Antivirus, d3doverider or graphics card options??
I just wanted to explain my problem in the hopes that it could prevent some poor soul from having the same frustration. I was having some nasty stuttering with all of my games. I experimented with R-type Final and Dragon Quest 8.

Every give or take a minute, my fps was dropping from 45 back up to 60 for about 1 to 2 seconds, audio would slow down and it was kinda of a real drawback to the whole effect of the game experience.

I installed d3doverider, turned on vsync in pcsx2 and my tweaked my graphics card options. Messed with some settings like pre-rendered frames, set to 3 and other meaningless options. Nothing seemed to help, but a couple of days ago I forgot to turn on silent mode in my Norton antivirus options.......

What do you know, I get pretty much seemless fps 98% of the time. I switch it on and the stutter comes right back. I've messed with a lot of the options and that is the one that brings it back.

Why on god greens holy land would that happen? While running any program like steam or media player classic or whatever resource hog, I put on silent mode and that gives me a little more of a noticeable performance increase. Why would that affect pcsx2????

Cpu: I5 2500k @ 3.3
Video Card: MSI GTX 560 TI
Mobo: Asus p8p67 Deluxe
Ram: Gskill 2x4 gb 1600
PSU: Thermaltake 850
Win 7 64 bit

Sponsored links

PCSX2 is extremely demanding, and if anything takes away resources then you can get lag. I don't know why you use Norton because it's garbage.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
What is the rpm of your HDD? I have a really decent pc but only a 5200rpm harddrive and the antivirus I had overused the harddrive a lot and slowed down my whole system.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
Yeah, I know a lot of people out there hate Norton. It can be a pain to remove, hogs resources and all but I've never gotten a virus since I've had it. I use malwarebytes, ccleaner, spybot if I have to and I don't install silly toolbars Laugh So my pc is very clean.

I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I moved the Dragon Quest 8 iso to the SSD and have pcsx2 on my spare hard drive which is a WD Green 3 TB SATA Hard Drive WD30EZRX. I would move pcsx2 over to the ssd but I thought that didn't matter? The spare isn't all THAT slow and it can't be that because I can replicate the stutter at will.

It works fine as it is now but why would this happen? Makes no sense. Makes me wonder if people have stuff running in the background that could effect performance. Since people always have stuff running, they might now think it could effect it. Stuff that they think is ok but might not be.
(12-14-2013, 08:25 AM)elric Wrote: I just wanted to explain my problem in the hopes that it could prevent some poor soul from having the same frustration. I was having some nasty stuttering with all of my games. I experimented with R-type Final and Dragon Quest 8.

Every give or take a minute, my fps was dropping from 45 back up to 60 for about 1 to 2 seconds, audio would slow down and it was kinda of a real drawback to the whole effect of the game experience.

I installed d3doverider, turned on vsync in pcsx2 and my tweaked my graphics card options. Messed with some settings like pre-rendered frames, set to 3 and other meaningless options. Nothing seemed to help, but a couple of days ago I forgot to turn on silent mode in my Norton antivirus options.......

What do you know, I get pretty much seemless fps 98% of the time. I switch it on and the stutter comes right back. I've messed with a lot of the options and that is the one that brings it back.

Why on god greens holy land would that happen? While running any program like steam or media player classic or whatever resource hog, I put on silent mode and that gives me a little more of a noticeable performance increase. Why would that affect pcsx2????

Cpu: I5 2500k @ 3.3
Video Card: MSI GTX 560 TI
Mobo: Asus p8p67 Deluxe
Ram: Gskill 2x4 gb 1600
PSU: Thermaltake 850
Win 7 64 bit

your problem is norton it WAS always a huge resource hog and that has not change. it why alot people dont use it no more special when there is free AV that do the same and work just as good and use way less resources.

I never got virus in 5+ years I used Avast and the 2+ years before that I use ClamAV, and the 4 years before that using AVG. If you pay attention to what you doing and know where you going your not gona get virus.

