Baldurs Gate again !
(11-17-2022, 08:34 PM)ToiletDuck Wrote: what i meant to say, can't you allocate more cores/threads to pcsx2 to speed up the emulation process ?
I mean, nowday's you have 24 core cpu's with XX threads !!
as you already know, those aren't made for gaming.
Quote:Or atleast put an configurable option in pcsx2 to do just that for users with super computers ...
no one could do it, but as i said, it's an open source project. if you can bring us your coding skills, we'll gladly appreciate.
Quote:Wouldn't the use of all intel/amd core/threads (not to mention architecture) potential improve emulation nowday's?
I mean, you did say pcsx2 only used 3 from 8 of my FX-xx cores , did you not !??

What am i missing here?
probably the whole point.
if you want to use multiple threads, yes, it can help.
Problem is : what tasks can you run in parallel to get your app globally faster ? in some cases, it's possible, as long as you design your app that way.
in the case of emulation, you're bound to what has been done on original hardware.
Picture this : you have an octa-core, PS2 had an overall 10 cores, right ? If PS2 was running 10 tasks in parallel, how can you achieve the same result on your octacore without losing cycle sync ?
Worse : Imagine the PS2 was able to run only 3 tasks in parallel, what is the use of the 24 cores you're talking about ?
That's why STR is so important, especially in pcsx2 case
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go

Sponsored links

(11-17-2022, 09:39 PM)jesalvein Wrote: as you already know, those aren't made for gaming.

Are you kidding TD Huh !  Granted, iam not talking about server cpu's here!

But what about the brand new Intel i7-13700K → 8 P-cores + 16 E-cores = 24 cores..  In benchmarks One of the best if NOT THE best gaming cpu you can get atm Tongue !!

According to benchmarks, the 13700K defeats the new AM5 Ryzen 7950x cpu marginally however.  And AMD desktop cpu's are considered to be Gaming cpu's atm ..

(11-17-2022, 09:39 PM)jesalvein Wrote: no one could do it, but as i said, it's an open source project. if you can bring us your coding skills, we'll gladly appreciate.
I wish i had the time and patience..  But atm iam enthousiastic super end user Tongue

(11-17-2022, 09:39 PM)jesalvein Wrote: probably the whole point.
if you want to use multiple threads, yes, it can help.
Problem is : what tasks can you run in parallel to get your app globally faster ? in some cases, it's possible, as long as you design your app that way.
in the case of emulation, you're bound to what has been done on original hardware.

There you go javelin, where there's a will there's a way i'd alway's quack  Laugh

(11-17-2022, 09:39 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Picture this : you have an octa-core, PS2 had an overall 10 cores, right ? If PS2 was running 10 tasks in parallel, how can you achieve the same result on your octacore without losing cycle sync ?
Worse : Imagine the PS2 was able to run only 3 tasks in parallel, what is the use of the 24 cores you're talking about ?
That's why STR is so important, especially in pcsx2 case

LoL, trying to emulate an system that is more powerfull than your own doesn't make much sense now, does it now !?
If i read you correct, it's like emulating an ps3 on an 1999 pentium 4 machine :d !

And agreed, iam not talking about the core performance alone, but rather and more important the thread/architecture handling of certain cpu's ofcourse.. 

Wich is way more important than single core-speed obviously. 

I want to say. 
In general, pcsx2 is close to perfection now. 
Kuddos to the developers behind the scene Smile

cheers,
TD
you can have 10 million cores if you want, PCSX2 will still only use 3, so single thread performance is king.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-17-2022, 10:10 PM)ToiletDuck Wrote: Are you kidding TD Huh !  Granted, iam not talking about server cpu's here!

But what about the brand new Intel i7-13700K → 8 P-cores + 16 E-cores = 24 cores..  In benchmarks One of the best if NOT THE best gaming cpu you can get atm Tongue !!
ah, ok. you're a beginner.
"cores" is different from "threads". one is physical, the other is logical.
Quote:I wish i had the time and patience..  But atm iam enthousiastic super end user Tongue
alright. don't be so sure when you don't know what you're talking about, then
Quote:LoL, trying to emulate an system that is more powerfull than your own doesn't make much sense now, does it now !?
If i read you correct, it's like emulating an ps3 on an 1999 pentium 4 machine :d !
no. a PS2 really had a lot of cores (from 8 to 10, IIRC).
what you don't understand yet : having more cores (physical ones) doesn't mean "more powerful"
Quote:And agreed, iam not talking about the core performance alone, but rather and more important the thread/architecture handling of certain cpu's ofcourse.. 
Wich is way more important than single core-speed obviously. 
wrong again.
it all depends on what you're supposed to do with it. A lot of cores in a console (with an x86 architecture) wouldn't be interesting for devs.
it would tank performance.
Imagine this in a mips architecture.... Hence the need of an high STR
(11-17-2022, 10:26 PM)jesalvein Wrote: ah, ok. you're a beginner.
"cores" is different from "threads". one is physical, the other is logical.

