[BUG] Tales Of Destiny : Director's Cut [NTSC]
I was trying to fix this bug (character getting stuck at that point) correctly, but no go. It seems to be a problem with FPU's MUL instruction - it returns an incorrect result in some cases. The PS2's FPU MUL uses a (possibly modified) booth algorithm with wallace trees. Obviously, it discards some bits during some stages, causing inexact results. I've been able to replicate it a bit but not enough to get ToD past the point.
It can be hackfixed by substracting one from the mantissa (if it's not 0) after multiplication. Obviously this will break other things, possibly even within ToD.

Sponsored links

(03-08-2009, 02:27 PM)Nneeve Wrote: I was trying to fix this bug (character getting stuck at that point) correctly, but no go. It seems to be a problem with FPU's MUL instruction - it returns an incorrect result in some cases. The PS2's FPU MUL uses a (possibly modified) booth algorithm with wallace trees. Obviously, it discards some bits during some stages, causing inexact results. I've been able to replicate it a bit but not enough to get ToD past the point.
It can be hackfixed by substracting one from the mantissa (if it's not 0) after multiplication. Obviously this will break other things, possibly even within ToD.
Thanks Nneeve, i ll try to quote you in the first post ~
Guess I gave up too early, r728 and up have an advanced option that gets past this hang if enabled.
(03-10-2009, 04:20 AM)Nneeve Wrote: Guess I gave up too early, r728 and up have an advanced option that gets past this hang if enabled.

Could you please explain what option that is and how you got past this hang? I got to this point as well and can't figure out how to get past it through all the configurations.
I'm going to guess software emulated mul.
yes it s "software emulate MUL" in advanced.
Awesome Smile
Solved. Closed and moved for refernce