[Bug Report] Dynasty Warriors 3 Xtreme Legends [NTSC-U]
# PCSX2 version: Official v1.0.0, Official 1.4.0, Latest GIT (as of 2 days ago from this post)
# CPU options: EE/IOP defaults, VUs defaults
# Plugins used: hardware and software defaults for each version used
# Description: saves get corrupted which can be repeated by simply going to the options menu, saving, then rebooting the game

the only thing i can think of is that KOEI supposedly added some anti-cheat protection to this game which was said to corrupt data and that somehow this is being triggered

Sponsored links

From GameFAQs website: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/562545-dynas...faqs/21500
"Q: I received a "Corrupt Data" message when I loaded the game!

A: It seems that by either design or accident Dynasty Warrior 3 data that has been modified
with either a Gameshark or Codebreaker cannot be read by the game. It's still under
investigation as to what is actually causing this to occur.
"

PCSX2 handling the save file is probably triggering the same issue.
a gamefaqs post i came across mentioned KOEI used the same protection on two games, i didn't pay attention to the other game mentioned but it was something released around the same time such as a ROTK game, and these 2 games seem to be the only ones KOEI used it on
I may have lucked out. It doesn't work with any official release, BUT the dev release pcsx2-r5875.exe works perfectly fine for me, so I run both 1.4 and r5875 in parallel depending on which game I want to play. The only reason I'm posting extra info here (with a throwaway account, annoying I can't just post) is because I also want to see it fixed, and this should help immensely.

Edit: For anyone searching for the exact message I get, likely related to the same cause behind the save/load corruption, so they actually find it here, when it doesn't work to import data: "The memory card (8MB)(for PlayStation 2) in MEMORY CARD slot 1 is corrupted. Unable to combine with the Xtreme Legends data."

But in 5875, the import of save data, as well as the save/load functionality, works perfectly fine. The import save data message: "You can create Xtreme Legends data with the character data, items and weapons from your Dynasty Warriors 3 data on the memory card (8MB)(for PlayStation 2) in MEMORY CARD slot 1. Will you continue?"

I'm guessing a new feature that was added, which was probably a no-op before, now does the right thing, breaking the game.
pcsx2-r5875.exe belongs to the stable release v1.2.1, it's not part of any dev release.