Didn't i just said that in my previous posts Blink !?
Ofcourse about the i7-13700K is an different beast, and iam wos talking about 8 →→"MAIN"cores . 24 cores = speaking in general

(11-17-2022, 10:26 PM)jesalvein Wrote: alright. don't be so sure when you don't know what you're talking about, then

So, chosing to be rather an player/end user instead of an creator/developer makes me clueless Huh ?
Ok....then Glare 

(11-17-2022, 10:26 PM)jesalvein Wrote: no. a PS2 really had a lot of cores (from 8 to 10, IIRC).
what you don't understand yet : having more cores (physical ones) doesn't mean "more powerful"
Again, didn't i pointed out that obvious "detail" already in my previous posts!
I get that..  That's common sense / knowledge by now anno 2022  Huh !!

Also, iam not born yesterday Closedeyes

cheers,
TD
(11-17-2022, 11:10 PM)ToiletDuck Wrote: Didn't i just said that in my previous posts Blink !?
Ofcourse about the  i7-13700K is an different beast, and iam wos talking about  8 →→"MAIN"cores .  24 cores = speaking in general
no. 24 THREADS

Quote:Again, didn't i pointed out that obvious "detail" already in my previous posts!
I get that..  That's common sense / knowledge by now anno 2022  Huh !!
er.... didn't you say :
toiletsucks Wrote:And agreed, iam not talking about the core performance alone, but rather and more important the thread/architecture handling of certain cpu's ofcourse..

Wich is way more important than single core-speed obviously.
(11-17-2022, 11:20 PM)jesalvein Wrote: no. 24 THREADS

er.... didn't you say :

My bad (typo)
Ah, 8+8 & 24Teeth to chew up any pscx2 i sincere hope so if you catch my drift Happy

and yez, dis duck knows what it quacks ... bless my beaak.. Laugh

So, more threads per core isn't key for emulation/multi tasking you say !!? Wacko  
Fyi, more core speed is ESSENTIAL for Video encoding rather than the threads per core , or am i wrong about that too ?

Mind you , iam expert video editor..

That's what i actually try to say back there..

cheer you up,
TD unlimited
(11-18-2022, 03:32 AM)ToiletDuck Wrote: So, more threads per core isn't key for emulation/multi tasking you say !!? Wacko 
the weird thing is you say "emulation/multi tasking" just as if it was the same. o_O
Emulation in general tends to require more STR than number of threads.
How much it relies on STR is different from an emu to another. Pcsx2 relies HEAVILY on STR
Quote:Fyi, more core speed is ESSENTIAL for Video encoding rather than the threads per core , or am i wrong about that too ?
No idea since i'm not into video encoding.
I just know that ffmpeg is able to run on a lot of parallel threads. but apart from this....
Quote:Mind you , iam expert video editor..

That's what i actually try to say back there..
Ok. non-pcsx2 threads go to off-topic subforum, then
(11-18-2022, 08:32 AM)jesalvein Wrote: the weird thing is you say "emulation/multi tasking" just as if it was the same. o_O
Emulation in general tends to require more STR than number of threads.

Nothing weird about it.  If you think about it... STR may be as important for emulation , like the amount of cores/threads are for multitasking, dont you think?
I mean, cpu threads are basically presented like virtual cores in software (the backbones of the main cores).  Depending on the workloads and memory IO the app uses imo !

(11-18-2022, 08:32 AM)jesalvein Wrote: No idea since i'm not into video encoding.
I just know that ffmpeg is able to run on a lot of parallel threads. but apart from this....

ffmpeg makes use of subsequential jobs at once.  but you shouldn't use more than 2 instances at the same time of that same tool , may cause colisions / conflict !!  other than that it's an bug!

(11-18-2022, 08:32 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Ok. non-pcsx2 threads go to off-topic subforum, then

just fyi in between, forget about it Cool

CheeS
TD