About the 0.9.7 betas
I know this probably shouldn't be posted, and I'm not really looking for support for it, it's more of a question. I've been playing around with the last few releases (2382 being the latest) and there's one thing thats been in each version that I know isn't the video plugin, its the bright white borders. In 0.9.6 and r1888, when you choose wide screen, the borders are basic black, looks nice and isn't really hard on the eyes. The bright white thats been in all the releases of 2000+ series, will that remain this way or will it be put back to
black at the time of official release. It's really kinda distracting from the game...

Also, in my head this question is sounding like a support question, but its not meant to be, more of a question so I can be sure in the future releases when i make my settings. Anyway, I noticed that the VU cycle steal has been brought down to 4 notches from the usual 5 notches. I play rev 1888 on the 4th notch for most of my games. Is the 4th notch in the 2000+ rev the same as the 4th notch in the rev 1888? or has all that been changed around too?

(BTW. i really would like to say nice job on the new UI's guys. I'm really liking where this is going)
------------
CPU: Core I7 Q720
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT240M
Ram: 4 gigs

Sponsored links

-The white (grey, really Tongue2 ) background will be changed to black, yeah.
-I didn't look at the cycle steal hack code, but the hacks "efficiency" is game dependent anyway.
(So you should really not default it to any of the enabled settings, it might be way too much for a given game you play.)
(12-22-2009, 03:09 PM)rama Wrote: -The white (grey, really Tongue2 ) background will be changed to black, yeah.
-I didn't look at the cycle steal hack code, but the hacks "efficiency" is game dependent anyway.
(So you should really not default it to any of the enabled settings, it might be way too much for a given game you play.)

Yeah i'm colorblind lol, so the grey looks white to me.

As for the Vu cycle steal thing. I have it on 4 for things such as FFX, FF12, Star Ocean TEoT. Games like Ar Tonelico and such I don't need it for at all(well maybe ar tonelico cuz it speeds up the world map), But yeah, that hack has made all of those run at pretty much full speed on my old ass machine, so I was curious about the new way it seems to be done in the new versions. But with the 5th notch missing, i have no clue where you guys took one out from, so i'm a bit confused. (It actually took about an hour or testing to find the 4th notch was the best setting for the games i listed. I should probably run a test or two when the new version comes out to find the sweet spot again i suppose)

You know, i just had a great idea, For the new gui, is it possible to add an option to create a .txt file of current settings(CPU, Speedhacks, plugins, etc), so that way people can just post that here rather than giving information that might not be helpful in figuring out their problems? Plus it would allow the devs to look at something more concrete in terms of he says/she says, an offical log of the settings being uploading may be a bit more truthful in giving you guys bug reports.
------------
New gui versions have a screen capture button so that a picture can be taken of all current settings.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(12-23-2009, 01:17 AM)Koji Wrote: New gui versions have a screen capture button so that a picture can be taken of all current settings.

Really? I didn't even notice that. I'll have to check that out. That's even better than my idea.
------------
Yeah I 'borrowed' the idea from GPU-Z. It has one, and it's cool. So I thought: hmm! Why not? Screenshot button for all! yay.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Just one of the many, small but nice additions to pcsx2/wx Tongue2

About the vu cycle steal hack:
Well, I'm not very happy with the (very basic) setup of this.
I might spend some time and refine it some day, so at that point it'll work differently anyway Tongue2
(12-23-2009, 08:36 AM)rama Wrote: Just one of the many, small but nice additions to pcsx2/wx Tongue2

About the vu cycle steal hack:
Well, I'm not very happy with the (very basic) setup of this.
I might spend some time and refine it some day, so at that point it'll work differently anyway Tongue2

about that cycle steal thing. is it possible to code it where it wont have to steal cycles, but can you code it to have more cycles at its disposal that it doesn't have to steal? If i am understanding this properly. It steals cycles from another part. Why not let the other part keep its cycles while adding more cycles to whatever you are stealing it to(i dont remember all the proper terms for things. read the blog once). of course an option to turn off the addition of cycles should exist as well(since it can possibly create bugs)

Sorry if it sounds stupid, I don't exactly know how everything all works. I have a basic knowledge, but as for the inner workings, I'm a bit rusty.
------------
It doesn't work like that Tongue2
The hack just adds cycles to the EE cycle counter whenever the VU's are run (which shouldn't be done normally)
The next time the EE is run, it'll see that a lot of time has gone by, and it'll "work harder" to make up for it.
Essentially it's a EE sync hack, just only triggered when the VU's are run.
(12-23-2009, 10:04 AM)InfelPira Wrote: If i am understanding this properly. It steals cycles from another part. Why not let the other part keep its cycles while adding more cycles to whatever you are stealing it to(i dont remember all the proper terms for things. read the blog once). of course an option to turn off the addition of cycles should exist as well(since it can possibly create bugs)

Not understood correctly. Cycle stealing doesn't "give" cycles to anything else. It steals cycles and nothing gets them -- ie they're simply not run. They're skipped. That's what makes it run faster.

Adding cycles back elsewhere would just make it a hack, and neutralize the "speed" part. Tongue2
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team