Analog mode - how?
My analog stick will not work with pcsx2 and I would like to try switching to analog mode in hopes that this will fix the problem. However, the option to do so is greyed out under lilypad settings (see pic). Why is this and what can I do to make the option clickable?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

What pad are you actually using? With my 360 pad I just manually bound it under the 'pad 1' option along the top, all the buttons to be bound are there, including the two analogue sticks. These gave me full 360 movement, including the slow/fast movement depending how far you move the stick. I imagine you can do the same with any other analogue controller?
Hi,
It's a generic PC pad. Are you saying you mapped the analog stick controls manually? Because when I try to do that, the controls for the left analog stick get mapped automatically to the d-pad and the right analog stick to the triangle, circle, square and cross buttons. I click on "up" under "left analog stick", move the left analog stick up and it gets mapped instantly to the d-pad. Problem is that the game I'm playing has movement assigned to the analog stick and menu cycling assigned to the d-pad, so the two need to function independently, but I can't get them to. Any idea what to do?
(01-16-2011, 04:27 AM)paranvoi Wrote: Hi,
It's a generic PC pad. Are you saying you mapped the analog stick controls manually? Because when I try to do that, the controls for the left analog stick get mapped automatically to the d-pad and the right analog stick to the triangle, circle, square and cross buttons. I click on "up" under "left analog stick", move the left analog stick up and it gets mapped instantly to the d-pad. Problem is that the game I'm playing has movement assigned to the analog stick and menu cycling assigned to the d-pad, so the two need to function independently, but I can't get them to. Any idea what to do?

Yeah, I did. Unfortunately I can't help you, my guess would be that as its a generic pad, the designers didn't do a great job of setting the commands up if the analogue stick is mapping as the d-pad, but I'll let someone who knows more about pcsx2 help from here on out. Sorry!
Under the "General" tab in the "Device Diagnostics" window you should see all possible candidates, one of them may be named DX USB Joystick, highlight and test it noticing if all buttons and sticks behaves as expected.

Make sure DirectInput is checked at the game Device APIs. Actually you can have the two first and the last checked (I never used the native dual shock mode because never need it).

You may and normally should make sure the mouse API is disabled.

Under "Pads" window the actual pad should appear as Pad 1 with the number of bond buttons. To activate the option to use analog stick whenever possible you must highlight (select) the device you want to change. You can set the option but it should work as expected in the default mode.

The above settings grant Lilypad see your device the same way Windows does, if you still can't bind the correct buttons that means you probably can't do it in Windows too. The device may be hardware assembled this way or need special driver for Windows instead the default.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Hey iviv and ken thanks a bunch for your help. Ken, I did everything you said (actually the only thing I did was check analog mode, as everything else was already taken care of by default with lilypad's factory settings) and the analog sticks still will not work. What bugs me is that going in and mapping the d-pad (i.e. clicking "up" under d-pad) with the analog stick instead of the d-pad itself renders the analog stick functional, and in-game I am able to move the character with the analog stick. The consequence is, of course, that now the d-pad is disabled. It's as if the controller is physically unable to have both the d-pad and the analog stick functioning at the same time.

You mention something about special drivers for Windows instead of the default. Any idea what these might be and where to find them? I'm willing to try anything.

Alternatively, would using a PS2 controller solve my problems?
(01-16-2011, 04:31 PM)paranvoi Wrote: It's as if the controller is physically unable to have both the d-pad and the analog stick functioning at the same time.

If you have a cheap, own brand/no-name controller, it may be this is the case, something like this may have been done to cut costs, though its not really my area of expertise.

Quote:Alternatively, would using a PS2 controller solve my problems?

Personally, I would recommend a 360 controller. The layout is slightly different to the dual shock 2's layout, the dpad and left analogue stick are reversed, but everything is so much simpler. As its made by Microsoft it is fully compatable with windows, and any game that is a 'Games for Windows' title will also support it as a method of input. Don't use it for FPSs, but I find that RPGs and Driving games play far better on a pad than a keyboard (Though a proper wheel beats the pad, though I digress).

As for cost, I don't think they cost much more than the adaptor to allow you to plug the ps2 controller into your PC would cost, and that may have configuration or driver issues. Just make sure you get a wired 360 pad, wireless is more expensive as you also have to buy a reciever.
Plus if you ever do get a 360, you can use it on there as well, though I don't have any plans to get one.

So, to answer your second question, using a ps2 controller with an adaptor would probably solve the problems, but I personally would recommend spending a little more to get a pad that deffinately works. Then again, there's probably lots of people on these forums who've used adaptors with no problem, and can recommend ones that work to you, so you could save some money, its up to you Tongue2
Paranvoi, a specific driver depends on your device brand and model.

If on win7 you should open the "Devices and Printers" found in the Start menu. The joystick should be there, right click it and in "Game Control Settings" ... you may want to enjoy the opportunity to calibrate it, but the reason to get there is to verify if the analog stick works as expected.

If it doesn't, so that is the reason to have problems to configure it in LilyPad. I don't know many models, all the joypad I used to day, with two analog sticks, worked just fine and needing not any special care other than properly binding the buttons in Lilypad.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-16-2011, 01:01 AM)paranvoi Wrote: My analog stick will not work with pcsx2 and I would like to try switching to analog mode in hopes that this will fix the problem. However, the option to do so is greyed out under lilypad settings (see pic). Why is this and what can I do to make the option clickable?
Just assign analog stick as D-pad. It works as well.
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go