Accidentally Deleted Ini's Folder. Memory Cards Wiped
I accidentally deleted the PCSX2 folder (which contains PCSX2 Ini files) from the Documents area as I am using a different file path than default for all folders. After racking in roughly 60+hrs to FFX and other games, I accidentally deleted this folder, thus restoring all settings to default. After restoring all settings and loading up my memory cards, they now read as never being formatted and their creation date is that of the day I first used them, before the first format.

Even after restoring the Documents folder and ini's PCSX2 still asks to configure PCSX2.

Is there any way possible (as I still have the MemCards I used to save everything I had) to bring back my saved games? Maybe a Memory Card manager like that of Dolphin where I can manually add and remove saved games, more or less to see what is on the card.

Also, is there anyway to change the file path in which PCSX2 looks for Ini files? As I don't save my PCSX2 files in Documents (default), but in another folder path.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

The location of the inis folder is fixed (My Documents - if you installed it with the installer, or just where pcsx2.exe is - if you used the portable version). However, you can change the paths of most of the other folders, as follows:
Plugins/BIOS/Save States/Screenshots/Logs : Config->Plugins/Bios Selector
Memory cards : Config->Memory Cards

The memory cards configuration dialog also allows you to choose which files at this folder you want "inserted". However, all of them must be at the same folder.

So you should either copy the memory card files which contain the saves to your current memory cards folder and choose them to be inserted, or change the memory cards folder to that which contains your older memory cards.
(12-18-2011, 01:47 AM)avih Wrote: The location of the inis folder is fixed (My Documents - if you installed it with the installer, or just where pcsx2.exe is - if you used the portable version). However, you can change the paths of most of the other folders, as follows:
Plugins/BIOS/Save States/Screenshots/Logs : Config->Plugins/Bios Selector
Memory cards : Config->Memory Cards

The memory cards configuration dialog also allows you to choose which files at this folder you want "inserted". However, all of them must be at the same folder.

So you should either copy the memory card files which contain the saves to your current memory cards folder and choose them to be inserted, or change the memory cards folder to that which contains your older memory cards.

I must be more specific. Sorry.

What I am saying is when first installing PCSX2 it creates a folder at Documents\PCSX2 by default, which contains the folders \bios, \inis, \logs, \memcards, \snaps and \savestates. Upon redirecting all of PCSX2 \Plugins, \bios and \memcards folders towards my Downloads\PCSX2 folder, everything is fine, memcards save and reload, plugins are found and loaded.

But!...when I decide to delete (first time was an accident) the folder from the default location of Documents\PCSX2, it seems to wipe my cards back to their original state of creation which are located in Downloads\PCSX2. Why is this and how can this be fixed (if it can be fixed/reversed)?

It seems as if deleting the inis folder from it's default and fixed location tends to wipe my memory cards back to their original creation date regardless of their location, if they were the ones being used as Slot 1 and Slot 2 memory cards.
(12-18-2011, 09:14 AM)SimplisticBeing Wrote: I must be more specific. Sorry.

What I am saying is when first installing PCSX2 it creates a folder at Documents\PCSX2 by default, which contains the folders \bios, \inis, \logs, \memcards, \snaps and \savestates. Upon redirecting all of PCSX2 \Plugins, \bios and \memcards folders towards my Downloads\PCSX2 folder, everything is fine, memcards save and reload, plugins are found and loaded.

OK, so far so good, right? You pointed 3 folders elsewhere from their default location, and it seems to work.

(12-18-2011, 09:14 AM)SimplisticBeing Wrote: But!...when I decide to delete (first time was an accident) the folder from the default location of Documents\PCSX2, it seems to wipe my cards back to their original state of creation which are located in Downloads\PCSX2. Why is this and how can this be fixed (if it can be fixed/reversed)?

It seems as if deleting the inis folder from it's default and fixed location tends to wipe my memory cards back to their original creation date regardless of their location, if they were the ones being used as Slot 1 and Slot 2 memory cards.

Deleting the inis folder resets PCSX2's setting, including the other folders location, so your "filled" memcards at the non-default location are NOT used, and instead, it creates clean cards at the default location. So it didn't really wipe the cards - they're exactly where you left them, but they're just not used because PCSX2 doesn't know where they are because that info was at the ini files which you deleted.

This is what happens (folder location resets and new empty cards are created at the default folder) and why.

Is it "fixable"? define what's broken... if you hoped that after deleting the inis folder it would still remember your custom location, then no, this cannot and will not be "fixed" because IMO it's not broken.

If, however, you wanted a solution to the problem that you want to use your old "filled" cards and not empty ones, then it's exactly what I described at my previous post: either re-config the memcards location to the folder which contains your "filled" memcards, or move the card files themselves to the default location.

If you have a different problem, please describe again exactly what you think is broken or what problem you try to solve.

Lol. I thought I explained it well.

Let me try again.

An easier way of putting this.

PS2-Memory Card-Saved Data

I format my PS2 (as if deleting the inis folder)

Now it looks like this

PS2-Memory Card-No Saved Data

So why is it when I delete the ini's folder, it wipes my cards clean?

If you need a video I can make one. But it may be a bit long since I would have to run through the whole installation to ensure proper knowledge of my setup. Let me know if you understand.
Sorry, I'm unable to follow you. Either someone else explains me your problem, or you explain it as follows:

1. I did the following steps:

2. As a result, it now: _________________
3. And it's bad because: ________________
4. So, instead of (2), I want it to be: _______________

Now fill in the blanks.
I can't seem to recreate the problem anymore, after setting up for video. I'm still a little ticked my Data was reset on my personal cards. But since I can't recreate the problem, there's nothing left to do but close this thread and move on. 60+hrs gone.

I still believe something is amiss with the emulator. My data is simply gone, and since I didn't use the default memcard location or file name, it baffles me as to how my cards are now wiped clean. My cards were named PS2 Card 1 and PS2 Card 2 and located outside of the Documents\PCSX2 folder, so even if default recreated new cards, it would not have interacted with MY personal cards. I guess this is what happens when getting into emulating. Also my Savestates were labeled as corrupted. These files are still corrupted and can't be used as of now. I have since restarted FFX with new memcards and savestates.

Take care and sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. I guess from now on, no deleting inis folders. Thanks for the cooperation.

P.S. I think you should allow the inis folder to be relocated. How could it hurt?
have you tried to find the deleted file from your recycle bin?
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(12-19-2011, 01:49 AM)tallbender Wrote: have you tried to find the deleted file from your recycle bin?
Restoring the ini file didn't work. I was unable to re-create the problem and have since kept automatic backups of the memory cards. I think it was a glitch on my end. Something like a per user risk of random happenings. If this ever happens again, be sure I will come back to here.

For now I just ask all those with memory cards attached to their emulators and their locations saved to the ini, try not to delete this ini folder. Just in case.

P.S. I still would like full control over where files are saved. Since I don't use my Documents folder for my emulators files, as I have them on auto-backup, means remembering to backup my Documents folder every once and a while manually.
Just create an empty file called "portable.ini" inside pcsx2 folder(where you keep the program) all your settings and stuff will be keept there from then;P(you'll need to manually move your past settings/saves/screenshoots etc. from "my documents" through).