Any recommendations?
This is what I've been using for pcsx2 1.0.0 (I know laptops aren't recommended, but these days not having SSE2 isn't exactly a problem):
CPU - AMD A8-4500 @1.9GHz
GPU - integrated APU chipset (Radeon 7640G 512MB)
RAM - 4GB DDR3 (3.5 tangible)

Can you see this holding me back? I tried, for instance, running Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, and I get a loss of 10-15 frames on average (meaning that in any open, fully-rendered area it's likely to be running at around 45fps), but I've activated quite a few speedhacks to get it running a bit faster.
Besides that, do you have any recommendations for games that would run well on my setup?

Sponsored links

(05-26-2013, 03:10 PM)starkeysuper64 Wrote: This is what I've been using for pcsx2 1.0.0 (I know laptops aren't recommended, but these days not having SSE2 isn't exactly a problem):

Can you see this holding me back? I tried, for instance, running Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, and I get a loss of 10-15 frames on average (meaning that in any open, fully-rendered area it's likely to be running at around 45fps), but I've activated quite a few speedhacks to get it running a bit faster.
Besides that, do you have any recommendations for games that would run well on my setup?

Your best bet is to use speeehacks, play with the EE cycle rate and VU cycle stealing (keep in mind these 2 can cause issues, so just use trial and error) and stick with native resolution. Your laptop is quite weak for pcsx2 so theres not alot you can do without upgrading.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(05-26-2013, 03:19 PM)Dante3hs Wrote: Your best bet is to use speeehacks, play with the EE cycle rate and VU cycle stealing (keep in mind these 2 can cause issues, so just use trial and error) and stick with native resolution. Your laptop is quite weak for pcsx2 so theres not alot you can do without upgrading.
Thanks; initially I had been running it at twice native, but I did reduce it down to native resolution, and I have tweaked the cycle rates and thefts. I know it's not the best--I just wanted to branch out a bit from PS1 emulation. Some of the games I wanted to play, though--like Disgaea--aren't that hard to emulate, so I'm not too concerned. Worst comes to worst I just won't have as wide a selection as before. I've just been looking for a reliable way to get my Resident Evil collection together.
(05-26-2013, 03:10 PM)starkeysuper64 Wrote: This is what I've been using for pcsx2 1.0.0 (I know laptops aren't recommended, but these days not having SSE2 isn't exactly a problem):

I think you misunderstand why laptops aren't recommended. It can be explained in 3 big reasons...

1. General specs are lower than their desktop counterparts. This one is especially huge for PCSX2 which is heavily CPU dependent. 1.9ghz is slow slow slow for PS2 emulation as you've already noticed. Turbo boost is unreliable, and for multi-threaded applications it won't reach it's top speed so it's usefulness diminishes fast (PCSX2 uses up to 3 cores).

2. No easy way to upgrade or overclock the main components. Having a slightly slow processor can be made up for in desktop space by either purchasing a faster processor or by overclocking. Laptops almost universally don't support overclocked, and most won't allow you to change core components like the GPU or CPU.

3. Heat. Not only is it damaging to components, but the laptop knows when it's running fast, and it's first line of defense when it's running how is to UNDERCLOCK your CPU and GPU. So while you're playing you may suddenly get huge speed decreases, of which there is little that can be done about it aside from putting a giant fan beside you when you play.

SSE2 is just an instruction set, it was never an issue for laptops (unless you got an AMD one, but the same could be said of desktops till last year). SSE3/4/AVX also don't contribute much of a speed increase except in very rare circumstances.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(05-26-2013, 04:51 PM)Koji Wrote: I think you misunderstand why laptops aren't recommended. It can be explained in 3 big reasons...

1. General specs are lower than their desktop counterparts. This one is especially huge for PCSX2 which is heavily CPU dependent. 1.9ghz is slow slow slow for PS2 emulation as you've already noticed. Turbo boost is unreliable, and for multi-threaded applications it won't reach it's top speed so it's usefulness diminishes fast (PCSX2 uses up to 3 cores).

2. No easy way to upgrade or overclock the main components. Having a slightly slow processor can be made up for in desktop space by either purchasing a faster processor or by overclocking. Laptops almost universally don't support overclocked, and most won't allow you to change core components like the GPU or CPU.

3. Heat. Not only is it damaging to components, but the laptop knows when it's running fast, and it's first line of defense when it's running how is to UNDERCLOCK your CPU and GPU. So while you're playing you may suddenly get huge speed decreases, of which there is little that can be done about it aside from putting a giant fan beside you when you play.

SSE2 is just an instruction set, it was never an issue for laptops (unless you got an AMD one, but the same could be said of desktops till last year). SSE3/4/AVX also don't contribute much of a speed increase except in very rare circumstances.

I'm not a novice to computing--I do indeed understand why a laptop is an issue, because in no way is it going to equal up to a desktop of equal or greater standing. I was joking about the SSE2 instruction set because in one of the older opening posts it still states that most laptops don't have processors capable of running SSE2 onwards.

I'm also aware that my clock speed is an issue, and that yes, there's not much that I can do about it. However, like I said, for the games that I intend to emu--like Disgaea--it won't prove to be much of an issue.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant or anything, just explain that I already know that my laptop isn't going to run pcsx2 very well, and I was simply wondering if anyone had any recommendations for games that might run well on my specs, or if they could comment on anything specific about my setup.
maybe ssx tricky,ffx runs good on ur laptop..