Alienware M14X Optimization Help
I have an M14X with the i7 chipset and the GeForce GT555m. I can't manage to tweak the settings enough to play anything. The two games I've tried are Stuntman and Gran Turismo 3. Any help?? I've heard that the i7 CPU isn't enough to facilitate the needs of the emulation but I refuse to believe that. Once again any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored links

What model i7 is it, anyway...?

Try not to judge overall capabilities by just a couple games.
I do believe those two aren't the easiest to emulate.
i hva the same specs as the alienware and you can run practically everything you want but the games you listed are quite demanding and i havent tried them yet. try some speed hacks and see if that improves fps also use the latest svn
(04-23-2012, 07:26 AM)Rezard Wrote: What model i7 is it, anyway...?

Try not to judge overall capabilities by just a couple games.
I do believe those two aren't the easiest to emulate.

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.0 GHz.
My question is very similar to the above one as well so I hope it will be ok to post it here:

Similar to the M14x, I'm thinking of getting an M11x r3 with i5 1.4GHz and NVIDIA 540M 2GB. The general faq lists all i5 cards as being acceptable to play with pcsx2 and I was wondering if this would be true for the i5 1.4GHz.

Thank you for your reply,
The clock speed would be way too low to actually enjoy decent emulating or playing games on PS2 Smile Minimal recommendation is still a quad core with 3 Ghz speed Smile
(04-23-2012, 05:29 AM)Chuckles83 Wrote: I have an M14X with the i7 chipset and the GeForce GT555m. I can't manage to tweak the settings enough to play anything. The two games I've tried are Stuntman and Gran Turismo 3. Any help?? I've heard that the i7 CPU isn't enough to facilitate the needs of the emulation but I refuse to believe that. Once again any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Actually, the i7 2630QM CPU is not bad for PCSX2, at least using the MTVU hack and Throttlestop. My laptop is an Asus G53SW-SZ114V (Same CPU, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB VRAM), and so far, all the games i played on it are perfect (not a lot, but some of them are known to be pretty heavy, like MGS2). The only small hiccup i managed to run into was a massive slowdown while playing FFXII International and using Basch's Third Mist Knack (14-15 FPS when the fire swords hit the enemy and fire covers the screen), but i solved the problem lowering the Custom Resolution from 1280x720 to 2x.

Sure, Xenosaga or MGS3, at least from what i read in the forum should still be heavy as f**k, but maybe with a bit of overclock... I don't know about the Alienware, but for the asus, with a good cooling pad there may be some margin for squeezing more mhz out of the CPU.

I'm going to do some tests on GT3 as soon i can get my copy back and i will report the results.