Building a Computer for PCSX2
(09-16-2009, 11:10 AM)ChronicNL Wrote: anyways making a pc especially for just 1 piece of software is kinda stupid in my oppinion

PC that can smoothly emulate PS2 can also run any new game at full speed.
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.

Sponsored links

A Phenom II will run PCSX2 smoothly? I always thought that Intel is the better choice for emulating the PS2.

The cheapest i7 only got a clock speed of 2.66ghz, if it's not overclocked. Will it be fast anyways? If I buy an i7, overclock it to 3.2ghz for example will it then run most of the games smoothly? I'm not interested in the GPU-Heavy games anyways.

Edit: By the way, i'm tending to the quad core because of other possibilities. I think the quad core is more future oriented than the dual core for other things like application and such.

I'm a little bit confused, by the way. The first guy said the processor is fast and okay, and another said its not fast enough. What should i believe?
It greatly depends on the game. In general we recommend a Core 2 Duo / Quad at about 3,2 Ghz for most games to work at good speeds. Anything over than that is a plus and will enable you to also play more demanding games at good speeds. Also keep in mind there are games that not even 3,8 Ghz is enough for them to work at good speeds (usually emulation problems cause this).

Now Core i7 is faster clock to clock than the Core 2 /Core Quads so if you get one and OC it to 3,2 ghz you should be pretty good for the majority of games. Indeed quad or corei7 is more future proof so if you have the cash I'd say go for one of those
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I don't think i've got enough money for buying an i7. 250€ for the processor, another 150€ for the mainboard, even more money for nealy useless ram (DDR3 isn't much better than 2)... That only is about 500€. I don't have so much money... It's important for me that the PC is not very noisy, thats the reason for the passive graphic card. I will use a better cooler than the boxed one, it will work better and will not be so noisy... But still, most of the PS2 Games will work on a C2Q 3.2ghz, especially the RPG Ones, am I right?

I am, by the way, not very scared of frame skipping. I know, there will be some games, where frame skipping is reqiored for some games with this equipment.

Its not so easy to spend the right amount of money. I don't want to buy an AMD, so I have a decision between an older socket with a cheaper CPU... Meh, that sucks.

I hope the C2D with 3.2ghz will be enough.
Well many RPGs are hard to emulate..3,2 ghz will not be enough for all of them, but something around 3,6 Ghz will be fine for most. If you're not scared of overclocking, with a nice mobo and an aftermarket cooler you can pull it off (or at least get close to that)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
So... buying a dual core and overclock it to 3.6~ghz ist more effective? Is it very hard to do? I thought about buying this cooler:

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/_/article...8&agid=297

It's german, i know, but it's the same product name and so on... Does anyone know that =/?
do you need a cooler with the fan located on its top? if not, then i'd recommend the scythe mugen 2: http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a393888.html ,which is a very good combination of low noise and high air flow.

btw, hardwareversand.de grants you a discount, if you enter their site through www.geizhals.at/deutschland , the zerotherm cooler e.g.: http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a238458.html (25,83€) Wink
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
Meh, i'm still curious. I don't have enough money for an i7, so should i buy a dual or quad core? The quad core does have 4 cores, so if i run more applications while running pcsx2 it will be slightly faster, right? But the dual core is FAR better for overclocking. So should I buy a dual core with 3.2ghz and the possibility of overclocking to 3.8~4ghz? Or a quad core with 2.8ghz, which won't be possible to overclock more than to 3.2ghz? I'm sorry... but I don't know what I should do. What would you do, dear forum?
go for i5 750
those are able to clock 4GHZ on air cooling as well
[Image: 1454055.png]
i5 750 without overclocking would be worth than E8600, and overclocking to 3.6 of several i5 750 will burn the chip (well, one of 5 testing cases I saw become unstable, and died at 3.8). If you plan to get i5 series, than wait to January, when Whestmere processors join the game. i5-650 with 3.3GHz base clock for $171 and i3-540 (3.06GHz) for $143 would be nice choice.