Any way to make the music sound closer to the original?
I decided to test this emulator out today and my first subject was Kingdom Hearts. I was surprised to find it runs perfectly graphics-wise, and sound quality is tops as well, but here's the problem: The MIDI music sounds really flat and synthesized. All the streamed music obviously works fine, but when Dive Into The Heart starts playing and it sounds like Windows General Midi it kinda ruins the mood.

Anything I can do about this? I currently use the recommended sound plugin with all options at maximum quality. Maybe there's something to be done with a Winamp plugin? If so how do I proceed?

Sponsored links

Make sure your hardware can take advantage of the kind of audio output your using ie. using directsound with catmull-rom etc etc. Other wise just using Cubic with Xaudio2 I think is still pretty nice with FFX
<REDACTED>
Hm, another problem appears.

Whenever there's a sunset on screen in Destiny Islands, game slows down immensely.
Surely there's a fix for this? Must be a common issue.
shows us your pc specs e.g.:CPU,video card.
and the pcsx2 settings

see sample screenshot below

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Ok, sure:

Intel Core i3-350M
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
4 GB DDR3 ram

I don't think my specs are the issue though, the game runs perfectly other than when that sunset bugs up everything. It's not really a big issue, but it would be nice to know how to get rid of it anyways. Keep in mind I'm really only doing this as a test, I'm not going to play through the game. I just happened to have my KH disc nearby.

As for the PCSX2 settings, posting my current settings wouldn't help much as I've been trying a lot of different combinations and none seem to resolve this particular problem. I've mainly used the gsdx 3693 graphics plugin, SSSE3 version, which is the best one for me I think.

For sound I've tried all settings for the standard SPU2-X. The best one for now is X-Audio2 with Catmull-Rom interpolation, but as I said, the music doesn't render authentically. I'm basically just looking for one that emulates the PSF2 midi music better. I have a Winamp plugin for that, is it possible to use it to emulate the music properly while retaining the sound effects and streamed music? If so I'll need directions.

Or should I try another sound plugin altogether? I tried the ZeroSPU just briefly, it didn't seem to work at all.
haved you try the Peops SPU2 plug-in that i provided in my sample screenshot make sure the interpolation is in cubic
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Hm, no, I'll try that. I'd heard it's outdated though, but maybe I heard wrong.
(11-08-2010, 03:39 AM)Takfloyd Wrote: Intel Core i3-350M
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
4 GB DDR3 ram

...used the gsdx 3693 graphics plugin, SSSE3 version, which is the best one for me I think.

Your Core i3 supports SSE4, so you should use it. Also, are you using native resolution? The mobile 5470 isn't necessarily all that powerful when it comes to PCSX2, so it may be limiting at times.
Switched to SSE4, but the game still lags at the same spot.

The Peops plugin won't show up in the list for me, and I see others have been having the same problem. Any solution for that? Meanwhile, I was able to make the music sound a bit more dynamic by setting reverb volume to x4. At least it softens up some of the jarring tone stops.
We've looked into this in length before:
Basically what happens is that reverb processing isn't very good yet in SPU2-X.
It turned out that some (especially Sqeenix) game's midi engine rely heavily on the reverb.
With the reverb as it is, the sound comes off as thin and missing in character.

Unfortunately fixing the reverb is an EPIC task Tongue2
There's a strict timing requirement between IOP and SPU2 which we currently can't achieve.
Then the reverb itself uses parameters stored in ~20 registers to modify the effect in real time.
We have most of this covered, yet one small bug can (and does here) kill the effect.

It'd help a lot if we had Neill Corlett's sources to his "Highly Experimental"..