Ape Escape 3 Slowdown
For whatever reason, on my PC, Ape Escape 3 slows down in certain areas, there's a lot of them but I tested the issue in two areas; Sarumon's Castle at the gate, and the introduction stage right at the beginning. Even at the level select my framerate fluctuates based on what part I walked in. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, I just step into certain areas and my framerate slows to 50 FPS.

Another issue with Ape Escape 3: If the rendering resolution is set to above native, then all FMV clips will glitch out. This can be fixed by enabling the game specific fix "Switch to GSdx software rendering when an FMV plays". This is a known issue with the game, but for whatever reason this game specific fix isn't applied on this game automatically.

I've tried a number of different settings, on both PCSX2 1.4.0 and the 1.5.0 beta. Generally it appeared as if my settings didn't matter at all, however MTVU actually did seemingly help the issue a little.

GSdx settings literally changed absolutely nothing, throughout all the testing I did. Almost all the other games I ran through the emulator worked fine, and I'll list them below.

Hardware:
CPU - Intel i5 6400 (2.7GHz base, 3.3GHz turbo, capable of running Higan Accuracy through Retroarch, which I know is really CPU intensive)
GPU - PNY GTX 1060 6GB XLR8 Factory OC (1582MHz base, 1797MHz boost)

Games played (all of them are NTSC, and the ISOs were dumped properly and they match the ReDump database):
Shin Megami Tensei - Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition (Fan Translation): Nocturne in general has issues on stable 1.4.0, but on the beta I got up to Shibuya before I had to sleep for the night.
Shin Megami Tensei - Raidou Kuzunoha Vs The Soulless Army: No issues
Shin Megami Tensei - Persona 3 FES: No issues
Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3: No issues
Castle Shikigami 2: No issues
Gradius V: No issues

Sponsored links

For the fmv's enable the unscale point and line option under the hardware hacks section in GSDX.
(06-26-2018, 12:03 AM)Atomic83 Wrote: For the fmv's enable the unscale point and line option under the hardware hacks section in GSDX.

I have heard that solution before, I'm more bringing up that this game is missing a game specific fix, there was a request from a while back to put this game with the software rendering FMV fix in the game specific fix database but it never happened.

TBH I think software rendering for FMVs should be a standard option considering it doesn't break anything as far as I am aware, and the game specific fixes section are for fixes that can break other games.
(06-26-2018, 06:15 AM)ValiantBlade Wrote: I have heard that solution before, I'm more bringing up that this game is missing a game specific fix, there was a request from a while back to put this game with the software rendering FMV fix in the game specific fix database but it never happened.

TBH I think software rendering for FMVs should be a standard option considering it doesn't break anything as far as I am aware, and the game specific fixes section are for fixes that can break other games.

that "fix" sometimes tend to switch to software mode even when it's not rendering an FMV.
hence the need to enable it manually
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-26-2018, 06:20 AM)jesalvein Wrote: that "fix" sometimes tend to switch to software mode even when it's not rendering an FMV.
hence the need to enable it manually

Out of curiosity, do specific games switch to software mode more than others? Or is it a random occurrence? Because I haven't had this issue happen to me, everything remains in hardware.
(06-26-2018, 06:32 AM)ValiantBlade Wrote: Out of curiosity, do specific games switch to software mode more than others? Or is it a random occurrence? Because I haven't had this issue happen to me, everything remains in hardware.

I think it's quite random.
(06-26-2018, 06:42 AM)jesalvein Wrote: I think it's quite random.

Odd. However that's one issue solved, I'm still unsure on the speed situation.
(06-26-2018, 07:34 AM)ValiantBlade Wrote: Odd. However that's one issue solved, I'm still unsure on the speed situation.

could be your CPU a bit weak to make this game run @100% speed all the time.
Your CPU's STR is 1828 while this game may require around 2000
(06-26-2018, 08:08 AM)jesalvein Wrote: could be your CPU a bit weak to make this game run @100% speed all the time.
Your CPU's STR is 1828 while this game may require around 2000
I think that might ultimately be whats happening, it's a shame, but I guess I can't do anything about it. I'm just confused because I just found out that apparently Shadow of the Colossus works on Preset 2 but somehow Ape Escape 3 is too CPU heavy. I know if I set EE Cyclerate to anything below 0 it causes problems with this game, and all the other speedhacks aren't enough so I guess I just gotta pick something else. At least Ape Escape 2 works, even if it does some texture flickering.
SotC benefits more of the VU Cycle stealing, actually.
EE cycle rate speedhack isn't the best for this game