Any way to fix 1080i mode in Gran Turismo 4 NTSC?
Any way to fix 1080i mode in Gran Turismo 4 NTSC using GSDX hardware mode? It works in ZeroGS with 2x interlace option enabled but performance and graphic is terrible in zerogs.

Sponsored links

What's the point in doing so? It doesn't affect the game's internal resolution at all either way, it's just a 640x448 image streched to 1920x540 with a line doubler. Use 480p option and on GSDX deinterlace to None and set the internal resolution to a desired value. Note that setting it to 480p in the game's setting does indeed give a better result than 480i despite your internal resolution and this applies to all games that support progressive scan.
To make it more clear, there is no PS2 game that DOES INDEED render anything above the Standard/Enhanced Definition resolutions (and even in those it's less than the standars of 640x480/720x576 etc), all games that have 720p or 1080i are simply scalled images for the purpose of older HD setups having terrible or absent internal scaller, nothing more. The only stuff that do indeed render on PS2 HD content (and lately even real 1080p) natively are a couple homebrew and Linux.
Simply I thought that because 480p gives better picture ,1080i will give even betterLaugh. Honestly i never quite understand what exactly is the difference between "i" and "p".
What do you mean with "deinterlace" option? Interlacing,that is switch with F5? Why to set it to none?It does not effect picture quality.
Yep I mean the option with F5. Yes it does affect visual quality in progressive scan mode. Setting the game in 480i and GSDX's internal resolution to 1920x1080 with a deinterlacing method will look inferior to setting the game to 480p and then set GSDX's internal resolution to 1920x1080 with none deinterlacing method. PCSX2 cannot force a real progressive scan mode in games that don't support it so even though you set a resolution in gsdx you'll get that resolution in interlaced mode that has to get after de-interlaced, something that doesn't apply to progressive scan mode. If the game you use supports progressive scan you should always enable it and set deinterlace to None, you will always get a better visual result.
(11-03-2012, 05:02 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: Setting the game in 480i and GSDX's internal resolution to 1920x1080 with a deinterlacing method will look inferior to setting the game to 480p and then set GSDX's internal resolution to 1920x1080 with none deinterlacing method.

But this is because of 480p, not because of interlacing mode. It doesnt matter interlacing off or on, in both 480i and 480p . From my experience with emulator interlacing mode just remove shaking of the picture(in GT4 too), does not improve/unimproved picture quality.
This is true on all emulators except PCSX2, it's a restriction of the hardware that causes bugs when you force it to ignore interlacing and output progressive video so a game's visual quality will always differ between selecting a native interlaced mode and a native progressive mode with or without a deinterlace filter.

Just take screenshots of using 1920x1080 and:

1. Have it at 480i with deinterlace to Auto.
2. Have it at 480i with deinterlace Off.
3. Have it at 480p with deinterlace to Auto.
4. Have it at 480p with deinterlace to Off.

Compare those 4 screenshots and you'll get what I mean.
It's been discussed what causes such thing many times here. From now on when you have a game that has progressive scan mode, use it always plus set de-interlace to off for best visual results with zero speed impact.
In order from your list:
[Image: 8a2964218439206.jpg]

[Image: f6b91c218439318.jpg]

[Image: 1c2715218439395.jpg]

[Image: f17b8e218439468.jpg]

For this game specifically, exact comparison is almost impossible due to graphic "problem", where in 480p using GSDX hardware mode colors are very dark,and i used color adjustment of the plugin menu. I tried to equal colors in both modes but are not exactly the same...

Also 480i with deinterlace Off is practically unplayable because picture shake is present in the race too,not like other modes,where is visible only in menu...

And to the question: tell me where to look for difference because i dont see a single one, apart from the obvious difference between 480i and 480p?
If the game has bugs between video modes it makes it virtualy impossible to compare, but if you try the same thing in games like Tekken 4/5 or Resident Evil 4 you will see the difference. Most of the times is missing sharpness since the vertical lines are interpolated or something like motion blur. The bad thing is that you once you notice it your eye will get sensitive to it and you will constantly see it.
I see. You were talking in general for all games, i thought that GT4 also had difference between interlacing modes and thats why i was wondering because i thought that was tested all possible settings in this game(my favorite Biggrin) for best quality. After all this,only possible way to improve graphic is increasing more internal resolution. Case closed then,thanks for the info.
(11-03-2012, 03:30 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: What's the point in doing so? It doesn't affect the game's internal resolution at all either way, it's just a 640x448 image streched to 1920x540 with a line doubler. Use 480p option and on GSDX deinterlace to None and set the internal resolution to a desired value. Note that setting it to 480p in the game's setting does indeed give a better result than 480i despite your internal resolution and this applies to all games that support progressive scan.
To make it more clear, there is no PS2 game that DOES INDEED render anything above the Standard/Enhanced Definition resolutions (and even in those it's less than the standars of 640x480/720x576 etc), all games that have 720p or 1080i are simply scalled images for the purpose of older HD setups having terrible or absent internal scaller, nothing more. The only stuff that do indeed render on PS2 HD content (and lately even real 1080p) natively are a couple homebrew and Linux.

I don't know of any PS2 games that support 720p. And you are wrong about GT4 not displaying above "standard" resolutions. The game definitely displays at 1080i. The 3D environment is rendered independent of the game's resolution, so it appears the same regards it 1080i mode is enabled or not. The overlay though IS rendered at 1080i.