About Shadow of colossus
Hi,I am somewhat new to emulation.(also to this forum).Pardon me for any wrong things.

Here is my system:
win 7 32bit, core2due 2.67GHz,4GB DDR3 ram with Nvidia's GTX 440.

Problem:I just played SOC a while.But I noticed that the gameplay speed is slow.Looks like watching movie in low fps.But on the top of title bar,
fps reading shows 59~60.EE is 55~70%.GS is 30~45%.Let me guess,GS=Graphics synthesizer or graphics card of ps2? What the heck is EE?

FPS around 60 but gameplay is slow!!Is the real game(in real ps2) also slow?
For your information,I never played this game on my real ps2.

Sponsored links

EE is the main thread of PCSX2, when it goes to 99% means your CPU is your bottleneck and in that case speedhacks may help you if you need extra speed (take in count they may cause problems in games like fake fps, or simply make the games work incorrectly or even not work at all).
This game is of the slowest ones and you can speed it up with the "VU cycle stealing" speedhack, just raise the slider to 2-3 and you should be set.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Thanks.I think I need to tell the pcsx2 settings.
PCSX2 0.9.9.r4897
Graphics:GSDX SSSE3,internal resolution is 2x,offset hack on,8 bit texture and interlacing off,
renderer is dx11 hardware.

speedhack:EE cycle rate 3,VU stealing is 3,enabled INTC spin detection,enabled wait loop detection
mVU flag hack on,mVU block hack on.
All other things is set at by default.
Why gameplay speed is slow(seems 15-20fps) and title bar constantly 59-60fps??!!
(09-14-2011, 10:07 AM)mistic_cave Wrote: Thanks.I think I need to tell the pcsx2 settings.
PCSX2 0.9.9.r4897
Graphics:GSDX SSSE3,internal resolution is 2x,offset hack on,8 bit texture and interlacing off,
renderer is dx11 hardware.

speedhack:EE cycle rate 3,VU stealing is 3,enabled INTC spin detection,enabled wait loop detection
mVU flag hack on,mVU block hack on.
All other things is set at by default.
Why gameplay speed is slow(seems 15-20fps) and title bar constantly 59-60fps??!!

Cause like shadowlady says, the hacks tends to show fakes fps some times, like in this case, use native resolution plus try changing the ee to 2 and play with vu 1-3 values, and see how many fps u rly got. o/

ps sot is one of the hardest games to emulate @full fps.
You already too much using speedhacks especcially vu cycle stealing hack. That hack can give false FPS if set to 3X.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
Only a few PS2 games run at 60FPS, most run at 30 and the occasional oddball (like SotC) runs at less or with a variable framerate. On top of that, using the speed hacks you said (EE rate x3, VU steal at 3) you're basically emulating a PS2 running at about half speed... because of this and the fact that SotC easily pushed the PS2 to it's limits, you're basically playing the game at half speed even if the refresh rate is at 60.
[Image: 2748844.png]
ok trying and will give u result
with EE cycle rate 2 and VU stealing 1 and native resolution it still near to 60.Well not exactly 60 but average 52~60FPS.Lowest FPS I have seen,is 45.But game looks like 18-20fps at most.
oh forget to say that EE and GS is now at average near 90%.At very rare time it is close to 100%.Most of time both are at average 70~80fps.
Is the game running slow (as in slow motion) or low FPS (game plays full speed, but the image stutters)

If the former, there are too many speed hacks on. If the latter... well in SotC that's probably still true... but more so for SotC than other games, because the game actually uses a variable frame rate (unlike most PS2 games which are constant Framerate) that means if the PS2 hardware can't keep up it drops frames to keep full speed... and many of the speed hacks are based on the concept that an 'underclocked' PS2 is easier to emulate(especially the EE cycle and VU cycle steal hacks) so that's just asking for problems.

The inherent design of SotC means that is generally runs at a lower framerate than most other PS2 games, and 'underclocking' the PS2 further compounds on this. The problem is that to run the game without any speed hacks at all greatly diminishes the people who can play the game at full speed.
[Image: 2748844.png]
@Koji,Have you played god of war ghost of sparta in jpcsp.It is just like that.Game sound is ok.but character seems slow.It is more like playing just cause 2 at very low fps.What do u mean by image stutters anyway?
I think the actual game in real ps2 is also slow.Damn why'd I bought this?!Well I will be sure when my ps2 will be back from my brother.