CPU upgrade worth it??
790 chipset is DDR2 Smile I've got the 790x (Without the IGP on it) and even if the 980 runs also on DDR3 (CPU has a DDR2/3 Memory Controller) it will run also on DDR2 memory. I like the 980 quite alot my pc runs great and perhaps in a year orso I might change to a DDR3 Board Smile

By the looks of things I'm afraid u need to buy a new motherboard Fence. Look at the CPU Support List of your motherboard: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/intr...p?S_ID=374
This is the motherboard I am using and it's a very good motherboard with still DDR2 support, but it does support the 980 and even the X6 CPUs of AMD. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product...id=3107#ov

Anyhow the 980 Black Edition is a decent CPU in my opinion Smile

Sponsored links

I would not upgrade from a pretty high end AMD chip to another high end one.
Personally I think I'd keep the current AMD setup and switch to Intel (maybe 2500K) once pricing is okay.
(03-13-2012, 04:45 PM)rama Wrote: I would not upgrade from a pretty high end AMD chip to another high end one.
Personally I think I'd keep the current AMD setup and switch to Intel (maybe 2500K) once pricing is okay.
what he said^^^^ also anything that can run PCSX2 smooth should be able to run all your other EMUs as well+^_^+
Signature purposefully left blank.
that may be, but I still think for only PCSX2 buying an insanely expensive CPU is kinda thrown away money Smile And AMD works just fine well atleast for me it does and it is affordeable Smile
Thanks guys I am going to keep my current setup, had a best buy gift card so I ordered a corsair h80
water cooler maybe I can get her to 3.9ghz....
why the H80 you might as well get the H100..., but yeah as long as the temps stay down it should go higher.
actually fence the specs in my sig is the computer im on. and it will do GT4 with all the cars at 40fps, and no I dnt like it
either, but my new PC that im building for my wife, will be
Intel DH67BL motherboard
I5 2500K 3.3ghz (with integrated graphics) *wont need it*
GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support( vga,hdmi,dvi)*not mini HDMI
H100 Corsair cooler
APEVIA MX-PLEASURE-BK Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
so my system compared to hers...hers will be WAY DOMINANT, even on PCSX2 because it is an intel system.
(OS:Win7_64bit ULTIMATE) (M4a88TD-M asus mobo)
[Processor:AMD AthlonII x4 645 3.720ghz(OC)Quadcore]
VideoCard-[ATIradeon5750(OC) 850mhz 2GB
RAM-[DDR3-4GB Matched RAM w/ Heat Spreaders]HYperX BLU
cpu-cooler- H60 closed loop water cooling.
Only downside is that when you buy a computercase with a psu built-in the psu will suck bigtime. It never produces enough juice. Most people also think that the Wattage is the most important on a PSU, but it's the Amps on the 5 and 12v+ line Smile