Buying new laptops, which one will work best with PCSX2?
(11-27-2013, 01:32 PM)Hall of Famer Wrote: I see, thats why they cost $1500-$2000 lol. Thanks for your comment. Also I wonder which brand of laptops are the best at heat sink/prevention of overheating(minus Mac, I know it does the best at keeping its computer cool but Mac is not an option here). The biggest issue with my HP computer was that it got way too hot even just by watching youtube(let alone playing games), having an external cooler wont make it much better(ironically, with a Macbook air on my external cooler the laptop is quite cool, even making me feel cold lol). Is alienware generally better at handling heat problems compared to HP?

For the price go buy/make your own PC and you wont have to worry about stupid problems that come with laptops like overheating and throttling, and slower parts compared to there desktop sibblings. Laptops are good for mobility and browsing, Gaming that depends on who you ask, but there not ment for gaming imo do to heat/thermal/throttling issue they ALL have

Sponsored links

About the heat, I PERSONALLY have had NIGHTMARES and troubles with EVERY Dell I owned (and have heard some bad stories of Alienware since the Dell buyout); and what Macs are good at is running with the fan off as long as possible, not necessarily the cooling itself, AFAIK a few iMacs from a couple of years back were shooting their GPUs in the face because of that. I like Clevo-based PCs and MSI myself, I find Asus not bad at all but overpriced and walk (or rather run) away from Dells outside the professional environment. Of course Clevo and MSIs are made of plastic which some find tacky but I couldn't care less really.

I just got a Clevo-based one an am really happy with it regarding quality/preformance/price:

15inch 1080p matte screen
4800MQ (2.7GHz to 3.7GHz)
GTX 770m 3GB GDDR5
16GB RAM 2x8GB (2 free slots up to 32GB RAM) DDR3(L?) 1600MHz
2x120GB Crucial M500 RAID0
2x500GB/8GB Hybrid Seagate slimdrives RAID0
1xBluray reader/writer
Killer Wireless N + Bluetooth
Backlit 3-section keyboard
Backlit trackpad + fingerprint reader
Subwoofer
180W PSU
Artic Silver paste (cannot remember which one).
It does the Optimus dance.

I cannot stress the CPU over 79ºC with Prime95 and the like and Skyrim all maxed out with 16xantialiasing and 8xanisotropic at 1080p doesn't get the GPU over the 80ºC mark (my right side of the keyboard goes yellow when it surpasses that temp, I have a monitor, and I have never seen it yellow; I don't know the exact temperature but I know it's in between 60 and 79ºC Tongue).

It has dual cooling and is fairly fat (that's how it keeps the heat away Wink ) but that's what you get for such performance; it's also fairly silent when gaming because the vents on the back are seriously big, the fans don't have to work a lot to cool it even if it's beasty.

That costed 1900€ with shipping costs so not bad at all (I wanted a cheaper GPU but they didn't offer it with that model, I am not a gamer really, only got Skyrim to check the GPU now that I had to pay for it Tongue others can save on the Bluray, wireless card and RAIDing); I however bought it in Europe from a german site (mysn.de or mysn.eu) that ship to the UK (mysn.co.uk).

The 1GB/s reading off the SSDs is sexy though Laugh compiling the whole Android framework took around 8 hours on my old laptop; now with CCACHE enabled I can get it all compiles a LOT faster (the SSDs and the 16GB of RAM + CPU REALLY help on that) Smile and I never though I would use the fingerprint reader but it's quite a lot faster than typing the password in, I use it quite a lot now Smile

Trackpad is iffy but not too bad, keyboard is brilliant, sound I find really decent and it has an LED that tells you when the Nvidia/ATI is powered, which I find genious.

PCSX2 of course runs brilliantly, I completed Jak3 and SotC at 1080p with the CPU constatly turboboosting at slightly over 3.5GHz so no problems with slowdows Smile

You should check Clevo-based resellers in the US (Origin PC, Sager, Mythlogic or something like that, Malibal, ...) there are many with good laptops at a good price; it's something to consider. Honestly what Alienware do better is the HDMI in (how I would love that) and the new ones are Aluminium AFAIK.

Hope that helps you Smile

EDIT: Oh and in the US they are cheaper so my setup you might find for 1900$ in the US (but of course with import taxes here it isn't worth it).
Thx for all the comments guys, Ive made an order and the item will arrive on Friday. Cheers.
(11-28-2013, 03:40 AM)Hall of Famer Wrote: Thx for all the comments guys, Ive made an order and the item will arrive on Friday. Cheers.

What did you order?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(11-28-2013, 03:46 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: What did you order?

Advil? Smile
(11-28-2013, 03:54 AM)avih Wrote: Advil? Smile

lol
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-28-2013, 03:46 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: What did you order?

The first model, it costs $1850 lol but hopefully worth it.
(11-28-2013, 04:23 AM)Hall of Famer Wrote: The first model, it costs $1850 lol but hopefully worth it.

Awesome, I hope you enjoy it.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(11-28-2013, 04:30 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Awesome, I hope you enjoy it.

Laptops are usually cluttered with all sorts of crap, so i hope you'll go through a thorough cleanup first, or a format if you plan on re-installing some clean Windows Smile
Why dell? Should of looked at exoticpc.com first but oh well
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3