Bios
Well I can assure you now none of the dev team, which is limited in size already, have any intentions of creating a BIOS from scratch! Even if they did, it could take a while to do, and in that time you could have extracted a BIOS from your own PS2 and be using this quite incredible emulator for several months already.
We
Usually
Take
All
N*****
Garments

Sponsored links

(10-03-2012, 01:02 PM)Rolento Wrote: Well I can assure you now none of the dev team, which is limited in size already, have any intentions of creating a BIOS from scratch! Even if they did, it could take a while to do, and in that time you could have extracted a BIOS from your own PS2 and be using this quite incredible emulator for several months already.

It is nice.
Developing our own BIOS is something with dabbled with in the past, but we are still unsure of any legal problems we might come across, the last thing we want to do is upset Sony by essentially copying their software.

On top of that, there could be serious compatibility issues in doing so. We have talked about high level emulating the bios, which might be the better option.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-03-2012, 01:13 PM)refraction Wrote: Developing our own BIOS is something with dabbled with in the past, but we are still unsure of any legal problems we might come across, the last thing we want to do is upset Sony by essentially copying their software.

Considering Sony already tried suing the maker of VGS over the custom bios they built only too lose (and upon appeal we're thrown out of court) I really wonder if Sony would try this again.
I prefer my method to running on a LAN:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-BIOS-dump...#pid243664
(10-03-2012, 03:22 PM)Laraul Wrote: Considering Sony already tried suing the maker of VGS over the custom bios they built only too lose (and upon appeal we're thrown out of court) I really wonder if Sony would try this again.

Will you be up to paying for all the legal expenses and going to court for us? Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(10-03-2012, 12:34 PM)Clonkex Wrote: It's completely illegal to download a bios from the internet (even if you actually own a PS2), and no one here will tell you where to do that, so don't ask. They will, however, all be happy to point you to the above link on dumping the bios from your PS2 (which unfortunately requires modding your PS2), as that's the normal and the legal method of obtaining a PS2 bios.

Only a judge could decide if something like this is a violation of law. And no judge is ever going to rule on this. So it's impossible to say weather it's legal or not legal. Which is why you have to rely on ethics. What is morally acceptable and what isn't. I would bet you'd find most people agreeing that if you already have a PS2, you should be able to download the firmware from where ever you wish. From your PS2, or from another source. It's all the same in the end. And frankly it's no ones business but your own where you got it. Just please do not state that you must *mod* your PS2 to use PCSX2. Cuz you may kill a PS2 if you try to mod it.
You don't need to mod it as it's been stated several times before, just use an exploit. This certainly looks like a violation of the law, else downloading games you own would be legal, which has been proven in court NOT to be legal at least in the UK. In any case, we do prefer being safe than sorry so that's how the rules are.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I'm fairly certain it would be illegal to develop an imitation PS2 bios. The bios is effectively the "key" that allows the simulation PS2 hardware to work. I don't think Sony would like it if we copied their bios. They probably tolerate us copying their hardware because it still requires a dumped PS2 bios to be legal, but if we took that away they might kill the PCSX2 project. Forcing users to dump their own PS2 bios means there's some sort of legality to the project.

Clonkex
Quote:Only a judge could decide if something like this is a violation of law. And no judge is ever going to rule on this. So it's impossible to say weather it's legal or not legal. Which is why you have to rely on ethics. What is morally acceptable and what isn't. I would bet you'd find most people agreeing that if you already have a PS2, you should be able to download the firmware from where ever you wish. From your PS2, or from another source. It's all the same in the end. And frankly it's no ones business but your own where you got it.

I see what you mean. However, I was talking about the technical legal side of things. It's illegal to download a bios, even if you own a PS2, but I can guarantee no one would care (you already own a PS2, who cares where the bios comes from?). Still, it is illegal, so to be on the safe side it's best to dump the bios from your PS2 (and not a friend's PS2, you have to actually own it).

Quote:you may kill a PS2 if you try to mod it.

Yes, you might. That's the risk you run. Lots of people mod their PS2s very successfully, and some mods don't even require unscrewing your PS2 or voiding the warranty, so it can be quite easy to do the required mods.

Quote:You don't need to mod it as it's been stated several times before, just use an exploit.

Really? How do you do that? I've looked all over the internet and I've not found any way of dumping your bios without modding your PS2 (even if it's just a slide tool).

Clonkex