Best Configuration For Metal Gear Solid 3(Help)
hi,im new and i search in site,but i cant find something to help me can configure pcsx2 for play MGS3.
please someone help me or said to me which item important or which item not checked in box for play better this game.
i have run this game but in Cutsence or demo ,i have slow display and my frame is 30 or 28 but in game my frame is 50 or 40 or 30 in game i dont have any problem yet in play ingame , but for Demo i can't see it obviously ,so plz tell me best configure for This Game Which one?!and one more thing sound is sooo trouble for me.
and one more thing dont post link of Basic Guide cause i Read that thing and can't help me at all.
oh i just forgot ,my system is:
CPU:AMD 6000+ Black Edition 64bit
VGA:Winfast Leadtek Geforce 8600 GTS 256MB 128Bit DDR3 PCI-E
Ram:3Gb 800
thank u so much

Sponsored links

Your GPU sounds a bit weak for this very demanding game.
Maybe speedhacks may help you, or chacking "native" in gsdx options
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
the zero gs plug in has a hack fix menu in it use that to play mgs3
Devil May Cry 3Wackopecial Ed.
Dirge Of Cerberus:Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 12
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts RE:Chain Of Memories
You need to check the "native" option in Gsdx and probably use VUSkip or the "VU cycle stealing" speedhack in the beta set to the max.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Believe in it or not, MGS3 isn't as playable as most people say it is...
Sure, you can play from start to end with 50-60fps in most areas, but only if you are willing to lose 50% of the way the developers intended you to see the game.

I'll explain:

To play the game at its fullest, unless you have a real powerfull CPU, you'll probably have to use your GPU, what means hardware mode on GSdx... What is natural, if: GSdx on hardware mode supported MGS3. It doesn't really, you'll loose lots of effects (reflections on water [actually you'll end up with some colored garbage], full-screen shading/bloom/color-correction, radio pictures/effects).

In other words, if you really want to play the game as it should be, you'll have to use software mode, that cuts fps by half, and makes it slow in most machines.

Just Open the game and press F9 to see the difference between software and hardware mode.
I would wait a little more for GSdx to fully support it. MGS deserves to be played like the developers intended

But if you really must insist, these are my settings:
GSdx: Make sure you use Native, all other options use default.
CPU: Disable MicroVU, as far as I know, it makes no difference on MGS3
SpeedHacks: Play around with cycle rate, usually for me it makes the game slower. Emotion Engine hacks I use all, VU Cycle Stealing at almost full.

Works fast in hardware mode, fully playable. But the graphics loose lot of its charm, as I said.
So in general, Software mode is better than Hardware mode. Then why does everyone use Hardware mode?
(10-18-2009, 06:49 AM)sentinel42 Wrote: So in general, Software mode is better than Hardware mode. Then why does everyone use Hardware mode?

People use Hardware mode because its faster and in most games there is no visual difference between both modes. Since on Hardware mode you are using your GPU processor instead of your CPUs, you save processing power for the emulator.

But in MGS3 GSdx Hardware mode is significantly different from Software mode visually. I really don't know the why but I guess it has to do with rendering the screen to a surface and applying effects, as you can see that most of the differences are related to full-screen shaders or reflection. Probably its harder to program this using Direct3D, than it is using GSdx own rastering engine.

Most people don't realize but GSdx got lots of specific games hacks that are enabled without you knowing and sacrifice some visual fidelity in exchange of playability. Shadow of the Colossus is another game where this is employed.

I've attached a picture showing Software mode rendering (left) to Hardware (right), so anyone without the game can see.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You said that there are specific game hacks that sacrifices visual qualities. What are those game hacks that does that?

Also, since Software mode uses the Processor does that mean I don't need a good graphics card?
(10-18-2009, 05:17 AM)Carbono Wrote: Believe in it or not, MGS3 isn't as playable as most people say it is...
Sure, you can play from start to end with 50-60fps in most areas, but only if you are willing to lose 50% of the way the developers intended you to see the game.

Ehr playable means you can play the game begining to end, if you want to play a game "the way developers intended" or well 100% I dont think you should play it in other place than the PS2 as a computer monitor wont be able to show it as it's supposed to be to begin with (I guess if you played it with a TV as output it'd be ok Tongue).

(10-18-2009, 07:56 AM)Carbono Wrote: People use Hardware mode because its faster and in most games there is no visual difference between both modes.

On the contrary In hardware mode you can use higher internal resolution which makes a great visual difference in most games (besides of being much faster ofc), only some games actually need software mode (or native resolution) to run fine but then again software mode is the most compatible and slower mode.

Quote:I would wait a little more for GSdx to fully support it.

You would wait much more than "a little" as such changes dont occur just like that Tongue

(10-18-2009, 08:10 AM)sentinel42 Wrote: Also, since Software mode uses the Processor does that mean I don't need a good graphics card?

Yeah but you'd need a very very fast CPU instead if you want to run it at good speeds.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
For MGS3, My EE Sync Hack is always at 1X (curiously 1.5X and 2X slows the game down), all the other hacks are marked on and the VU Cycle Stealing is on the second mark - Slight Speedup.