As This Emu is Perfected For Better Performance, Does System Requirements Go Down?
i was curious if this emu will always have super high requirements to run and whether it will wait for users to catch up to it by buying better systems or if the emu will, over time, catch up to older users by becoming faster and faster with weaker hardware?

and if you could forsee this emu becoming as optimized as some of the greatest emu's out there, what do you imagine the future spec requirements would be down the road?

Sponsored links

pcsx2 in comparison to a lot of other emulators, is very optimized.
the ps2 is just a very demanding system for emulation.

Over time, we will find optimizations to speed things up, but we will also fix many 'hacks' and properly implement stuff which could slow things down.

Today's high-end pc's already run most compatible games past full speed. We just need for technology to improve so that today's 'high-end' pc, become the 'average' pc.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
is it more complex to emulate ps2 than the other competing systems of that same generation?
(08-24-2009, 06:30 AM)brash Wrote: is it more complex to emulate ps2 than the other competing systems of that same generation?

No, xbox emulation hasn't developed because microsoft's legal team would ream anyone who tried to emulate it. It wouldn't be hard though, considering the xbox was on an x86 platform, like most modern pcs run windows on 32-bit. I believe Dolphin went open source and their progress leaped and they tackled wii emulation. Sony always chooses difficult processors and odd gpus for their gaming systems and it makes it a hassle to emulate.
(08-24-2009, 06:58 AM)bedford10 Wrote:
(08-24-2009, 06:30 AM)brash Wrote: is it more complex to emulate ps2 than the other competing systems of that same generation?

No, xbox emulation hasn't developed because microsoft's legal team would ream anyone who tried to emulate it. It wouldn't be hard though, considering the xbox was on an x86 platform, like most modern pcs run windows on 32-bit. I believe Dolphin went open source and their progress leaped and they tackled wii emulation. Sony always chooses difficult processors and odd gpus for their gaming systems and it makes it a hassle to emulate.

Uhhh I've seen a few Private release Xbox and 360 Emulations and they have a few games working for 360 and about a few dozen for Xbox and they have been around a while

Generally, yes. The main reason isn't the odd custom hardware present in PS2's (although that certainly doesn't help), but rather Sony's tendency toward parallel processing. Most other consoles have been designed with your basic single-task process in mind -- including the latest generation of Xbox360 and Wii. Sony's PS2 and PS3 however are designed to take advantage of fairly advanced parallel processing techniques.

Parallel processing is especially difficult to emulate accurately, let alone efficiently.

The other major challenge of the PS2 that most other consoles don't have to fight with is the PS2's custom non-compliant Floating Point Unit (FPU). Most older consoles were integer only (easy!), and most newer consoles are IEEE standards compliant (same as your SSE unit!). The PS2's is a custom FPU with its own style of math, and that makes exact compatibility difficult and slow.

To answer the OP: Yes, the emu will get faster. But I don't think there's room for more than a general 33% speedup over what we have now -- that's factoring in all the performance bottlenecks that I'm currently aware of.

Translated to layman's terms: If you have a game running 45fps today, someday in the future it could very well run 60fps on the same hardware. Anything slower probably won't get to the 60fps mark though, without upgrading.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(08-24-2009, 11:47 AM)Rokoka Wrote: Uhhh I've seen a few Private release Xbox and 360 Emulations and they have a few games working for 360 and about a few dozen for Xbox and they have been around a while

There are a few attempts at xbox emulation, the 360 however is NOT emulated. We won't tolerate spreading false information like that.

brash:
As cotton said, we're not done yet emulating all the parts os the ps2 correctly (see the many hanging / not booting games).
Once that part is also in, emulation might get a little slower (it may also get faster though Tongue2 ).
Anyway, if not for that part, requirements should about stay on the current level (4Ghz core2 cpu).
Hmm... to clarify on a couple points from my prev post:

When I say 'general speedup' I mean an average across all types of games. Certain types will see bigger speedups than others. For example I know there's some big speed gains possible in games with high swizzle counts (typically games with very high res 2D backdrops or 3D textures). Such titles may see significant speedups in the future. Other titles may see only very marginal speedups.

Also, Quad+ core cpus may also see more speedups than single and dual core systems. This depends on what things we're able to apply multithreading to, and how effective that multithreading is.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(08-24-2009, 01:29 PM)rama Wrote: There are a few attempts at xbox emulation, the 360 however is NOT emulated. We won't tolerate spreading false information like that.

hey that's not true ... when the 360 got a preview it was emulated on a mac power pc G5 I think...
so a 360 emulator exists and it is private... microsoft only...
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm
Oh yeah, there's always a "private" emulator like that. I know there's a CELL emulator as well.
These are used for developing the hardware and probably the code libraries.
They're also not what we consider "emulators", since they oftentimes only emulate single cpu's, not the whole system.

Oh, and I'm sure they don't run stuff fast. More like interpreter Tongue2