All games run slow
Hello all.

I am new to emulating PS2 (but not emulating in general). I'm trying to play my PS2 games in better quality than the PS2 itself does. No matter what game I play though, I always lag to around 50% speed. I know PS2 emulation may not be easy on the computer, but I've got a fairly good computer. I used to emulate gamecube with no problems. I will type my specs below.

I have tried several different "best configuration guides", with no changes. I have tested Jak 2, Jak 3, and God of War 1, with pretty similar results across the board. They play, but they lag to unplayability. Jak 2 I ripped to ISO, but I tried all three straight from the disk, and still the slowdown persists. I have played around with the settings in the speedhack menu, I am running PCSX2 1.4.0, which I believe is the current version.

When I run a game (picking jak 2 as the example) speed hovers around 50%. I have tried using both the software and hardware renderers for Direct 3D 9 and 11. I am only trying to play the games at 3x native, but the game still lags to 50% when just using native.

Windows 7
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor (6 cores, 3.20 GHz for speed)
10gb of DDR3 Ram, composed of three 2gb sticks and a 4 gb stick
AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card with 1gb onboard memory

I recently re-installed windows from scratch to fix other issues (I believe a driver incompatibility with windows 10, but I was never certain; the issue is gone now.) and I have not had issues with any programs other than PCSX2 (this is my first time ever trying to run PCSX2; thought I'd make that clear, since it seemed a little ambiguous.) Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask.

Sponsored links

Well for starters the recommended CPU Single Thread Rating is 1600 or better your CPU has a STR of 1221. Depending on the games you are trying to play that simply won't cut it, you may be able to get a better experience with speedhacks depending on the game.

What video backend are you using (DX9, DX11, openGL?) and what games are you trying to play?
Desktop:
Ryzen 7 5800X | MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R | MSI X570 unify | 32GB DDR4@3600 MHz (14-14-14-34) | EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
1TB + 2TB WD Black SN770 | Windows 11 Pro x64
(01-10-2017, 03:31 AM)Carsomyr Wrote: Well for starters the recommended CPU Single Thread Rating is 1600 or better your CPU has a STR of 1221. Depending on the games you are trying to play that simply won't cut it, you may be able to get a better experience with speedhacks depending on the game.

What video backend are you using (DX9, DX11, openGL?) and what games are you trying to play?

I had tried DX9 and DX11. Just now, I tried OpenGL, and still the same. I have tried both hardware and software.

The main game I want to play for now is Jak 2. But none of the 3 games I tried had anything close to a playable speed.

That is disappointing about the CPU though. I've had the computer since 2011, and this may be the first time I've pitted it against a project that is too intense for it. It doesn't even look like I've got much option for updating my CPU.
AMD is pretty poor for anything requiring a high STR, and there GPUs also have terrible openGL drivers, so the openGL backend is probably no good for you. You can reference this and play with some of the hacks mentioned in the last post to see if you can get a better experience, but if not I am afraid you are out of luck.
Desktop:
Ryzen 7 5800X | MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R | MSI X570 unify | 32GB DDR4@3600 MHz (14-14-14-34) | EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
1TB + 2TB WD Black SN770 | Windows 11 Pro x64
Could you show us your GSDX settings and all of the tabs under Emulation Settings please? There is a little camera icon in the bottom left you can click on to easily take screenshots.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-10-2017, 11:38 AM)refraction Wrote: Could you show us your GSDX settings and all of the tabs under Emulation Settings please?  There is a little camera icon in the bottom left you can click on to easily take screenshots.

I don't even remember the last guide I tried to use to get everything configured. It is still probably setup that from that guide.

I have included the screenshots as attachments: O tried to just include them in the message body, but it made the message too large.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Okay first things first, go easy on those speedhack sliders, think about bringing them down to setting 1 or 2, in fact the EE cyclerate slider you've got totally the wrong way, you're making it worse for yourself (if you read the red warning text underneath it). try putting it one or two to the left of centre.

Secondly, change your renderer on GSDX to Direct3D11 (hardware) and bring the internal resolution back down to "Native" or try x2 if it doesn't make much difference.

Since your playing the Jak series, the first thing you should do is getting the latest PCSX2 git version: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

Then in the GSdx Video Plugin settings, set Mipmapping to Basic.

But expect slowdown no matter what your settings are. The Jak games cause slowdowns even on PC's much faster than yours.
(01-10-2017, 03:52 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Since your playing the Jak series, the first thing you should do is getting the latest PCSX2 git version: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

Then in the GSdx Video Plugin settings, set Mipmapping to Basic.

But expect slowdown no matter what your settings are. The Jak games cause slowdowns even on PC's much faster than yours.

Thanks for everyones feedback!

Switching to the most recent git version, as well as adjusting the cyclerates, made a difference. It still lags some, and the graphics look odd at times, but it is at least playable (at least, until too many people appear onscreen).
Let's say I were to update the CPU (and the motherboard, my current mobo doesn't support anything recent) would it be theoretically possible to run the Jak games lagless and at high quality? Reading around the forums, they seem to be kinda tricky to emulate.

I'm actually studying for my A+ certifications, and this would be a good excuse to get some experience installing new parts before I take the test, as well as resulting in a better computer.
Not without replacing your motherboard and ram as well no, sorry!

I think the best experience you can get is to drop a q6600 in there, overclock it, then make use of the mtvu speedhack. That would probably be quicker thanks to the extra cores