[Bug Report] Macross [NTSC-J]
Used to be playable, then after leaving it for a while, i decided to test this again on new revisions.
Now, it always crashes on boot with this line in the console:
vtlb miss : addr 0xB4, mode 0 [read]
and an unhandled win32 exception error box.

Tested latest on revision 634 (compiled@home),
all cpu options on,
no speedhacks,
default in advanced.

Since i remembered how i could play it on previous versions, i started digging a bit, tested some old versions... and found out it would only work up to revision 534 of Playground (back before the merge, then), and only with at least EE/IOP sync hack (x3) and one of the (x2) hacks enabled (enabling all 3 works as well).
Starting from Pg-535 (when Jake.Stine implemented the new hacks functions and dialog box), the game would no longer run, no matter what hack combo i put (no hacks at all included).
Tested more revisions pre and post-merge, nothing changed.
Rig: [email protected]/2gb DDR2-5300/MSI HD4670 512M/Intel P5K Pro/XP Pro SP3 & Win7 RC1

Sponsored links

Update:
Revision 671.
The game can now run once again, but on certains conditions only:
1. 'Run CD/DVD' only (Run->Execute doesn't work, see below)
2. All speedhacks options must be enabled/maxed (means 3x EEsync, INTC sync, IOP 2x and Waitcycles). Advanced options don't seem to matter.
3. Soft resetting the game itself will make it crash as seen below. Switching from another game to Macross doesn't cause any problem, on the other hand, but only if Macross hasn't been started beforehand in the same emulator session (starting Macross -> switching to another game -> switching back to Macross, even with working conditions = crash with error).

If 1 or 2 aren't set (or if you do something from 3), it will make the game crash with this error message in the console:
(EE) Tlb Miss, addr=0xb4 [load]
(EE) PC: 0x00302310 Cycle:0x8.8x

Below are screenshots from the game using 'working' settings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rig: [email protected]/2gb DDR2-5300/MSI HD4670 512M/Intel P5K Pro/XP Pro SP3 & Win7 RC1
Revision 693.
Game no longer work no matter what speedhack or advanced setting i set. Displays above error message all the time now.
With build 720, it's still working, but a lot of graphics errors.
The plugins, i'm using the originals of the 0.9.6 std release.

CPU: 3600+x2 @2250mhz
Mem: 2x2gb Gskill 5-5-5-15 @900mhz
Vid: 9800GT XFX
Mom: EPoX MF570 SLI
Well, I can't make it run in 720 (nor in current, 735 as i'm writing). Mind posting your settings (cpu/hack/advanced)?

Edit: Nevermind, it actually seems to work, even with current, but i have to do "Run CD/DVD" several times before it properly boots. Also, enabling all speedhacks and setting the Advanced options to Round> Chop/zero, Clamp> None and checking the others seem to increase the chance to boot.

Edit2: Oh, and ZeroGS gives both better performance and less graphical glitches at the same time (at least for my rig, performance-wise).
GSDx's graphical glitches appears when using a custom internal resolution. Native displays correctly.

Edit3: Almost forgot: the error message, when it crashes, slightly changed; it now displays this
(EE) PC: 0x00302310 Cycle: 0xaf3f638b
(The hexa number in Cycle is random now)
When crash, recieved a very similar error:

(EE) PC: 0x00302310 Cycle: 0xb0b6c3ab

But in my case, the cycle is the same always.

With ZeroGS, the graphics boot OK (i think that Advanced options - Clamp> None made the trick, original was in Normal) , but after a while, i can get graphics errors, but returning to pcsx main menu, and then back to game fix them.

GSDX, gave less performance than ZeroGS, and Native display fix the graphics gliches ingame. The intro sequence runs better in ZeroGS.

Thanks for the tips.
As soon as get the Win7 Build 7048 x64, i'm gone try this (probably no differences at all).
CPU: Ph II 945x4 / Mem: 2x2gb Gskill 5-5-5-15 @800mhz/ Vid: GTS 250 512mb XFX / Mom: EPoX MF570 SLI / OS: Win 7 Ultimate
Notebook: Asus u30jc (i3 350m, 4gb ddr3, geforce 310m)
Same config as last time, but with build 791 + GSDX, get better frames than before. Very stable, and so far, never crashed.
Thanks again.
CPU: Ph II 945x4 / Mem: 2x2gb Gskill 5-5-5-15 @800mhz/ Vid: GTS 250 512mb XFX / Mom: EPoX MF570 SLI / OS: Win 7 Ultimate
Notebook: Asus u30jc (i3 350m, 4gb ddr3, geforce 310m)
Ok, then. The crashing problem is soved, so closed and moved to general for reference