Anyone with Threadripper here?
Hello,
Im upgrading my work/gaming rig to new TR 3960, right now I have 9900K which atm the best there is for emulators, especially all the new ones.
I want to hear from people with TR CPUs if they had any negative experience with PS2 emulation, especially in 4K.

I rather sell my OLD CPU, but if the situation with emulation on TR is really horrible, I can keep it and build small emulation box
99000K | Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 | 64GB DDR4 | GTX 2080Ti | Sound Blaster X3

Sponsored links

Running emulators in 4k depends much more on you gpu and with a 2080Ti, you won't have an issue.

The 9900k and a TR won't have issues, but with PCSX2 it's pretty much all about STR and the threadripper's is 2938 and the 9900k 2889 so both will do well with PCSX2.

As for other emulators, AMD GPU's tend to have issues not the CPU's, so since you have an Nvidia you should be fine with either cpu
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
If the upgrade is specifically for emulators and maybe pc gaming,then you will be wasting your money
Changing the cpu from intel to amd will also require motherboard change and the difference will not be that mind blowing...more like wallet blowing

The amd one will give you better results mostly in heavy multi threaded processes because it have more cores
(02-28-2020, 09:09 AM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: Running emulators in 4k depends much more on you gpu and with a 2080Ti, you won't have an issue.

The 9900k and a TR won't have issues, but with PCSX2 it's pretty much all about STR and the threadripper's is  2938 and the 9900k 2889 so both will do well  with PCSX2.

As for other emulators, AMD GPU's tend to have issues not the CPU's, so since you have an Nvidia you should be fine with either cpu

Thats good to know, thanks
(02-28-2020, 05:19 PM)vsub Wrote: If the upgrade is specifically for emulators and maybe pc gaming,then you will be wasting your money
Changing the cpu from intel to amd will also require motherboard change and the difference will not be that mind blowing...more like wallet blowing

The amd one will give you better results mostly in heavy multi threaded processes because it have more cores

Im not out of my mind to buy a TR for Emulation.
I already have all the parts [Zenith II, 3960X, 64GB RAM, and so on], since end of the last year, Im missing CPU water block that had to be not some random block but Heatkiller pro from Germany and it was stuck in the new year traffic in the post, now it stuck in the Customs, when its released ill be building
Photo 
I run a tr 1950x with an all core oc to 3.9ghz.

Its decent, but not up to the task on stuff like SoC.  4k upscaling will need a great videocard.

I love the heat killer pro... same block i run (nickel plated copper, not the clear tops.. weighs like 2 lbs...).. you can see it there in my pic

That 39xx TR should be an absolute beast.. Especially with an OC.  I'm interested to see how fast it can go.. I believe they stopped running the infinity fabric through the memory controller.. so OC'ing the ram has less effect on the IF.

Vsub - that TR is running with the intels for stp.. it will outperform that 9900k.. and depending on the silicon lottery, possibly even do so when both are OC'd to the max.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(02-29-2020, 02:52 AM)scythefwd Wrote: I run a tr 1950x with an all core oc to 3.9ghz.

Its decent, but not up to the task on stuff like SoC.  4k upscaling will need a great videocard.

I love the heat killer pro... same block i run (nickel plated copper, not the clear tops.. weighs like 2 lbs...).. you can see it there in my pic

That 39xx TR should be an absolute beast.. Especially with an OC.  I'm interested to see how fast it can go.. I believe they stopped running the infinity fabric through the memory controller.. so OC'ing the ram has less effect on the IF.

Vsub - that TR is running with the intels for stp.. it will outperform that 9900k.. and depending on the silicon lottery, possibly even do so when both are OC'd to the max.

I will be disabling SMT and just keeping 24C/24T with PBO and water cooling, I know it will use less power and will boost higher for sure.
Infinity Fabric can be set in bios but it has to be either half of RAM or higher
Yeah, on our first gens.. they were hard tied to the memory controller, any memory OC resulted in an IF OC.. its one of the reasons why we have issues running 4 channel at higher than 2966..

