An Idea I had for a Partner Program to PCSX2
Okay, I apologize if this post is in the wrong forum, but "off-topic" seemed like the right place for this.

Basically, I have an idea for a partner program to PCSX2, which I have begun working on.

[/b]Theory[/u]
This little program is called "PCSX2 Helper". Basically, when you insert a PS2 game into your drive, PCSX2 Helper will read the disc and check it against an online database and (if the info is available), download and display detailed information about the inserted game, in terms of the game itself, technical requirements to run the game (in PCSX2), the best plugins and settings to use for that specific game, required FPS rates for smooth gameplay and general bugs/graphical issuses. I apologize if the amount of info that reviewers will have to provide is lengthly and complex but... the whole point of this program is to be very detailed and complex. I am hoping that this program will also promote legal emaluation, as you can only get information on games that are physically in your disc drive, on a CD/DVD.

[/b]Screenshots[/u]
[Image: p-1.png]
The section displaying general information about the PS2 game in the drive.
(NOTE: The only reason that I am using a Spyro game as an example is because this particular game is one of the only games that I have that run perfectly smoothly in PCSX2, not because I still play it.)
[Image: p-2.png]
This section displays information about the best graphics plugin and settings to use for the game that is currently in the disc drive. Clicking the green arrow button will direct the user to a webpage where they can download the recommended plugin if it is not included with PCSX2.
[Image: p-3.png]
This section displays information about the plugin to use to get the best possible audio quality for the game currently in the user's disc drive. This section works in a very similar way to the graphics one.
[Image: p-5.png] - I am not sure why this image doesn't embed. I have tested the direct link, just normally in my browser and it works fine. View it here: http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/...ge/p-5.png
This section shows the FPS rates required for smooth performance from the inserted game, NOT necessarily the reviewer's average frame rate.
[Image: p-6.png]
This is the gameplay section. In this section, the reviewer first lists their PC specs and then lists any bugs and specific glitches that they can find in bullet form.

Contributing
This project will rely ENTIRELY on the contributions of game information from PCSX2 users, so if you have a game (or games) that run at a perfect speed and pace please, please bear this project in mind when it is released, as by then I will have a proper submission form up and running.

Future

Regardless of whether this project is endorsed by the devs of PCSX2, I will still certainly release it, as I have spent many, many... many hours and weeks on it.

Website
This website will be used, well as a homepage for this project, a storage house for the PCSX2 Helper database and will eventually contain downloads and a submission form for people to submit game information to the PCSX2 Helper database.

PCSX2 Helper Site: http://pcsx2helper.byethost17.com

Feedback

I would really like to know what people think of this, so please start commenting! (The exclamation mark is one of enthusiasm, not anger.)

Update: Finished the main program, now I just need to get people to help me databasing games!

Sponsored links

Oh my,this program seems very good,with one little exception,that option (recommended fps) well i say that for any person willing to play the game just fine id say full speed always,and when you are giving some sorta "recommended" this can vary from one person to another,i mean ofr example for me a playable game should be at 50 fps or more,and for some others can be more or less depending
the other thing is, that all test should be done on the same hardware for the sake of consistency so that people could compare their system and to try to guess what would the result be for their build.
(04-04-2010, 04:55 PM)diegochiha Wrote: Oh my,this program seems very good,with one little exception,that option (recommended fps) well i say that for any person willing to play the game just fine id say full speed always,and when you are giving some sorta "recommended" this can vary from one person to another,i mean ofr example for me a playable game should be at 50 fps or more,and for some others can be more or less depending

By "Recommended FPS", I am referring to the FPS rate required for a speed rate that is "just right" 9i.e: as if you were playing the game in a PS2.

I am actually very close to finishing this project, but I am still trying to work out a really good, foolproof method for disc scanning (i.e: so game double-ups don't occur.)
(04-05-2010, 01:47 AM)bmate Wrote: the other thing is, that all test should be done on the same hardware for the sake of consistency so that people could compare their system and to try to guess what would the result be for their build.
The hardware of the reviewer's PC is displayed in the "gameplay" section, so they would use that as a rough comparison to their PC. Generally, you would only submit a technical review of a game if it runs at full speed on your PC.
Hmm...how about using the .elf file to identify games?
I don't really know if that's unique to each game and/or each region, though; just taking a wild guess here.
Or maybe a hash of the files; that might also identify some 'undub' versions out there.
Intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz ([email protected])
Corsair CM2X1024 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 DRAM
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
(04-05-2010, 08:45 AM)k1net1cs Wrote: Hmm...how about using the .elf file to identify games?
I don't really know if that's unique to each game and/or each region, though; just taking a wild guess here.
Or maybe a hash of the files; that might also identify some 'undub' versions out there.

Not all PS2 games (at least the ones I own have .elf files. Anyway, at the moment the program uses the disc label in order to identify the game, but I want to make a better recognition system.
Maybe the system.cnf file then?

Disc label is fine, but I'm still more into using file hashes and/or directory structures to identify a disc.
I think it'd be a more generic but precise way to identify a disc, but will eat up more storage compared to a simple disc label.
Or maybe you can include both. Tongue2
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

(04-05-2010, 11:20 AM)k1net1cs Wrote: Maybe the system.cnf file then?

Disc label is fine, but I'm still more into using file hashes and/or directory structures to identify a disc.
I think it'd be a more generic but precise way to identify a disc, but will eat up more storage compared to a simple disc label.
Or maybe you can include both. Tongue2

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can get my app maker to read those files... sorry. By the way, what is a .cnf file?
It's a simple text file actually; just look for it on a PS2 disc.
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB