An Idea for the Compatibility List
The other day when I was browsing the net, I had an idea for the PCSX2 compatibility list. I've seen quite a lot of threads on this forum and other forums about how hard X game is to run in PCSX2, because they want to buy it in order to emulate it. I have noticed myself that it is not really meeting the recommended requirements for PCSX2 that gets you full speed when emulating, it's more the game itself. For instance, I do not meet the recommended requirements for PCSX2, yet I can get about half of my games to run at a good speed, yet some others will hang at about 20FPS.

I know that a lot of people have began to use PCSX2 as their only medium to play PS2 games. I would prefer doing this as well, as all my games are in one place. However, this raises the problem that even if X game is playable in the emulator, the buyer still does not know if X game will run at a good speed on their hardware.

This is where my idea comes in. I am proposing a "hardware number" to displayed next to each game on the compatibility list. This number will displayed next to each game and serves as a rough readout of the system specs you will need to get full speed on that game.

Here's how the system might work (note that these descriptions would be replaced with system specs that roughly match the descriptions):

0: The game itself won't work.
1: You meet the minimum requirements for PCSX2.... and that's about it.
2: You are a little above the minimum requirements. You can run some select games at half-speed but otherwise PS2 emulation is not your thing.
3: You are inbetween the minimum and recommended requirements. You can run some games like Final Fantasy X at fullspeed. You can't emulate most games though.
4: You nearly meet the recommended requirements. You can run about 4/10 games at full speed that don't have two many advanced effects at once, but only with speedhacks.
5: You just scrape under the recommended requirements. You can run 4/10 games that don't have too many effects at a full speed.
6: You meet the recommended requirements. You emulate a good half of playable games, but games like DBZ BT3 are still way out of your reach.
7: You are just above the recommended requirements and can emulate a good 6/10 of your games. However, you are still not able to emulate some games at full speed.
8: You are well above the recommended requirements. You can emulate 9/10 games at full speed, but you must have speedhacks and no other programs running.
9: Yo are WAY above the recommended requirements. You can emulate virtually any game at full speed unless you are using a recording software like FRAPS.
10: You have the GOD of all computers. You can run emulate any playable game at full speed without speedhacks, while recording the screen.

So for instance, this is how the system might work and would benefit people:

Say if I want to buy Dark Cloud 2 for PCSX2 (for the sake of argument). First I would go to the compatibility list and check that Dark Cloud 2 is playable. Great, it's playable. Then I would check the hardware number for Daek Cloud 2 (let's say it's 5 in this case), I would then navigate to the bottom of the list and compare the specs on my PC to the specs listed as the recommended requirements for games with the "5" hardware number. This listing would then allow me to get a realistic judgment of whether or not I will get full speed in the game.

This would take A LOT of work, but I think it really would be worth it in the long run. If this idea does go ahead, I would be happy to help by providing info myself.

Sponsored links

Funny, i had a similar idea too Happy

But i think that your idea is a little bit hard to realize because (I assume this, if im wrong then its not a big deal) the games of the compability list are tested by many different users with different hardware. So the first thing is that you cant set a "standard" hardware with a minimum and a maximum. If you have good hardware it might run, if not then not.
The second thing is, that you can set the speedhacks on, which can improve the game speed very much, so you dont know if the game runs slow even if you dont have a very good hardware.
If im wrong with something then sry, my fault Tongue

So my idea: in the compability list is a "detailed information" included. in it there are the detailed specs (i think cpu and graphics card are enough) of the user who tested the game, the average fps and maybe settings of the emulator (the used plugins would be good, but i think its enough to say if speedhakcs were used or not) described. So you would know "with this hardware and these settings i'm getting this much fps".
Hope you like my idea too, i would be happy if it could be realized (and if the idea of evil cabbage works too, i would also be happy) Biggrin
Yeah, actually I think that would be better. It would certainly help to clear up the "How well does INSERT GAME HERE run" threads.
I think it is a lot easier to use things that are already there instead of making something similar. If you guys are willing to help others, a great place to do it is to do it through
http://pcsx2.wikia.com/wiki/PCSX2_Wiki

Note: When you edit, you will need to keep in mind that compatibility and speed of running a game are highly depending on the your pc (i.e fast clocked cpu and high end video card), so if a game is run very slow, the problem may not be in the game or the pcsx2 but may likely be your pc. If you're not certain, do a quick check using the search function in forum.

Any questions regarding the wiki, you can ask in the wiki thread
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-wiki
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
Yep, what CKL says.
The official compatibility list is unlikely to get changed.
It exists because of the effort of some of the dedicated beta testers.
Those testers won't do any MORE work to classify the games than they do now.

The wiki is the best thing we have right now for user contributions.
There you can add all your ideas and it won't put any more work on the PCSX2 devs and testers Wink
(07-13-2010, 10:17 AM)evil cabbage Wrote: I know that a lot of people have began to use PCSX2 as their only medium to play PS2 games.

You are supposed to own a ps2 to use pcsx2 - for the bios. Assuming people just use the emulator to get around owning a ps2 is quite frustrating for the devs because that was not thier intentions nor is it good for the image of the emulator.
(07-13-2010, 09:58 PM)Grissy Wrote:
(07-13-2010, 10:17 AM)evil cabbage Wrote: I know that a lot of people have began to use PCSX2 as their only medium to play PS2 games.

You are supposed to own a ps2 to use pcsx2 - for the bios. Assuming people just use the emulator to get around owning a ps2 is quite frustrating for the devs because that was not thier intentions nor is it good for the image of the emulator.
I use it as my only medium, doesn't mean I don't own a ps2. I just like using pcsx2 instead of my PS2. just like I have a PSP with custom firmware so I don't have to lug around my UMDs it's just easier to use an ISO than a DVD/CD/UMD

This is witch hunting. Don't accuse people of being pirates just because they use words that could, on a cloudy day, be interpreted to imply that they might be using PCSX2 without a working PS2.

(which, btw, is perfectly legal if you dumped your bios 10 yrs ago and your PS2 exploded since).

So please, no witch hunting. You will get issued warnings.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(07-13-2010, 10:29 PM)Air Wrote:

This is witch hunting. Don't accuse people of being pirates just because they use words that could, on a cloudy day, be interpreted to imply that they might be using PCSX2 without a working PS2.

(which, btw, is perfectly legal if you dumped your bios 10 yrs ago and your PS2 exploded since).

So please, no witch hunting. You will get issued warnings.

Actually i told her to say that Wink and it wasnt witch hunting, she was just saying that we dont really like the fact people download the emulator as a means to get round having a console, that was all, she wasnt attempting to "catch him out" at all.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I am kind of the same as Saiki, I have a PS2, but it's becoming senile now and it's just easier to play all my games from one place. In no sense was I trying to suggest that a majority of people use PCSX2 for piracy.

Thanks about the wiki by the way, I will certainly be contributing to it.