I'd not worry about disabling smt. At least with my 1950.. # of cores doesnt seem to be my issue.. its voltage. I can sustain 4.0ghz at 1.3185??? v.. no errors even with my ram at 3266 (running dual channel, its xmp profile is 3200.. so I'm faster than the ram is rated for).. 4.1 ghz requires 1.3500. I tried dropping down to 16c/16t and had the same results. 8c 16t also had the same results.. My system is voltage limited.. That also was too much heat to manage with my cooler.. but I dont like running at max voltage recommended.. 4.0 is my max stable OC I'll do with this silicon, and I'm quite happy at my normal 3.9. It's been running at that for 2 years.. and a few days (built it in February)

my 4.0ghz all core with smt is stable.. and with prim95 going to town in blend mode.. I do hit 78 C.. I was watching it .. but not not graphing it. I had a dip at some point down to 3.15ghz.. but I didn't see it happen.. so just the smallest throttle for a second or two max. Adding in another 120mm rad or 2 would alleviate that (good for a couple C drop in temps.. could also lap processor and water block for another 1C ish).. I'm only running a 240mm rad with only 2 fans in push configuration (vs. 4 fans in push/pull).. Depending on your pump/rad configs.. I think it's entirely possible that your TR wont need to have cores/threads disabled (stress testing is rarely realistic.. everyday use is rarely all cores 100% all the time). My loop also isnt touching my video card.. so there is that, I'm cpu only on my loop. Adding in a vid card will also lower your max potential for OC...
nzxt 340 case
(02-29-2020, 07:35 PM)scythefwd Wrote: Yeah, on our first gens.. they were hard tied to the memory controller, any memory OC resulted in an IF OC.. its one of the reasons why we have issues running 4 channel at higher than 2966..

I'd not worry about disabling smt.  At least with my 1950.. # of cores doesnt seem to be my issue.. its voltage.  I can sustain 4.0ghz at 1.3185??? v.. no errors even with my ram at 3266 (running dual channel, its xmp profile is 3200.. so I'm faster than the ram is rated for).. 4.1 ghz requires 1.3500.  I tried dropping down to 16c/16t and had the same results.  8c 16t also had the same results.. My system is voltage limited.. That also was too much heat to manage with my cooler.. but I dont like running at max voltage recommended.. 4.0 is my max stable OC I'll do with this silicon, and I'm quite happy at my normal 3.9.  It's been running at that for 2 years.. and a few days (built it in February)

my 4.0ghz all core with smt is stable.. and with prim95 going to town in blend mode.. I do hit 78 C.. I was watching it .. but not not graphing it.  I had a dip at some point down to 3.15ghz.. but I didn't see it happen.. so just the smallest throttle for a second or two max.  Adding in another 120mm rad or 2 would alleviate that (good for a couple C drop in temps.. could also lap processor and water block for another 1C ish).. I'm only running a 240mm rad with only 2 fans in push configuration (vs. 4 fans in push/pull).. Depending on your pump/rad configs.. I think it's entirely possible that your TR wont need to have cores/threads disabled (stress testing is rarely realistic.. everyday use is rarely all cores 100% all the time).  My loop also isnt touching my video card.. so there is that, I'm cpu only on my loop.  Adding in a vid card will also lower your max potential for OC...

I got the new large phanteks case, so im having 3 radiators shared for CPU and GPU Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX + 480GTS + 240GTS.
Disabling SMT is more of bug solving issue, when Ryzen 3XXX series came out some game benchmarks got higher fps with SMT off, also when you have way too many cores is not good for old games anyway, video rendering i do on GPU so 24 cores is more then enough
huh.. could iy be related to the scheduler bug that plagued the 2990wx? Most articles i see are from june.. and im notsure 1903 was in wide distribution at that time.
nzxt 340 case