CPU frequency stuck, not using turbo boost
Hello everybody! I'm new here and I'm not a gamer nor a PC expert, so I'm sorry if I say something wrong. Some weeks ago I decided I wanted to play my old ps2 games again, so I downloaded and set up pcsx2 (v. 1.5.0, the lastest dev build), I have a low-average laptop but after several attempts I configured it the best way to play my games (basically the fastest settings and some hacks) and all seems to work fine. The main issue is that when there are complicated scenarios the game slows down (not much, about 80-90%, but still unplayable and annoying) and I'm pretty sure it depends on the cpu beacuse EE is about 100% (GS is constantly about 30-40%), but using core temp I noticed that the frequency is only 1,58 GHz! The base frequency is 1,6 GHz, so I guess it's not using turbo boost. I also noticed that as soon as I start the game it uses turbo boost (I guess), in fact the frequency goes up to almost 3 GHz, it runs very smoothly even in difficult scenarios and EE is generally less than 60%, but then after like 2 minutes the frequency drops to 1,58 GHz and gets stuck there (the game still runs pretty well but as I said it slows down depending on the scenario). Does anybody know why? I know it's pretty weird but I really have no idea why it doesn't use the CPU as much as it can all the time. I tried everything, everything is set to maximum performance, all emulation settings are set to maximum speed, the temperature is not too high. I know it could run my games smoothly, I only don't know why it doesn't (or at least not always). Thank you for your help!

PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8250U (quad core) @ 1,6 GHz (Turbo boost up to 3,40 GHz)
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

Sponsored links

(08-08-2019, 01:01 AM)gio_stz Wrote: Hello everybody! I'm new here and I'm not a gamer nor a PC expert, so I'm sorry if I say something wrong. Some weeks ago I decided I wanted to play my old ps2 games again, so I downloaded and set up pcsx2 (v. 1.5.0, the lastest dev build), I have a low-average laptop but after several attempts I configured it the best way to play my games (basically the fastest settings and some hacks) and all seems to work fine. The main issue is that when there are complicated scenarios the game slows down (not much, about 80-90%, but still unplayable and annoying) and I'm pretty sure it depends on the cpu beacuse EE is about 100% (GS is constantly about 30-40%), but using core temp I noticed that the frequency is only 1,58 GHz! The base frequency is 1,6 GHz, so I guess it's not using turbo boost. I also noticed that as soon as I start the game it uses turbo boost (I guess), in fact the frequency goes up to almost 3 GHz, it runs very smoothly even in difficult scenarios and EE is generally less than 60%, but then after like 2 minutes the frequency drops to 1,58 GHz and gets stuck there (the game still runs pretty well but as I said it slows down depending on the scenario). Does anybody know why? I know it's pretty weird but I really have no idea why it doesn't use the CPU as much as it can all the time. I tried everything, everything is set to maximum performance, all emulation settings are set to maximum speed, the temperature is not too high. I know it could run my games smoothly, I only don't know why it doesn't (or at least not always). Thank you for your help!

PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8250U (quad core) @ 1,6 GHz (Turbo boost up to 3,40 GHz)
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
This is laptop throttling. Laptop CPUs can turbo boost but because of the constant high temperatures they will not turbo boost for more than a minute or two under load. It is essentially pointless, but Intel and PC manufacturers love to use it because many people don't think about this. A U series CPU is intended for low power use anyways, hence the 1.6 GHz base clock.
Ok so I guess I can't do anything. I'm gonna look for some kind of help on the web anyway, but I think there is not an actual solution. Thank you very much anyway!!