Baldurs Gate settings
Helluh,

So, in an nutshell..

recently i gave pcsx2 another shot, and fired it up to have nice walk-through in the park playing BG ..

Now, after testing / chaning many settings to find optimal speed settings for the game BG.  The game runs at 10x% full speed, for like 99%...

But then disaster STRUCKS, BOOM... Ohmy    At the boss battle (Bos: rampasant) chapter one, the game suddenly slows down to an emu speed of between 60 - 70% !!!

Is there anything , ANYTHING AT all FOLKS i / we can do to keep the game (boss battles included) running at 100%+ !???

Or is it an NPC thing ingame, and are the bosses just overwheight in this game, causing slowdowns Blink ??

any BIG ideas are most welcome Rolleyes 

If not , no problem.  The slowdown makes it easier to anticipate the nasty boss moves and defeat em anyways Tongue

Much obliged Tongue 

cheer you up

toiletduck,

Sponsored links

Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.

Please make sure to enclose your emulog in code tags like so (remove the empty space on the closing code tag!):
[code]
Pasted emulog goes here
[ /code]
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-14-2022, 07:14 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.

Please make sure to enclose your emulog in code tags like so (remove the empty space on the closing code tag!):
[code]
Pasted emulog goes here
[ /code]

Hello javalin,

You didn't asked for any specific logs, so i"ve logged all sections in pscx2.
I have attached the log as zip file to this reply.  Instead of copy/past the code!  Pasting the code is an pita, it's causing an slowdown aswell onsite pcsx by doing so Tongue

About the slowdown... →INGAME BG Happy

Strange enough , the slowdown ocures mostly in dungeons/caves throughout the game. 
I expected more slowdowns in open world map scenarios , but it runs just perfect most of the time in those places Wacko

Below is an example from an  4 by 4 feet cave where the slowdown is the worst Unsure  . 
Barely emu crawl speed of between 60 - 70% as you can see !!

In the meanwhile i've managed to crank up the speed to 75 - 89% in that specific place... playing with settings !

Iam using the nightly builds 1.7.x of pcsx2 . 

SlowMo↓ Tongue

[Image: BG-slowdown.png]

cheers,
TD

Attached Files
.7z   emulog.7z (Size: 16,24 KB / Downloads: 53)
your system is struggling.
you can try disabling hw readbacks and crank speedhacks a bit, but don't expect miracles.
playing it on your PS2 will be more enjoyable than using pcsx2 at this rate
(11-14-2022, 10:24 PM)jesalvein Wrote: your system is struggling.
you can try disabling hw readbacks tnad crank speedhacks a bit, but don't expect miracles.
playing it on your PS2 will be more enjoyable than using pcsx2 at this rate

You realy think my system is struggling Ohmy  ?

Just maybe it would help to further optimize pcsx2 for older cpus .. wouldn't you think so ?
I mean, like i said in my previous post, playing with different settings improved the speed at that specific spot ingame by like almost 15% !

Iam sure, if pcsx2 would utilize my cpu and/or gpu more (more core threads/speed), it would be the sweet spot to run all games 100%
Thats another thing, other hack and slash games run like 100%+ ALL the time and barely uses like 40 - 50% cpu !! 

Curious to see such an different performance from game to game and even at specific locations ingames!

I hope your not refering to the gpu?

It's a new gen pcie 4.0 gpu i recently bhought (i know my cpu is the bottleneck), but i bhought it for an new system iam about to build somewhere in 2023 , just AT the RIGHT moment Cool

2023/2024 will be an interesting time for amd/intel their new line up cpus and sockets price vs performance wise Cool .

