[Bug Report] Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves [NTSC-U]
# PCSX2 Version: Stable v1.6.0 & Nightly v1.7.2755

# Emulation Options: EE/IOP defaults, VUs defaults. No Hacks.

# Plugins Used: Stable = All renderers tested [GSdx 20200506140834 (MSVC 19.25 AVX2/AVX2) 1.2.0 GSdx32-AVX2]. Nightly = All renderers tested.

# Description: Having "Automatic Gamefixes" turned on breaks the rendering of shadows, causing them to blink in and out of the scene during movement. Easily visible during the first stage in Venice, from the attached memcard.
Simply turning off Auto Gamefixes resolves the issue. I can't say what "fix" is causing the problem in the first place.

(Note: The D3D11 HW/Renderer in the latest Stable build doesn't render shadows at all, so the problem isn't replicable there.)

Attached Files
.zip   Mcd001.zip (Size: 14,35 KB / Downloads: 116)

Sponsored links

hmm, can you disable auto fixes and set the VU rounding to Nearest, but not touch anything else, and see if that works okay? It seems to be that adding extra VU clamping breaks it.

I need you to play the game for a bit and confirm that the camera doesn't bug out
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Tested with the Nightly build, using the Vulkan renderer. After about ~30 minutes with VU Round Mode set to Nearest and making sure Auto Fixes was turned off, I haven't seen or felt any bugs with the camera. Everything appears to be working fine there!
Cool, thanks Smile I'll get our testers to confirm, if all is well, we'll just remove that option then. Thanks.

Can you make sure the mission "Dynamic Duo" works fine in Episode 5 with just the rounding and no clamping? Apparently if you try to blow up the pillar with Bently's bombs, they won't do anything if you don't have those settings.

so if you could try that and let me know, that'd be great.

So, Automatic Gamefixes off, VU Rounding set to Nearest, and Clamping to None? Like that I can confirm that the pillar couldn't be blown up.

I did some additional tests with different modes, and what I found was that VU Rounding settings don't matter at all for the glitch. The only thing that prevents the pillar from exploding is if you have VU Clamping set to None. Any other mode like Normal or higher works fine. (Clamping on Extra or Extra+Sign does cause the shadows to start breaking however.)

I'm attaching another memcard (hacked save) with every stage unlocked if anyone else wants to test it too. Just pick a stage, then select "Jobs & Challenges" to scroll through the available levels.

Attached Files
.zip   Mcd001.zip (Size: 13,49 KB / Downloads: 108)
If the game works properly with Vu round mode Chop/zero and Clamping set to Normal then may be the game doesn't even need any gamefixes. It was reported that round mode nearest is necessary for fixing game engine issue with bombs and ladders. Can you do bit more of testing to confirm?
Sure thing! I was playing through the game anyhow going through the whole series, so I'll just leave Gamefixes off and the VUs all on default, and I'll post back here if I come across any issues. Sly 3 ITSELF though is sort of a buggy game already, just to note, even on native PS2 hardware.
Yes I meant VU Normal clamping, not "none".

So does Chop/Zero and Normal clamping work fine for everything? the rounding Nearest in our DB says "Fixes game engine issue with bombs and ladders.", so that may be required.

But if you could check chop/zero + normal, then nearest + normal and check which works best (the first is preferred), then we can modify that

I'm a bit more than halfway through the game with VUs on Chop/Zero, Normal, and with Automatic Gamefixes off, and I haven't come across any noticeable problems. Shadows are working properly.

However upon playing "Dynamic Duo" on the 5th Episode again for another test, I wasn't able to blow up the pillar (whether on 1.6 Stable, or the latest Nightly build). And no matter what I tried I couldn't get the pillar to explode again with those settings like it was in my previous test using savestates, which I find confusing.

What's much more confusing than that though, is even after resetting PCSX2 with VU Round on Nearest, and Clamping set to Extra, I simply CANNOT get the pillar to explode properly now. No matter which options I have ticked I can't seem to progress past that point in the game. My best guess is that the issue is just very inconsistent, and I must be getting unlucky with my attempts.