Black Screen After Loading (odd noise plays, as well)
The ps2 loading screen goes through, but then I hear a very odd noise and get a black screen with no sound or video. I've looked at other threads and haven't found anything that's changed this behavior. Here's the text in the console: 
https://pastebin.com/9qQjwMmc
This behavior is consistent across both Spyro 2 and Crash Bandicoot 2. Audio sample attached.
EDIT: My specs are as follows.
-windows 10 64-bit
-intel i5 5200u
-8G ddr3 ram
-GeForce GTX 950M

And yeah, I am aware that sometimes pcsx2 doesn't play nice with laptops. Hopefully it's got nothing to do with that.

Attached Files
.mp3   ps2.mp3 (Size: 222,52 KB / Downloads: 207)

Sponsored links

Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.

Please make sure to enclose your emulog in code tags like so (remove the empty space on the closing code tag!):
[code]
Pasted emulog goes here
[ /code]
PS1 support is not that great yet and you are using an older version of pcsx2
If you want to play ps1 games,better use epsxe
(04-12-2018, 04:49 AM)CK1 Wrote: Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.

Please make sure to enclose your emulog in code tags like so (remove the empty space on the closing code tag!):
[code]
Pasted emulog goes here
[ /code]

Here's emulog.txt https://pastebin.com/QDRy7Z3D

(04-12-2018, 06:12 AM)vsub Wrote: PS1 support is not that great yet and you are using an older version of pcsx2
If you want to play ps1 games,better use epsxe

I got this version from pcsx2.net, are those links not maintained? Where can I find the newest stable version? Also, epsxe also has issues; it crashes immediately even if all I do is load the BIOS, in spite of the fact that I seem to be using one of the recommended BIOS versions, 1001.
You have the newest stable version.
but pcsx2 has made progresses about PS1 emulation quite recently in git builds. means you'd better use latest GIT build instead of stable one
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
For PS1 I use Retroarch.
(04-12-2018, 06:44 AM)jesalvein Wrote: You have the newest stable version.
but pcsx2 has made progresses about PS1 emulation quite recently in git builds. means you'd better use latest GIT build instead of stable one

Thanks! That kinda works! The game runs, graphics are buggy as heck though and it's slow, running at speeds as low as 80%. I'll just look for normal solutions to that problem before considering if it's due to it being an unstable build.
it's not due to the build being unstable.
it's because we actually didn't care about PS1 emulation in pcsx2 until quite recently. so what you're trying is still in early dev stages.

In short, it needs time and manpower to improve Wink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Exclamation 
(04-12-2018, 08:06 AM)Gigabitten Wrote: Thanks! That kinda works! The game runs, graphics are buggy as heck though and it's slow, running at speeds as low as 80%. I'll just look for normal solutions to that problem before considering if it's due to it being an unstable build.

The development builds aren't unstable. Quite simply, the bugs you are noticing are due to a few known issues that just haven't been addressed due to the currently low priority of PSX mode. If you just want to know what buttons to press and things to do to get things working:
  • Skip FMVs. They look like crap and in some games if you let them run too long the emulator actually gets stuck. Varies by game though.
  • Set EE cyclerate to -3. This will speed your games back up to around 100%.
  • Use software renderers, making sure to boot your game with it, not just swap to it midgame. This will fix most graphics corruption issues with only a few edge cases left that I know of.
Or if you want a more technical explanation of the same things, this may suit your interests:
  • DMA timing problems in both DMA3 and (I think) DMA2? The second one may be the wrong number, but I do know it is a DMA channel for the GPU. You will notice FMVs may have some combination of distorted graphics, audio, and playback speed issues.
  • A hyperactivity problem in the EE. It seems to be at a way higher utilization than it should be for reasons unknown. Setting the EE cyclerate to -3 remediates this if your CPU can't handle it at normal speed. This can however amplify FMV playback speed issues, depending on the game.
  • Problems in GSdx hardware renderers. I don't think anyone has quite pinpointed the root cause here but booting PSX games with software renderers will give much better graphics. Note that if you've already booted the game with a hardware renderers, a lot of the graphics corruption will remain even if you swap renderers midgame. Because of this I suspect there may be an issue with the texture cache, actually.
This sure would be a lot to quote if I responded to everything, so I'm not going to bother. But I did want to say, thanks for the massive amount of help. jesalvein, thanks for pointing me to the most recent build and explaining that psx support just isn't very good yet. pandubz, thanks for giving me settings that work. It works great now! The little technical overview was nice too, since I understood enough to basically understand. sort of.