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, i'll give it an try..

cheers,
(11-14-2022, 10:41 PM)ToiletDuck Wrote: You realy think my system is struggling Ohmy  ?
yes
Quote:Just maybe it would help to further optimize pcsx2 for older cpus .. wouldn't you think so ?
it's already really optimized
Quote:I mean, like i said in my previous post, playing with different settings improved the speed at that specific spot ingame by like almost 15% !
sure, but it breaks other things (accuracy)
Quote:Iam sure, if pcsx2 would utilize my cpu and/or gpu more (more core threads/speed), it would be the sweet spot to run all games 100%
definitely not. 1 thread for ee, another for gs over ee, and a 3rd one for VUs (with mtvu hack) what else would you put on other threads ?
Quote:Thats another thing, other hack and slash games run like 100%+ ALL the time and barely uses like 40 - 50% cpu  !! 
others that use snowblind engine ? i don't think so.
Quote:Curious to see such an different performance from game to game and even at specific locations ingames!
that would be irrelevant. different games, different performances, different emulation in the end.
Quote:I hope your not refering to the gpu?
no. unless you tried to crank res up to 4k
(11-14-2022, 10:47 PM)jesalvein Wrote: yes

C"mon, not the complete system... →Unless i want to crank it up to 4K didn't you say Tongue  lol
Fyi, i ve have upscaled some games from x3 (1080p) to X6 (4K) Biggrin ,just to check out the average performance.
And strange enough the performance WOS EXACTLY the same !!??  Can you explain that ?  → GPU  speed and/or VRAM ?

atleast i know the gpu is decent to play every game at 1440p .. if not , i still got Amd RSR feature to upscale 1080p quality and maintain if not improve Fps Rolleyes

(11-14-2022, 10:47 PM)jesalvein Wrote: it's already really optimized

Sure, iam not denying that... But given the fact i have tweaked it to run the game from 50% →@pcsx2 default settings to like 75 - 101% my settings. 
Is the living proof , that an weebit more optimization would do the trick me thinks..

(11-14-2022, 10:47 PM)jesalvein Wrote: sure, but it breaks other things (accuracy)

What do you mean by accuracy ?  Input delay, general performance ?

Fortunately, my settings kept game performance / graphics intact (no graphics/audio glitches).  And i had to changed quite some settings to get rid of graphics glitches ingame "Death by degrees" among others !!  

Mainly, due to upscale settings i am sure of it.

(11-14-2022, 10:47 PM)jesalvein Wrote: definitely not. 1 thread for ee, another for gs over ee, and a 3rd one for VUs (with mtvu hack) what else would you put on other threads ?
There you have it... that's what i exactly mean..  couldn't you use more threads for specific and solely demanding tasks ?  .. just brainstorming here .... Pac-Man
i mean, my cpu is an octa core, each core with 1 thread Rolleyes  Moreover , THE BLASTING FASTEST AM3+ cpu in existence Tongue  

(11-14-2022, 10:47 PM)jesalvein Wrote: others that use snowblind engine ? i don't think so.
Uhuh, i read ya... the "game engine" is an factor too.. 

but still , you would easily asume if the system is fast enough to emulate the hardware it would be enough to emulate the software... running on the emulated hardware right?..
i know, iam probebly wrong.. Tongue

(11-14-2022, 10:47 PM)jesalvein Wrote: that would be irrelevant. different games, different performances, different emulation in the end.

Appearantly that seems to be the case with game consoles..!

Further more , in that regard an console doesn't differ that much from an pc... same thing, other games requires specific minimum pc hardware Cool
BUT, with 1 important difference!! Console games are usually optimized to run on console hardware, thus the needs/requirements should stay the same... yet, doesnt translates when emulating performance wise..; wich isn't logic and baffles me!!

(11-14-2022, 10:47 PM)jesalvein Wrote: no. unless you tried to crank res up to 4k

LIke i said, no difference in performance, ... any clue why Huh ?  If i had to guess, gpu core speed/vram capacity & vram speed ...

Take care javelin,

cheerYup,
td
(11-14-2022, 10:24 PM)jesalvein Wrote: you can try disabling hw readbacks tnad crank speedhacks a bit,

I don"'t find that option anywhere?  Are you refering to "spin cpu during readbacks" mayhap?

If so, enabled improves speed at that section. And enable "Gpu Palet conversion" improved the speed aswell up to 80+%.  yet pcsX2 warns me that enable "gpu palet conversion" "might" decrease performance !?

