Am i getting full performance
CPU- AMD phenom ii x4 965
Gpu-Radeon HD 7770 MSI pc edition
RAM- 8 GB 1600mhz
I do have the latest drivers

So I'm playing Okami and I'm getting around 60fps consistently, which is really good but shouldn't I be getting better performance? I mean I know my computer isn't gaming beast but they're really good specs and the ps2 is way weaker than my pc. Am I getting appropiater performance for my build?

Sponsored links

Quote:So I'm playing Okami and I'm getting around 60fps consistently, which is really good but shouldn't I be getting better performance?
if it's NTSC, full speed is 60 FPS
Quote: I mean I know my computer isn't gaming beast but they're really good specs and the ps2 is way weaker than my pc
Of course, but we're talking about emulation, not native PC games. That's a lot more different.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
So even if u had a beast build 60 fps is limit due to NTSC?
Because the frame limiter is on 60fps, much like a speed limit sign that is actually obeyed Tongue . If you removed the limiter it could go faster, but then the gameplay would be too fast.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(05-26-2013, 08:15 PM)LiquidJava Wrote: So even if u had a beast build 60 fps is limit due to NTSC?

It's not the "limit", instead think it as the TV NTSC standard. Unlike PC where the "pace" is tied with the real time (meaning things look moving at correct speed being at 30 FPS or 120 FPS, changing only the smoothness)... running TV based console games at different FPS is translated as the game running in slow motion or too fast depending on the offset.

So yes, 60 FPS is the full performance for NTSC game (50 FPS for PAL) and more, it is the "correct" FPS.

PS: This could be understood being like an actual celluloid film where the picture is already fixated on the frame, so the frequency the frames are sampled directly affect the image changes pace. In PC the picture is "painted" into the frames depending on the real time movement... in PC a car would get from point A to point B in 6 seconds and would take 6 secs independent on the FPS... at consoles, doubling the FPS the car would be at the point B in half that time, 3 secs in this case, meaning it is moving at twice the expected speed.

PPS: Another way to understand it is to remember the movement is not continuous, the car from the above example "jumps or teleports" from one position to another in discrete steps. In PC, increasing the FPS means the number of steps the car takes to move increases as well, at the same time the length of the steps is reduced (the movement becomes smoother). At console the length of the steps is predefined and does not change, so what changes is the speed the movement occurs (not exactly so but close enough).
Imagination is where we are truly real
simple answer: you have a good enough pc, but there's a FPS limiter in PCSX2 so you play at a normal speed.
you could turn it off but then the game would be too fast, as nosisab said it's not like in PC games where the higher FPS is the smoother it is, in PS2 the time is frame-dependant so if you run a NTSC game at 120FPS it would be twice as fast, rather than being smoother.
Allright i undestand now i was just a little confused about the fps thing. Thnaks for all the replies!