[Bug Report] Eternal Poison [NTSC]
who is it ?

The bug doesn't show on SW renderer. Or the text doesn't show on SW renderer Wink

Sponsored links

(08-21-2016, 11:06 AM)gregory Wrote: who is it ?

The bug doesn't show on SW renderer. Or the text doesn't show on SW renderer Wink
The text doesn't show in any of the renderers.
From this thread and this post linked from that thread, the problem seems to be related to the emulator and the only fix available so far is using the wide screen patch. Unfortunately, that patch only works for the NTSC-J version as of now.

As it can be seen in the images below (borrowed from arapapa's post), the text box can be tweaked to make the text entirely visible. I don't know how to make a patch so from there I am clueless.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=60363] [Image: attachment.php?aid=60364]

If anyone understands the patching, please provide some words of wisdom. Thanks.
I suggest you ask arapapa if he can help you with porting the patch.
Thank you. I previously sent him a PM and am waiting for his reply. Hope the porting wouldn't cause him too much trouble.

Btw, I just recalled an issue. That is, after the stage called Perdition in Thage's tale, when the post-battle dialogue ends, instead of going back to town as usual, the screen stays black and remains so for several minutes. I tried replaying from the save and always encountered the problem in PCSX2 1.4.0 but not in PCSX2 1.2.1 (r5875). It might also be a problem with the game as similar cases were reported on GameFAQs's board.
Thank you very much for helping port the patch.

I tried it immediately after I saw your post and even forgot to enable widescreen in emulation settings first. After making sure that I had done everything correctly, I checked in-game and still ran into the text problem as it can be seen in the attached screenshot.
Here is what I did:
- Enabled 16:9 widescreen.
- Copied the patch to Cheats folder, enabled both cheats and widescreen patches.
- Restarted the emulator before booting the game.
This is my first time using these patches so it could have been that I missed one or two steps.

Thank you again for your effort.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-29-2016, 03:50 AM)1631991 Wrote: Thank you very much for helping port the patch.

I tried it immediately after I saw your post and even forgot to enable widescreen in emulation settings first. After making sure that I had done everything correctly, I checked in-game and still ran into the text problem as it can be seen in the attached screenshot.
Here is what I did:
- Enabled 16:9 widescreen.
- Copied the patch to Cheats folder, enabled both cheats and widescreen patches.
- Restarted the emulator before booting the game.
This is my first time using these patches so it could have been that I missed one or two steps.

Thank you again for your effort.

oops, sorry I made a bad typo.

Now it should work. Smile

Attached Files
.pnach   2be55519.pnach (Size: 674 bytes / Downloads: 780)
Thank you for following my query. It appears thing gets complicated and I am confused if I did anything wrong.
To be sure, I mimicked this video but couldn't get the patch to work. One thing I noticed is that just by selecting widescreen in Windows Settings without enabling cheats or patches, I had the same widescreen effect (stretched image) as if I had enabled those two. So, it could be either that I messed up somewhere or the problem is only with my particular case. Think I will give it a go later on.

You spent time porting the patch despite Eternal Poison isn't a popular game. I am much obliged Smile

Edited:
Silly me, the folder I need to use resides in Documents while I kept moving the patch to the installation directory's Cheats folder. Perfect! Thank you very much Laugh
I assume the patch here fixes the missing text? - if that's the case, this will be all set to go.
(01-12-2018, 05:51 AM)CK1 Wrote: I assume the patch here fixes the missing text? - if that's the case, this will be all set to go.
Yes, it does, but there is no fix currently in the master(the cheats.ws file in latest git does not include it yet), so it's not all done yet. And I'm not sure if a widescreen patch can work as a resolved with workaround, as that includes many more hacks that could cause issues.

I'm not sure either if a hack fix for in-game text is ideal to include as GameIndex patch. It might as well break some other effects in-game which we could get a bug report for. Turning off widescreen patches is logical, but turning off automatic gamefixes is less common, especially when trying to debug graphics bugs. I'm not sure how well tested it is anyway.