[Bug Report] GSDX: Hardware mode - [Bug Report] Star Ocean 3 - Incorrect Framebuffer
[Bug Report] Star Ocean 3 (NTSC-U)

# PCSX2 version: PCSX2 1.5.0-dev-2381-gff3052935
# CPU options: EE/IOP defaults, VUs default settings. 
# Speed hacks: Enable INTC Spin, mVU Flag Hack, Enable Wait Loop Detection, MTVU. 
# Plugins used: GSdx 20180519084824 1.1.0 (hardware and software, dx11), SPU2-X rev 20180519084824 2.0.0
# Description: Battle transition effects are rendered incorrectly with the hardware rendering engine, but correctly and accurately appear normal in software render mode. What I suggest to get around it is implementing a hack similar to the Grandia 2 FMV hack, have the emulator switch between hardware to software to display the FMV for spell animations and so on, then switch back to hardware. 

I did notice the option to enable large framebuffer, but didn't enable that. Star Ocean 3 is a fantastic game, but unfortunately, there hasn't been a viable solution to playing this properly at upscaled resolutions (well, you can count the PS4 version, and it does get that battle transition/texture cache effect right, but the game is very unstable on PS4, lots of crashes). 

GS dump files attached below, along with screenshots: 

Software render GS dump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12hAxhhT...sp=sharing 
Screenshot:
[Image: GqAFvUe.png]

Hardware render GS dump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10WSxSTD...sp=sharing
Screenshot:

[Image: k4jVgJX.png]

Would enabling the large framebuffer resolve the framebuffer issues in this game? What about those black vertical lines when changing from screens/areas? I know we've discussed this particular quirk in the past, and I know it was low priority. If it can't be resolved, then can there be a compromise to doing it the way the Grandia 2 game hack does it by changing to software for a few seconds, then back to hardware?  I know I've mentioned it a long time ago, and I apologize for bringing it up, but I figured I would report it better this time.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio

Sponsored links

Perhaps I should ask a mod or admin to close this thread, as I assume the framebuffer for this game and Grandia 3, are permanently broken in HW mode.
Custom Desktop
Triple post, looks like this thread's never getting a response. Can I have a mod close it? Thanks.
Custom Desktop
It's only been a week, give it some time. Many of us have already seen your report (thank you again) but right now we're busy fixing other games and doing real life stuff Smile
(06-01-2018, 03:03 AM)CK1 Wrote: It's only been a week, give it some time. Many of us have already seen your report (thank you again) but right now we're busy fixing other games and doing real life stuff Smile

I didn't know if people truly saw it or not, or how serious the issue is, I didn't know. I'm sorry  Blush
Custom Desktop
Well according to the forum,the thread have been seen at least 340 times and is it all that important the thread this be closed

And BTW switching between he and sw too often in short amount of time can crash the emulator and also,the spells/skills/transitions are not video files like the spells in grandia 2
Do you tried OGL Render? I noticed you are mentioning only DX11.
(06-01-2018, 06:19 AM)vsub Wrote: Well according to the forum,the thread have been seen at least 340 times and is it all that important the thread this be closed

And BTW switching between he and sw too often in short amount of time can crash the emulator and also,the spells/skills/transitions are not video files like the spells in grandia 2

What do you suggest? Is this bug report in vain like the last time I reported this issue? I honestly want to know how serious this issue is and if enabling "larger framebuffer" would mitigate the issue. Can this issue be resolved, is it being looked into? I thought that PCSX2 aimed for accuracy and performance, to be as close to the real hardware as possible in terms of features, compat, etc, and the broken framebuffer kind of ruins the experience.

(06-01-2018, 06:19 AM)kozarovv Wrote: Do you tried OGL Render? I noticed you are mentioning only DX11.

I haven't, no, I assumed DX11 was the more accurate API to use for PCSX2, I feel like I posted another bug report in vain, yet again, to be honest.
Custom Desktop
OpenGL is far more accurate, I would try that, especially as you have an Nvidia GPU
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-01-2018, 06:43 PM)refraction Wrote: OpenGL is far more accurate, I would try that, especially as you have an Nvidia GPU
I wasn't aware, of OGL being more accurate, as my GPU is the 970 GTX, but will it solve the framebuffer issues in games like Star Ocean 3 and Grandia 3? I'll test that API and report back (not holding my breath).  I still feel that this bug report was in vain, but I digress.

Edit: Tried OGL, battle transition/framebuffer effects are still broken. Not surprised, I thought they would work better, so yeah, this bug report has been in vain.  Sad I give up. If it wasn't fixed before when I reported it so long ago, it won't be looked into or fixed in the future. And no, "larger framebuffer" didn't help either.
Custom Desktop