Best Pc requirements for this emulator
Hi,

i need to buy a new pc, i don't know if laptop or desktop, also in order to use it with all my emulators. Which are the CPU/GPU and ram specs recommended in order to run this emulator with its best performance and with all the effects at maximum level?

For example, if I buy:
- a laptop:  i7 9750, GTX 1660Ti, 16GB RAM DDR4 2666 Mhz
- a desktop: i7 9700 (or i5 9600KF), GTX 1660Ti, 16GB RAM DDR4 2666 Mhz

Is it enough the above specs? What do you suggest?  I'm not interested to pc gaming, only to run every emulator at its best.

thank you

Sponsored links

Example with desktop PC with i5 9600KF looks good for PCSX2, because this emulator needs in high frequency per core more than in the number of cores.

But need to know what are you mean about "all my emulators" and "all the effects at maximum level".

Because if you want to using emulators of 7th and higher console generation, when you also need in bigger quantity of cores and high frequency. And if you want emulating games on true maximum quality, even on PCSX2, you need much powerful GPU.

For example - my Zotac GeForce GTX 980 (Engine Clock - 1165 MHz; Video Memory - 4GB GDDR5) in main menu of PS2 version of "Star Wars - The Force Unleashed" (NTSC-UC) loaded on the 60% and eat ~2.3GB of video memory on 8x native resolution of real console. I emphasize - it's only for running at full speed only main menu, not gameplay. And PCSX2 allow to run game in 12x native resolution of real console.

That's why, if you need in "all the effects at maximum level" then you must buy Intel Core i9-9900K (or even better - i9-9900KS) and GTX 2080/2070 SUPER (Engine Clock - 1890+ MHz; Video Memory - 8+ GB). 16GB RAM DDR4 2666 MHz will enough.

But if you are satisfied with games running in just “much better quality than on the original hardware”, then desktop example will suit for you.

However, I would still recommend to change the processor to something "Intel with 8 cores and 3,6+ GHz base frequency" like i7-9700KF. And overclock it to, at least, 4GHz.
PCSX2 is kinda not the best example of upscaling ( a lot of games just break if you go higher in resolution... also 6x is generally 4k resolution (well it depends on the exact game since PS2 does not have a unified resolution) and just because you can go higher does not mean you should go higher.

In dolphin a GTX 1050 level card (or better) can handle 4k resolution upscaling, though why you would have a 4k monitor and a GTX 1050 is another question entirely.

That being said for PS2 and Gamecube\Wii you need a CPU with single threaded performance around 2000+ (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html). For newer emulators of more modern multi core consoles (RCPS3, CEMU, ect) you need many cores and they need to be fast. Something like the i7-9700KF is ok, but the 3rd Gen RYZEN CPUs are even better (and cheaper) (desktop... not mobile).

Graphics wise it will depend on what emulators you want to use and how much you want to alter the original look (upscaling resolutions, texture packs (on emulators that support them, AA, AF, ect). Anything that relies on OpenGL then Nvidia has an advantage in performance (all other performance being roughly equal) due to AMD's very bad driver support for OpenGL. Any emulator with strong Vulkan support and that flips to AMD being slightly better at the same performance level (roughly).

So the real question is what emulators? What is your definition of all effects at maximum level? (console games usually do not have graphic options... so not sure what you mean) Finally, what is your actual budget? (I mean I can create an overcompensation build for running emulators with top of the line everything, price included, and that would be the most performance you could currently get... but I doubt you would want to spend what that would cost.)
Hi

many thanks.  I answer to your questions:

1) I have all emulators, more or less. But as you know the emulators that needs more resources are: PCSX2, CEMU, DOLPHIN, RCPS3 and probably REDREAM for Dreamcast. But Redream still works really well on my current desktop (i5 4690K overclokcked to 4.2Ghz, GTX 970 G1 Gaming, 8GB RAM DDR3 2155Mhz).  And I still have my ps3 console so I'm not really interested to RCPS3. I mean: if it works well, with effects and resolution better that the original console, OK. Otherwise i can play ps3 games on the original console.

