Awful performance on a gaming PC. Please help!
Hi everyone,

1st of all I've been using PCSX2 on and off for quite a few years now. I've been checking out all the news on its development etc. for a long time as well.

I finally installed the latest version I simply can't understand why ALL of the games have terribly low fps.
Here are my specs just to start:
Windows 10 Pro
GTX 1070 8GB
i7 6700k 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR4 RAM

This PC literally runs all the most graphically demanding games maxed out without any fps drops below 59fps, so games like: Witcher 3, Crysis 3, Rise of the Tomb Rider, you name it.

Now I just found a copy of my Jet Li: Rise To Honor lying around and I just happen to realize that I've bought it around 2006 and never really gotten to finish it. I figured that now I got a chance so I tried it in PCSX2 and I'm seriously disappointed. I've tried 1.4.0 and 1.2.1

I've spent a ton of money 1.5 month ago to buy the PC that I currently have as I was finally replacing my ancient PC on which I could never even consider using PCSX2 smooth enough to enjoy it.
Given the change and the pretty much a high-end hardware which I bought I honestly counted on PCSX2 to work smoothly with native resolution set to at least x3.

I was testing the above mentioned Rise to Honor, The Punisher, Burnout 3 and WWE SMackdown! Here Comes the Pain. All of them work like a poo to say the least even in native resolution which on top of it just looks ridiculously bad.

I tried following quite a few youtube guides on the setup of this particular version, was fiddling with the speedhacks, rendering modes (DX11, OpenGL & DX9) and nothing helps. I'm honestly baffled at this point.

Am I to assume that my PC isn't powerful enough to run PCSX2 smoothly? I was trying out a few of other emulators, particularly the Gamecube one (everybody know its name and I don't know if it's forbidden to write it on this forum) and it works as smooth as butter even with native res upped to 4k and with a lot of graphical enhancements in use.

Best part is that I've seen videos of people playing it without a hitch on laptops with average specs.

Any help would be much appreciated as at this point, even though I was always really grateful to people who brought this emulator to life, I'm seriously thinking about never using it again.
Thanks in advance Smile!

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Great that I got a reply so fast and I don't want to sound rude or something, but did you read my post at all? I included everything you just asked for in it.
My specs are right in the beginning of my post above...
You didn't tell us what PCSX2 version you're using...
I don't really know what is causing this but I just wanted to say,don't get disappointed, your PC is powerful enough for pcsx2 but something is wrong

While running the mentioned games with gsdx set to ogl and defaul setting and the pcsx2 settings set to presser 2,what do you get for EE,GS and VU(if mtvu is enabled) in the game window title bar.
Are you sure pcsx2 is using your nvidia card and not your Intel one
Are still get low speed while using software mode(F9)

And BTW just a thought...do you see it slow because the fps counter is below 60 for NTSC and 50 for PAL or you just don't see it running as smoothly as PC games(ps2 games are running at 25 for pal and 30 for NTSC internal speed so they don't look as smoothy as PC games and that's not pcsx2 fault)
Yes sorry, I wanted to know your pcsx2 version more than anything and if you're playing from the discs or iso format. That was just a set check list to make sure all info is there Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

To everyone: I was trying both the most recent version 1.4.0 as well as 1.2.1 (version which I had on my PC for a long while). I've tried the games mentioned in my 1st post both from disc and ISO. Neither makes any difference.

Vsub, I do know at what speeds PS2 games work at, but it's not that. I'm talking about HUGE slowdowns for no reason. It works good for a couple of seconds and then it literally turns into a slideshow no matter what settings am I using. I'm really confused as to why is it happening. My PC shouldn't even have problems with running at 5x native smoothly, given that I was watching videos on youtube with people playing games at 60fps on version 1.4.0 in 3x-4x native resolutions...using laptops.
Turning on software mode:
1. Looks AWFUL
2. Performance is even worse than with DX9... so I'm talking about around 2fps tops

PS. DX9 renderer works best so far (still with huge slowdowns though), but it also has a ton of graphical glitches like objects disappearing, no lighting at all where I remember it being there when I played it back on PS2 etc. where DX11 and OpenGL don't have this issue, but they run even worse than DX9.
OK let's start over. Delete everything except your BIOS folder and use the latest 1.5.0 development build: https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php (download the first from the list)
Exract the archive somewhere, copy your bios files in the bios folder and fire it up. Set GSdx to OpenGL hardware renderer and make sure under adapter your graphics card is selected.

Check your speeds and report them. Please use a single game (let's say the punisher since I own it too for a base) and report your performance (start with native resolution)

If you still get issues, download CPU-z (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) and have it running in the background while the game runs. Check if your processor is speed-stepping (check the reported Mhz) while PCSX2 is running
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Here's my emulog jesalvein:
https://ufile.io/u36oc

OK, I just tested the game I wanted to play the most (Rise to Honor) with the latest 1.5 build, tried both OpenGL as well as DX11 from native res to gradually going to native x4 and only basic, native resolution played roughly alright but still has rather big slowdown issues and quite frankly is unplayable as it simply looks awful on my 42"TV.