Annoying Frame Rate Problem in FFX
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out with speed issues Im having with FFX on my comp. First, my specs:
Core2Duo P7350 2Ghz, 2MB L2cache (SSE1 - SSE4.1), 4gb DDR2 ram, Geforce 9600mGT 256mb ram,1280x800 display windows vista HP SP1.

Im currently running FFX (PAL) on the following settings:
~Graphics: -Windowed -D3D9 (hardware) -PixelShader2.0 -No interlacing -16:9 aspect ratio -internal res:800x800 - nLOOP hack, texture filtering, Logarithmic-Z, Alpha Correction(FBA)

~CPU: EERec(default settings), MTGS, Limit frames (all auto)

~SpeedHacks: Default Cycle Rate, IOPx2 Cycle Rate

Now my hardware is more than sufficient from what i gather, but most of the time my frame rate is say 44-46fps, in more corwded scenes or larger maps it goes down to about 32-36fps and when using IFRIT's overkill it can slow to 19fps halfway through the sequence! The other strange thing is that it appears the frame rate might slow down as I play the game over a few hours. When my CPU processes to about 40% or so my frame rate goes down to about 33-36fps. I need to have cpu usage of 2-6% to be able to play close to 50fps. Im confused.

before I was using these settings, I used D3d10 (hardware) and no speedhacks. Anyone can help me out?

Oh and I forgot to mention that im using GSDX SSE2 -> switching to GSDX SSE4 has a slight improvement on both D3d10 and 9, but my cpu usage rockets to 83%, but strangely pcsx2 shows cpu at 2-4%

Sponsored links

Quote:The other strange thing is that it appears the frame rate might slow down as I play the game over a few hours
Disable your laptop's power saving options.
and use pixel shader 3. I'd say use directx10 but in ff it tends to have the slightly annoying black line down the face problem.
Well Ill try pixel shader 3.0 to see how it works. As for laptop power saving im not quite sure what needs to be done, as I run my system at high performance all the time and when plugged in the performance shouldnt be limited. Do i need to go into BIOS and disable Intel Speedstep? Also, I think it might have something to do with CPU core temperature. Typically after gaming for an hour+ the CPU temp approaches 70C. At around that point frame rate slows down to about 36fps. If I stop for awhile and let my cpu cool down to 50C (bout 10 mins) then the game performance is better.
(04-05-2009, 03:48 AM)BaronVonchesto Wrote: Well Ill try pixel shader 3.0 to see how it works. As for laptop power saving im not quite sure what needs to be done, as I run my system at high performance all the time and when plugged in the performance shouldnt be limited. Do i need to go into BIOS and disable Intel Speedstep? Also, I think it might have something to do with CPU core temperature. Typically after gaming for an hour+ the CPU temp approaches 70C. At around that point frame rate slows down to about 36fps. If I stop for awhile and let my cpu cool down to 50C (bout 10 mins) then the game performance is better.

Every processor destroyer technology should be disabled in your bios.
Every power saving option in vista should be set to maximum performance, I've never seen Vista in my life, but if it's like Win7's then there is a couple of options to tweak.
Using DX10 if your GPU supports it is a must.
Don't know what using PS3 over PS2 gives (I personally didn't see any difference when i ran some tests) but use it just in case.
Win 7 is a vista remake.
(04-05-2009, 04:21 AM)Saiki Wrote: Win 7 is a vista remake.

I don't give a s--- care Smile
(04-05-2009, 04:22 AM)Cain Wrote:

I don't give a s--- care Smile

"I've never seen vista in my life but.."

ok, so you had no intent of actually knowing and helping, I'll remember that.

close, its vista done properly (and yes i hate vista). But can we not resort to OS bashing please and be constructive?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-05-2009, 04:25 AM)refraction Wrote:

close, its vista done properly (and yes i hate vista). But can we not resort to OS bashing please and be constructive?

hence me saying it was a remake.