2) As And93ml said, I'm satisfied "with games running in just “much better quality than on the original hardware”

So, you suggest first of all a desktop solution, not a laptop. Am I right? If so, i can buy for example:

CPU: i7 9700KF or AMD Ryzen 3700X
GPU: GTX 1660Ti (or RTX 2060)
RAM: 16 GB DDR5 2666Mhz

I want this case: https://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/pro...a=it&top=S  So, i have to verify if I need to overclock the cpu. If so, I have to verify if i can install in this case an additional cooler..

Thank you
It is a 14.6 liter case so as long as you can find a good mini ITX Motherboard (with all the ports and bells\whistles you need\want) and provide adequate cooling (SFF with high performance parts can be a pain to keep in thermal check) then your example specs are fine.

Dolphin needs a 1050 or higher class card to run at 4k, CEMU is more demanding and not well optimized just yet but if it can run well on CEMU then that setup should run well on CEMU. RCPS3 would be mainly for the games that will run at higher then PS3 resolution... or if you want emulator benifits (savestates, easier cheating, not having to get up to change discs, ect.). Again CEMU and RCPS3 are changing almost every week (if not day) so what they need could change.

As far as desktop vs laptop. Desktop will be much faster and able to do much more for less money.... a laptop is portable. How important is the portability aspect? Also nice choice in a 16 series GTX or a RTX. The gamescom drivers added GPU integer scaling which will improve the look of your 2d games from the 32bit era and prior as a nice bonus. Keeping them sharp and jaggy and not all blurry.

So yes that is a fine example system. Is there more you can do... Sure you can run a more expensive GPU to allow for slightly more enhancements in slightly more games, but as a price to performance type of a setting this is a good base.
1) yes i still have to search a good mini ATX motherboard...I don't have any idea now... And i don't know which cooling... I have to ask some suggestions.

2) well I would like to use this new pc usually with my lcd tv: currently I have a fullHD tv (46") but in future i will buy a 4K tv (56"). I tried on my current tv some emulators on the laptom that I use at work: the graphic is really good on a fullHD tv 46" also because I play at about 2m/2.5m. I don't know it the graphic will be so good when i will use the emulators on the new 4K tv... I hope so! If it woul be possible I would prefer a laptop because if i want i can use it also not with tv. But if performance are not good as dekstop, i can buy a desktop, for sure!

3) sorry, what do you mean with "16 series GTX or a RTX"? Are you talking about some specific GPU graphic card? Which models in particular? If i have to spend about 50/10 euro more in order to have a good improvement...ok
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_(...hitecture) any of these cards. So any card with RTX in front if you want ray tracing and the AI cores. Or the newest line of GTX cards the ones that start GTX 16XX
ah yes yes, in my configuration I supposed to buy GTX 1660Ti or RTX 2060, both are present in the link you provide me, so I can chooses one of the 2 and both are fine, right?
better choose the nvidia one if you ask me
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-14-2019, 04:35 PM)legolas119 Wrote: ah yes yes, in my configuration I supposed to buy GTX 1660Ti or RTX 2060, both are present in the link you provide me, so I can chooses one of the 2 and both are fine, right?
Let me answer on this question - yes, they both is fine, if you don't interested in hardware RTX support (I don't hear about this function in emulators, by the way). In the other way you forced to choose 2060.

---

About motherboard. I can recommend Asus as a manufacturer - since the motherboards of this company are very loyal to overclocking. You are likely to be able to get the extra hundreds of MHz just by selecting one item in one menu in UEFI.

And since you choose between i7 9700KF and AMD Ryzen 3700X, you need a motherboard based on the Z370/Z390 chipset (Intel) or X370/X470 (AMD) as the most suitable for the processor overclock.

I will venture to offer you a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING motherboard.

About cooling. Since you want a compact case in which there is little space for coolers (and which will be small), I will try to offer: Noctua NH-L12S (CPU cooler), Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM or Enermax D.F. Storm 12cm (case fan) and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (thermal compound).