Any MGS2 performance tips?
Still looks like vsync or resolution problem, try forcing it off with a program like D3DOverrider which comes with rivatuner.

Edit: You could try turning on frameskip (shift+F4 while playing) and see if it increases speed.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

Well this one is strange! I tried disabling frame limiting and my framerate shot up to 110-120fps in areas where the game was smooth, but still sank to 25-30fps in the choppy parts.
Frameskip had seemingly no effect on the performance of the game for good or ill, either.

In a last-ditch effort, I disabled "Allow 8-bit textures" in GSdx and that did the trick, somehow! it was the one setting I hadn't touched under the flawed assumption that allowing 8-bit textures was a performance enhancement.
Now the game sits at a perfect 49-50fps at all times, regardless of what's happening on-screen!

And that's with internal resolution set to 1200x1200, scaling x2 and playing in full-screen in 1680x1050 final resolution!

So, in short for anyone else: Untick "Allow 8-bit textures" in GSdx to prevent spiky drops in FPS in Metal Gear Solid 2!

Thanks Shadow Lady and iakoboss for posting. Smile

Sorry for necroing an old thread but I just want to give an update on the above.

I found that ticking 'Allow 8-bit textures' prevented the slowdown in some areas and caused it in others, depending on what was happening on-screen, as opposed to being a magic bullet that solved the problems completely.
It especially seemed to matter most when the game is rendering a large number of actor models at once, such as the Seagulls by the fence when Raiden gets outside for the first time, or the soldiers watching the screen during Snake's Tanker scene.

While reading another thread here just today ( http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Bug-Repor...rty-NTSC-J ) I saw the tip to change the VU settings for this game and decided to try it out.

I disabled all speedhacks and switched to :
VU0: SuperVU Recompiler (Legacy)
VU1: MicroVU Recompiler

Initial testing suggests that this allows a consistent, smooth framerate regardless of the 8-bit textures option, or even any other gsdx settings; which is quite amazing.

My current system specs for reference:
Core i7 920 @ 4GHz
6GB DDR3
nVidia GTX 580

I'll play on some more and re-test the other problem areas (the fight with Olga on the tanker, particularly) and post back if I find anything else.
Thanks to Shadow Lady for the VU tip. Smile

Attached screenshot is one of the areas that previously gave huge slowdowns for me (ie; from 120fps down to 25fps), now running in at a steady 50fps with GSDX DirectX11, 1200x1200 internal res, texture filtering on, 8-bit textures allowed.

PCSX2 is an incredible feat of coding, major kudos to everyone involved.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Try using the software renderer. That was the perfect bullet for me, didn't have to worry about allowing 8 bit textures or not, just solid 60fps no matter what's going on. Plus it's way more accurate.