BIOS Missing from List
PCSX2 doesn't list my BIOS in the first-time configuration wizard. I followed the instructions in the readme that came with the ps2dumper tool. I'm not sure whether my BIOS is bad or if there's something I can be doing differently. Here are the steps I've taken so far:

I dumped the BIOS from my PS2 Slim to a USB flash drive. I used an 8GB MagicGate PS2 memory card with FreeMCBoot to copy ps2dumper.elf (V2 by Florin) to the memory card, and uLaunchELF to run the dumper. I tried dumping the BIOS three times: twice I removed the USB drive before turning the PS2 off, once I turned the PS2 off first, every time I waited a few minutes after the DONE message appeared.

I copied the files to my PC, ran the batch file, and added my system's serial number, separated by an underscore, to the end of the file name. I installed PCSX2 (v1.16.0 stable) in C:/Games and added the bios in C:\Games\PCSX2 1.6.0\bios to avoid Windows permissions issues. I double-checked that I have the right directory by clicking "Open in Explorer". I tried running PCSX2 normally and as an administrator, and I've tried turning off my antivirus.

Here are some relevant specs, a few repeated from above:
  • PS2 model number: SCPH-79001 US
  • PCSX2 version: 1.16.0 stable
  • PS2 Dumper version: 2.0
The resulting BIOS file has the right extension for the new format, .P2b, but doesn't appear in the BIOS list when I run the configuration wizard. The only modifications I've made to my PS2 are taping the disc drive buttons down and removing the spring from the disc drive catch so the disc doesn't stop spinning when the lid is open (to run region-locked games, etc.) I haven't installed a mod chip or anything else beyond the FreeMCBoot memory card.

Am I dumping the BIOS the wrong way? Can I verify or validate the BIOS somehow? Do I need to change something with PCSX2?

PC Specs:
  • CPU: Intel i5 Core-6600K @ 3.50 GHz
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 8GB

Sponsored links

make a blank portable.ini file in your pcsx2 root dir
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-28-2020, 11:54 PM)jesalvein Wrote: make a blank portable.ini file in your pcsx2 root dir

Should I make a new one? There's one there already, and it's empty.
hm. this one shoulld take your settings and use local dirs for pcsx2 config.
alternatively, put your bios in documents\pcsx2\bios
(11-29-2020, 01:05 AM)jesalvein Wrote: hm. this one shoulld take your settings and use local dirs for pcsx2 config.
alternatively, put your bios in documents\pcsx2\bios

Should the .ini fill out while the wizard is running? It's always empty. I added the directory PCSX2\bios to Documents, copied my bios there, and pointed the wizard to that directory, but no joy. I might just try reinstalling PCSX2 later.
Probably. It looks like you have permission issues
(11-29-2020, 02:15 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Probably. It looks like you have permission issues

I've tried reinstalling a few different ways: in Program Files (x86) as administrator, in Documents/PCSX2 1.6.0, but still no luck. The "Open in Browser" button always brings up the right folder, and the .P2b file is in there. I've tried running PCSX2 normally and as admin, what else can I do? Isn't there a way to verify that the bios is all right?

All users, including SYSTEM, have all permissions allowed on the bios file (Full control, Modify, Read & execute, Read, Write.) I even made sure the bios directory and the PCSX2 directory have Read-Only unchecked.
How did you get the bios from your console ?
You shouldn't get a p2b file, but a bin one
(12-07-2020, 01:20 AM)jesalvein Wrote: How did you get the bios from your console ?
You shouldn't get a p2b file, but a bin one

I used ps2dumper V2 by Florin, from the BIOS Dumper 7z on the Tools page. It dumped a rom0, rom1, diff, nvm, inf, and batch file. The batch combined them all into a p2b. The readme says "The next version of PCSX2 will use *.p2b files instead of the old bios format."
yes p2b got kind of abandoned, you can extract the BIOS files using 7-zip and it should work okay if you pop them in the correct folder.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]