[Bug Report] .hack//G.U. vol. 3//Redemption [NTSC-U]
PCSX2 Versions: 1.4.0, 1.21, 1.0.0

Emulation Options: Preset - 1 (No Speedhacks, All Recommended Settings)

Plugins Used: GSDx. SPU2-X, LilyPad (Rest are Null)

Description: "Double Vision" issues. The Issue actually spans across all Three (3) games in the .hack//G.U. series. Regardless of hacks used or not used (It is ever present) there are Three (3) "Ghost" images laid upon the main rendered image. The issue becomes more prevalent with upscaling. Here is an example:     (1366 x 768 custom internal resolution used to amplify the effect, though can be amplified with any upscaling setting). The larger the upscale, the more severe the effect.
The issue only affects the 3-Dimensional Rendering, and not the UI. It seems that most cutscenes do not have the issue. Possibly Post Processing that gets blown up with the upscaling, but I'm no expert.

Tested on Two (2) different computers. Most recently used specs:

APU A8-5600K Quad-Core
(GPU inactive, No Overclock)

Radeon HD 7870 XFX Core Edition
(Dual Dissipation, No Overclock)

8 GB DDR3 1600MHz
(No Memory Clock)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Extra Notes: There is a large section of space on the lower portion of the screen where the effect is not visible. Using the TC Offset Setting X:0 Y:6000 I was able to bring that line down and align one (1) of the images with the original, but the other two ( 2) still remain. Have tried with CRC hacks set to Full, None, and Agressive, have tried what some have suggested and used the Half-Pixel Offset HW Hack, all to no avail.

Extra Extra Notes: It is worth mentioning that the issue/effect is still there, even in native. It seems to be a sort of bloom, used to emphasize the backstory of a game within a game. I could be wrong, but it is there either way. Both hardware and software rendering on DX9 and 11 were used, none of which made a difference. OpenGL Hardware Rendering was used, to no avail. I am unable to test OpenGL software, for some unknown reason. I may be missing something in my drivers, but that's something I'll have to look into on my end and is in no way a reflection of the bug/issue. I have included two more images in the attachments.

Edit: The other two (2) "Ghost" images are more prevalent on higher upscales, I tried 1600 x 900 as well, and had the other two images be very visible.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

a lot of games use this effect as a dirt cheap "anti aliasing", your options are use a hack to correct it or skipdraw to stop it drawing it. Have you also tried the half pixel offset option?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(03-24-2016, 12:33 PM)refraction Wrote: a lot of games use this effect as a dirt cheap "anti aliasing", your options are use a hack to correct it or skipdraw to stop it drawing it.

Just tried it, took the time to try all the values between 1 and 100, and a little past that. Didn't do a thing.
None of the hacks correct.

(03-24-2016, 12:33 PM)refraction Wrote: Have you also tried the half pixel offset option?

I mentioned in my Extra notes that I have with no results other than blockiness and pixelation.
Half-Pixel Offset does mitigate it somewhat.
Without Half-Pixel Offset:

With Half-Pixel Offset:

I don't think there's much that can be done at this point. Personally I'd recommend playing it in software mode anyway, there are a number of small issues like this with various effects.
Software mode is much too slow for my PC. I've just gotten used to it, for now. You should look at it from 1600x900. It's crazy off.
How does it look if you set it at native internal resolution (1x)?
To answer your question .r5 the issue is always there but with the lower resolution its harder to see. Here are some comparisons. At native you can barely see it but as I increase the resolution it focuses a bit more. At a custom resolution of 2560x1440 its very pronounced. I believe I have tried adjust every setting possible to correct this and it is always there. Here is my rig in case anyone is wondering. 

CPU
Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory
Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage
Toshiba P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card
Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card
Power Supply
EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
OS
Windows 10 64bit
Monitor
QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II Multi TRUE10 Matte 27-Inch 2560x1440 AH-VA Panel DVI HDMI Monitor

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-09-2016, 02:39 AM)Gunvalkyrie Wrote: To answer your question .r5 the issue is always there but with the lower resolution its harder to see. Here are some comparisons. At native you can barely see it but as I increase the resolution it focuses a bit more. At a custom resolution of 2560x1440 its very pronounced. I believe I have tried adjust every setting possible to correct this and it is always there. Here is my rig in case anyone is wondering. 

CPU
Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory
Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage
Toshiba P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card
Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card
Power Supply
EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
OS
Windows 10 64bit
Monitor
QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II Multi TRUE10 Matte 27-Inch 2560x1440 AH-VA Panel DVI HDMI Monitor

What he/she posted pretty much sums it up. Sorry for no response, I didn't get an email for a response, .r5.
I was kind of hoping someone would have some ideas. Or hopefully recognize that its an issue that will hopefully be corrected in later releases.
(04-17-2016, 07:58 AM)Gunvalkyrie Wrote: I was kind of hoping someone would have some ideas. Or hopefully recognize that its an issue that will hopefully be corrected in later releases.

since it's still in the bug reporting section, it won't be left aside
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go