AMD Radeon HD 6990 OC, Accelero Twin Turbo
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 Gb
16 Gb G.Skill 1833 MHz

23 PS2's

Sponsored links

For me best one ever is FFX period.
New Gran Turismo 4 Config+Shader 2017

Intel Core i5 OCed @ 4.00 Ghz - GeForce GTX 970 - 16 GB RAM Crucial Ballistic Sport PC3-16000 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
some of my favorites were -

Odin Sphere

Tales of the Abyss

Valkyrie Profile: Silemeria

Xenosaga Trilogy (but i HATED what they did to the second game. the combat change was ok but everything else was just....ughhh. biggest thing i can think of is the voice acting. it really killed it for me right from the start of the game especially considering i started directly after i finished the first.)

some that i thought were ok -

.Hack, original and GU. quite a few cringe worthy moments in both of the series and the combat would get really repetitive though.

Persona 3 & 4, 3 got really boring climbing the tower after a while, and 4 i thought the theme of the game (with people being murdered and such) and feel the game gave off just didn't work well together, probably more of a personal preferance then anything though.

some i thought were amazing but probably aren't what you're looking for -

SMT: Nocturne, the atmosphere was amazing even though the story was (imo) kinda weak and slow going.

Soul Nomad & the World Eaters, this isn't exactly in the genre you were asking for i think but i figured i should put it here never the less. the story is pretty ok with LOADS of plot twist everywhere, i honestly liked the demon path more then the normal game route but i think that's because i love playing as the bad guy. pretty good game IMO and i find it sad that i never see anyone recommend this game.
Suikoden 1 and 2 was amazing games on PS1, Suikoden 3 was an OK game but really didn't feel much like Suikoden. the fourth, let's say it's OK by it's own merits but I can't see Suikoden in it, the V recovered some the characteristics which made the series so good on the old faithful PS1. So Suikoden is worth mention.

Similar thing happened to Final Fantasy. For me it got it heights yet in SNES, 7 was reasonable OK and 9 had good moments also. At PS2 they are much more "beautiful" but a bit on the duller side also although X is OK and kept FF spirit, 11 (which I never played) was never for me and 12 is a bit of let down.

Tales of something, I can't say about, I loved Tales of Phantasia on SNES but never managed to find them for PS1 or PS2.

Just by the above is easy to understand why PS2 was decided to be the last console I'd ever buy. Seriously, at each new generation the console gains is beauty and graphics quality what loses in game quality and ludus factor. No wonder consoles have been invading PC area and then making a mess.

To avoid being only negative, Star Ocean TteoT is game I liked and had fun playing (even if to some it is not really Star Ocean it has merits on it's own). FFX managed to keep the magic, Xenosaga is good (although I feel it lacks something).

The other RPGs are funny in their own merits but tend a bit to a more infantile approach or feels outright strange like Rogue Galaxy and FFXII. Not saying this is bad, all the above are only subjective opinions.

In the end I like the genre and then I had fun playing all them, just in some the titles the loss of spirit was too evident.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Symphonia
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
Persona 3 & 4
Star Ocean 3
Chill and Go with the flow ~d[o_o]b~

@YT - youtube.com/user/SuperHack333/videos

Specs:
MDL: Dell G7 15 7590 (Laptop)
OPS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h @ 2.60 Ghz ~ 4.50 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 @ 1455 Mhz ~ 1590 Mhz
RAM: Micron Tech. 8GB DDR4 @ 2666 Mhz (4x2)

Yeah currently I'm keep replaying Persona 3 and 4 heh Tongue
i personally like the final fantasy series

i also love xenogears. it is a very old game for ps1