It sure improved performance for me, i"d say Laugh 

Thanks for the feedback javalin,

cheers
ToiletDuck
(11-14-2022, 11:28 PM)ToiletDuck Wrote: C"mon, not the complete system... →Unless i want to crank it up to 4K didn't you say Tongue  lol
not the complete system, just the cpu and the mobo.
Quote:Fyi, i ve have upscaled some games from x3 (1080p) to X6 (4K) Biggrin ,just to check out the average performance.
And strange enough the performance WOS EXACTLY the same !!??  Can you explain that ?  → GPU  speed and/or VRAM ?
because upscaling relies on the GPU and your isnt bad at all
Quote:atleast i know the gpu is decent to play every game at 1440p .. if not , i still got Amd RSR feature to upscale 1080p quality and maintain if not improve Fps Rolleyes
not all games. from what i read you are beginning with pcsx2 and computer basics, that's why you think you know .
trust me, you have no idea how many games can murder your gpu at 720p
Quote:Sure, iam not denying that... But given the fact i have tweaked it to run the game from 50% →@pcsx2 default settings to like 75 - 101% my settings. 
Is the living proof , that an weebit more optimization would do the trick me thinks..
that would be logic if we were talking about x86 architecture.
MIPS is a whole different beast, MIPS in PS2 is another one.
Quote:What do you mean by accuracy ?  Input delay, general performance ?
no. rendering effects as they should be, per cycle sync among other things.
performance<>emulation accuracy
Quote:Fortunately, my settings kept game performance / graphics intact (no graphics/audio glitches).  And i had to changed quite some settings to get rid of graphics glitches ingame "Death by degrees" among others !!  
Mainly, due to upscale settings i am sure of it.
of course, because upscaling is a hack. you are hacking hacks, which will lead to unstable behaviours sooner or later in game
Quote:There you have it... that's what i exactly mean..  couldn't you use more threads for specific and solely demanding tasks ?  .. just brainstorming here .... Pac-Man
what tasks ? if PS2 didn't have that "streaming way" of doing things, that requires pefect sync between all units, that would be easier.
Quote:i mean, my cpu is an octa core, each core with 1 thread Rolleyes  Moreover , THE BLASTING FASTEST AM3+ cpu in existence Tongue  
you're right, it's a good cpu for pcsx2 1.2
but since pcsx2 becomes more demanding as time goes by... well. i'll let you imagine
just so you know, ps2 has 10 cores.
so, in that way, your FX3850 is less powerful than a PS2 ?
Quote:Uhuh, i read ya... the "game engine" is an factor too.. 
but still , you would easily asume if the system is fast enough to emulate the hardware it would be enough to emulate the software... running on the emulated hardware right?..
i know, iam probebly wrong.. Tongue
completely wrong.
Ps2 dev kit let the gamedevs do whatever they want at a very low level.
there is no "barrier", and many games require "hacks" today to work as they should (as pcsx2 becomes more accurate, many hacks are removed, btw.)

Quote:Appearantly that seems to be the case with game consoles..!
wrong too.
thinking all consoles work the same way is a very bad start with emulation
Quote:Further more , in that regard an console doesn't differ that much from an pc...
ouch... my eyes are bleeding.
Quote:same thing, other games requires specific minimum pc hardware Cool
BUT, with 1 important difference!!  Console games are usually optimized to run on console hardware, thus the needs/requirements should stay the same... yet, doesnt translates when emulating performance wise..; wich isn't logic and baffles me!!
you has many games that weren't unoptimised for the console it was running on.
1st example that comes in mind is Sotc for me
Quote:LIke i said, no difference in performance, ... any clue why Huh ?  If i had to guess, gpu core speed/vram capacity & vram speed ...
read above
(11-15-2022, 01:52 AM)ToiletDuck Wrote: I don"'t find that option anywhere?  Are you refering to "spin cpu during readbacks" mayhap?

If so, enabled improves speed at that section. And enable "Gpu Palet conversion" improved the speed aswell up to 80+%.  yet pcsX2 warns me that enable "gpu palet conversion" "might" decrease performance !?

It sure improved performance for me, i"d say Laugh 

Thanks for the feedback javalin,

cheers
ToiletDuck

[Image: 1668493544-snap-screen-20221115072233.png]