Advanced configuration settings? Need a bit of help
Hello hello. I had a few questions that I couldn't find information for searching the forums and the net, so I decided to come here and ask directly.

I have been using PCSX2 on my desktop where it has run perfectly (E8400 cpu and 9600GT vid card). My questions, however, concern my new laptop. I assumed that it wouldn't run perfectly (it runs okay), but I was wondering if there were things I could do to improve performance.

Here are my laptop specs:
i7 3610QM
8GB Memory
Geforce 630M video
Windows 7

My job involves lots of travel, and since lugging around a ps2 isn't very practical, I was hoping to use this laptop to play Dragon Quest VIII. Currently I have gotten pretty decent performance out if it using 0.9.6 (because that one has VU Skip settings), getting full speed in most places (slows down a bit in towns). Using 0.9.8 is much slower, oddly enough, so I wanted to know what I could do to speed it up. Here are my questions:

1) Does 0.9.8 do any auto frameskipping? If so, how do I access those settings? 0.9.6's VU Skip was a great setting, and I was a bit surprised to not see it.

2) Would I get speedups using different audio plugins?

3) Just to confirm: Can I use memory card files from a different version of PCSX2? (Incase I change versions or decide to use one of the 0.9.9 betas)

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks all.

Sponsored links

You will not get any help with 0.9.6 use 0.9.8 or better yet just use the latest svn which can be found here http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.p...indows-x86 After getting that set up go to the speedhack settings and enable MTVU if it isnt enabled by default which I think it is on the newer svns. That will net you a nice speed up on your quad core i7
1) The Frame skipping is throughout the game.

Config --> Emulation Settings --> GS.

2) Hmm. Not tried that. Well, SPU2-X is best and does not lags for me. ZeroSPu2 is a bit Crappy and so i don't bother to use it. Tongue2

3)Yes! You can use Memory Cards. Savestates might not work.
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
(07-13-2012, 06:46 PM)Topken Wrote: You will not get any help with 0.9.6 use 0.9.8 or better yet just use the latest svn which can be found here http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.p...indows-x86 After getting that set up go to the speedhack settings and enable MTVU if it isnt enabled by default which I think it is on the newer svns. That will net you a nice speed up on your quad core i7

That's the thing: I do get better performance out of 0.9.6 than the later versions. This is because of the VU skip option. Maybe it can't achieve the highest speeds as the newer versions, but I get more consistent speed with the auto frameskipping, keeping speeds at lower framerates rather than just slowing down like 0.9.8 does. Why is there now auto-frameskipping in the newer versions?
^
Yeah but the new svn's have MTVU which places Vu on its own core, making it faster than 0.9.6, 0.9.7 or 0.9.8 on 3d titles if you have a quad core or above
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
The MTVU hack will force the emulator to use an addtional CPU core which will speed up the emulator and that is why I am suggesting you use it. You have a quad core cpu there and without the mtvu hack the emulator will only use 2 of those cores but with it it will force the emulator to use 3 giving a great boost in speed in most games. So you wil no longer need the vu optionj if you use the SVN i linked to.

Basically the VU skip is no longer needed thanks to MTVU adding suuport for 3+ core cpus like you are are currently running.