Are these games considered heavy?
Is there a list of games that are considered 'heavy' for a system?

I asked about running a system with CPU/IGP only for 2x scaling here, and Rezard advised that most, if not all, games would fall short with 2x scaling.

So I already have my Newegg shopping cart packed with a Intel Core i3 2120 cpu, ASUS P8H61-I motherboard, and SAPPHIRE Ultimate Radeon HD 6670 (best config I can put together that works with a Silverstone SG06 300w psu), but I would to double-check something.
To be honest, I would prefer to go with a smaller case, but that would mean no additional video card, just IGP.

So are any of my games considered 'heavy' so that it would be a, 'No way on earth would an Intel i7 3770K with HD 4000 IGP be able to run this game at 2x scaling with a playable frame rate!"?

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Bomberman Land 2
SSX3
Hot Shots Golf Fore!
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Need For Speed: Underground 2
Ben 10 Alien Force: Vilgax Attacks
Ben 10 Alien Force
Ben 10 Protector of Earth
Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction

Please advise.

Sponsored links

Unfortunately, that IGP will hold you back for almost any game.

FFX & FFX-2 aren't considered to be heavy games. (except FFX-2 fmvs)
dunno about the others.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Need for Speed and the GTA games are definately heavier. the final fantasy games are mediumish. A good guideline is to say all 2d games are pretty low, where 3d ones range from medium heavy, to stupid high ;p

I would also strongly recommend against getting a 300w power supply, you will probably find you need about 500w. AMD recommend a 400w+ power supply for the HD 6670, but 500w-600w is a good number to go for, look to spend about $80 on the PSU alone (if you can get an 80plus, the better).

Also another small consideration, we can take advantage of 3 cores now, which has a huge performance boost on some games, so if you can stretch to an i5, that would make hell of a difference Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Actually GTA and NFSU2 aside the Ben10 series will work fine on that system.
I've never tested NFSU2 nor GTA so I can't say for sure but I'm thinking that Need for Speed may run fine on that rig besides that GTA San ANdreas and Vice City sure are demanding maybe you'll get playable FPS.

*NOTE:GTA SA and VC working at playable speeds are just assumptions on my part.
Intel E5700 @3.0Ghz,
Xfx Radeon 5670 1Gb,
4Gb DDR3 Ram,
Microsoft Windows7 Ultimate x86
(06-06-2012, 08:05 PM)audioqueso Wrote: So are any of my games considered 'heavy' so that it would be a, 'No way on earth would an Intel i7 3770K with HD 4000 IGP be able to run this game at 2x scaling with a playable frame rate!"?

Final Fantasy X ++ easily
Final Fantasy X-2 ++ should be fine
Final Fantasy XII ++ should be fine
Bomberman Land 2 ++ 2d? should be fine
SSX3 ++ not played, but I'm thinking it'll be slow
Hot Shots Golf Fore! ++ could be slow, but Golf games don't need FPS
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City ++ slow
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas ++ slow
Need For Speed: Underground 2 ++ defianatly slow
Ben 10 Alien Force: Vilgax Attacks ++ no idea
Ben 10 Alien Force ++ no idea
Ben 10 Protector of Earth ++ no idea
Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction +no idea

read above
SSX3, GTA and NFS can be heavy at times. But the rest should run okay.
(06-06-2012, 08:21 PM)refraction Wrote: I would also strongly recommend against getting a 300w power supply, you will probably find you need about 500w. AMD recommend a 400w+ power supply for the HD 6670, but 500w-600w is a good number to go for, look to spend about $80 on the PSU alone (if you can get an 80plus, the better).
I decided on this system after doing a lot of research and contacting people on the internet that actually have this similar setup to see if they've had any problem. Specifically, people with the SG05/6 300watt case and that video card. So far so good. I really don't want a bigger case, and the SG05/6's 450psu really has a bad rep.

Thank you everyone for the informative replies.
(06-06-2012, 08:21 PM)refraction Wrote: Also another small consideration, we can take advantage of 3 cores now, which has a huge performance boost on some games, so if you can stretch to an i5, that would make hell of a difference Smile
I did not know this. Very useful information. Thank you.

Saiki, very useful information. Thank you very much!

So, I guess I can't really get away with a Ivy Bridge's 3.9Ghz + HD 4000 IGP. That sucks. Oh well.
(06-06-2012, 08:21 PM)refraction Wrote: ... A good guideline is to say all 2d games are pretty low, where 3d ones range from medium heavy, to stupid high ;p

That is a good guideline. Laugh

A decent 300W PSU should handle the i3 and HD 6670.
80 Plus Certified is a must.
400W would be a more comfortable range to go with,
but it's not like the CPU and GPU are ever gonna draw 150W together.