And Normal HDD or more then fast enough to get data off of ISO with out stutter, unless said drive is dying or failing, or never been defraged. And if you can be produced at will cause of norton you have your aswner to what is the problem. it is norton bloat ware resources heavy, Every time I Seen norton on PC i crindge simple cause I know it is slow the pc down, by good amount compared to alot of other AV and it royal pain to remove not to mention time consuming to do its the only uninstallers I ever seen take forever to uninstall was from norton software (not even installing or uninstall windows updates take as long and they take while to do) and usual never removed all its stuff in first place needing you to down a software remover from norton them selves.

That and PCSX2 is more demand then any PC game on the market plain and simple and norton is killing your performance more then any other AV will do so And the fact that your computer outs specs mine cpu and ram wise tells me its norton.

Every laptop my parents got in the last 5 years had norton AV on and ran terrible slow untill I removed it and put Avast on it even they noticed the laptops ran faster which saying something seeing they barely know how to use the laptop. Norton is not worth the performance hit you gona get, nor is really worth it to pay for AV let alone sub to virus updates in this day in age. When most AV give you free definition updates for free and are update almost daily.
Yeah, I been thinking about moving on from Norton for a little while now. I might go with Avast.

It still confuses me though, how silent mode, the mode that is suppose to use less resources gives me a stutter? Makes no sense to me. Like you said though, it's prolly been bloated for like a long time and the stutters were like small gas bubbles hehe

I'm glad it works but it was such a pain to figure this out. I was starting to research GTX 670's and all.... well, I'll prolly still do that lol
I think silent mode is only responsible for less messages like "new definitions loaded", "potential virus blocked". Silent mode does not affect the cpu/hdd-consumption.

For me Avast worked nicely for the last years. Still it seems to me that they start to blow up the utility to have a better "usability". So maybe Avast will not be the best choice in the near future... But till now it is my favorite..
I've been using Bitdefender free edition, it seems pretty reasonable as an AV. Its usability has a lot to be desired, the interface is very limited, but other than that it's fine, and of course free
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Granted Norton is somewhat of a hog, but even if you remove it don't expect a gigantic performance boost.

(12-14-2013, 09:03 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: That and PCSX2 is more demand then any PC game on the market plain and simple and norton is killing your performance more then any other AV will do so And the fact that your computer outs specs mine cpu and ram wise tells me its norton.
Not really. Any computer made within the last 10 years (give or take) can run the program without any problems at all. It all depends on what games you plan on playing.

A game like Kingdom Hearts will run easily on most hardware, but if you try running something like Shadow of the Colossus you'll need a reasonably good computer.
(12-15-2013, 05:37 AM)Scootaloo Wrote: Granted Norton is somewhat of a hog, but even if you remove it don't expect a gigantic performance boost.

Not really. Any computer made within the last 10 years (give or take) can run the program without any problems at all. It all depends on what games you plan on playing.

A game like Kingdom Hearts will run easily on most hardware, but if you try running something like Shadow of the Colossus you'll need a reasonably good computer.

That depend on what that person consider is huge difference, and most the family and friends PC/Laptops removed norton software from said they say huge difference between how the system ran with norton vs Avast.

Which is besides the point OP already said it was due to Norton he was having issue, And I will to bet if he removes Norton AV and use Avast AV or some other AV he wont have those issue. sort of him have dieing HDD

(12-15-2013, 02:49 AM)willkuer Wrote: I think silent mode is only responsible for less messages like "new definitions loaded", "potential virus blocked". Silent mode does not affect the cpu/hdd-consumption.

For me Avast worked nicely for the last years. Still it seems to me that they start to blow up the utility to have a better "usability". So maybe Avast will not be the best choice in the near future... But till now it is my favorite..

all AV become bloated over time Avast use to have alot extra modules in recent verison they started removing them and making payed for extra's Avast is more bloated then when I started using but still less bloated then AVG less of resource hog too