Are some games simply impossible to run at full speed without speed hacks?
I can't get games like Simpsons Hit and Run, Dirge of Cerberus, and X-men Origins Wolverine to run at full speed, even at native res, despite the games not even reaching full utilisation of my CPU and GPU. 

Or am I doing something wrong? 
I'm running a Ryzen 2200g
16gb of Ram
Windows 10

Sponsored links

while the 2200g isn't bad, it's not great, and if you don't have a GPU then you're definitely going to have problems.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(05-22-2022, 03:52 AM)refraction Wrote: while the 2200g isn't bad, it's not great, and if you don't have a GPU then you're definitely going to have problems.

Thing is the games dont even reach full utilisation of the CPU or GPU, yet I still get slow down. I can run some Switch games better than I can run some PS2 games.
There's a switch emu?!

What kind of computer do you have specifically; desktop, laptop, name brand or one you built yourself, etc.?

I brought an overpriced HP gaming desktop from Walmart with a Ryzen 2200g that I gamed on for years, so I'm very familiar with what that CPU can and can't do. I loved my Ryzen, it's great little machine, but Refraction is right, it's a not terrible cpu, but it's not the best either. There's just some games that are not going to perform well on it.

Also, if you don't have real gpu and only have built-in Vega gfx, that's your biggest problem right there(for gaming in general, not specifically emulation).
(05-22-2022, 04:31 AM)IPlayWithHex Wrote: There's a switch emu?!

What kind of computer do you have specifically; desktop, laptop, name brand or one you built yourself, etc.?

I brought an overpriced HP gaming desktop from Walmart with a Ryzen 2200g that I gamed on for years, so I'm very familiar with what that CPU can and can't do. I loved my Ryzen, it's great little machine, but Refraction is right, it's a not terrible cpu, but it's not the best either. There's just some games that are not going to perform well on it.

Also, if you don't have real gpu and only have built-in Vega gfx, that's your biggest problem right there(for gaming in general, not specifically emulation).

I understand it's not a fantastic CPU, but as I said, and as you can see from the attachment, it's not even fully utilising the CPU or GPU. So what's causing the slow down?

It's a small PC I built for emulation. I could upgrade to a 5600g but it doesn't seem like it would help at all if what I have now isn't even being fully utilised. Most games run absolutely fine, but there are the odd games like I mentioned that don't seem possible to be able to be run at full speed without hacks on.
I'm not a PCSX2 coder and generally know nothing about how hardware is supposed to function on
a technical level so I couldn't say.

Honestly, I've always assumed you don't* want full cpu or gpu usage, actually. Whenever I hear my cpu or gpu fans working overtime I go play something else or play sparingly.

Edit: You edited your post while I was responding...

"So what's causing the slow down?"

Not having a graphics card, if I had to guess...
(05-22-2022, 05:29 AM)IPlayWithHex Wrote: I'm not a PCSX2 coder and generally know nothing about how hardware is supposed to function on
a technical level so I couldn't say.

Honestly, I've always assumed you don't* want full cpu or gpu usage, actually. Whenever I hear my cpu or gpu fans working overtime I go play something else or play sparingly.

Edit: You edited your post while I was responding...

"So what's causing the slow down?"

Not having a graphics card, if I had to guess...

Well normally games will fully utilise the CPU and GPU to 100% if required. Only time they won't if is if the temperature gets too high, which isn't what's happening with me.
And again, having a graphics card would make no difference if the emulator isn't even fully utilising the 2200g I have now.
Ah, ok. And if the temps did get too high, things start shutting down as safety measure right? I think I read this recently in a thread here....

Hmmm.... Well... I can't really help you with your CPU issue.... I have some thoughts but I'm afraid to voice them because I'd just make myself look silly talking about stuff I don't know about, haha.

I sure someone will come waltzing in here, swinging their e-peen to tell you all it about tho. Laugh
No, the emulators don't utilize 100% of your CPU or GPU. Yuzu doesn't do that either. PCSX2 only uses 2 of the 4 cores of the Ryzen 2200g. This is why single thread performance is important. For PCSX2 they recommend a minimum STP rating of 2000. For 3D games, they recommend up to 2100 or higher. The Ryzen 2200g STP rating is 2059, so it's going to suffer with the more demanding games. And again, without a dedicated GPU, that's going to make it suffer even more. Bottom line, despite the cpu usage, you're not going to get great performance
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
(05-22-2022, 05:48 AM)spidgeon Wrote: Well normally games will fully utilise the CPU and GPU to 100% if required. Only time they won't if is if the temperature gets too high, which isn't what's happening with me.
games, yes. not emulation
Quote:I can run some Switch games better than I can run some PS2 games.
different machine, different emulator, different requirements. it's like comparing apples to oranges
Quote:And again, having a graphics card would make no difference if the emulator isn't even fully utilising the 2200g I have now.
how do you know ?
can you please post the ee% and gs% when you get slowdowns ?
can you please post the emulog too ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go