CPU upgrade worth it??
Hello all, using latest version of pcsx2 with the following setup:

AMD Phenom II x4 940 (overclocked to 3.7ghz)
HD4870 (overclocked to 800 / 1000)

Everything is smooth sailing except....Gran Turismo 3/4.

I have read about all the setup tweaks but cannot seem to get acceptable speed if there are other cars on the track with me.

Question is where is my bottleneck is it the CPU or GPU? I am considering buying a new Phenom II x4 980 (which I am guessing I can OC to 4.1 or 4.2ghz), will it matter?

Everything else I run works ok (from epsxe, nulldc, dolphin, ssf) on my setup so I dont want to invest in new CPU unless it is going to work.

Any chance that my current setup should run these games and I need to tweak more??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

GT4 is so demanding that it doesn't even run that well on my overclocked Intel chip..
You can check if it's your GPU though by testing the game in native resolution.
(03-12-2012, 04:02 PM)FenceMan Wrote: Question is where is my bottleneck is it the CPU or GPU? I am considering buying a new Phenom II x4 980 (which I am guessing I can OC to 4.1 or 4.2ghz), will it matter?

Two things:

That really isn't a "upgrade",
since you're basically buying the same chip,
just pre-set to a higher clockrate.

Your "guessing" truely is that.
There's no reason to expect that CPU will OC that much better,
other than the fact that OC results can vary between even the same chip.

A good example would be a 955 processor that OC'd easy to 4.0Ghz,
but a 975 needs extra voltage for the same.
(That's based on my experience.)

If you want a much more substanstial CPU upgrade,
you should be considering an Intel Core i processor.
An i5-2500K would clock over 4.0Ghz, I assure you.
And it would be much more effective at that.

But like rama said;
Check native res and be sure it's not where your bottleneck is.
(03-12-2012, 06:49 PM)Rezard Wrote: Two things:

That really isn't a "upgrade",
since you're basically buying the same chip,
just pre-set to a higher clockrate.

Your "guessing" truely is that.
There's no reason to expect that CPU will OC that much better,
other than the fact that OC results can vary between even the same chip.

A good example would be a 955 processor that OC'd easy to 4.0Ghz,
but a 975 needs extra voltage for the same.
(That's based on my experience.)

If you want a much more substanstial CPU upgrade,
you should be considering an Intel Core i processor.
An i5-2500K would clock over 4.0Ghz, I assure you.
And it would be much more effective at that.

But like rama said;
Check native res and be sure it's not where your bottleneck is.

I would gladly buy that CPU but it will not work with my motherboard (socket AM2+) correct? I was just picking the highest clocked chip I could find to fit in my motherboard. Are you saying that the 980 is basically my 940 with a higher clock speed? I was thinking if I could go from 3.0-->3.7 with the 940 I should be able to go from 3.7-->4.2 with the 980??

So the GPU is responsible if I run at higher than native resolution?

(03-12-2012, 08:15 PM)FenceMan Wrote: I would gladly buy that CPU but it will not work with my motherboard (socket AM2+) correct?

Correct.
A motherboard just to use a 2nd gen Core i would be ~$50,
and ones that can OC are around $100 at least (P67 or Z68).

(03-12-2012, 08:15 PM)FenceMan Wrote: Are you saying that the 980 is basically my 940 with a higher clock speed?

Basically-- yes.

(03-12-2012, 08:15 PM)FenceMan Wrote: I was thinking if I could go from 3.0-->3.7 with the 940 I should be able to go from 3.7-->4.2 with the 980??

I understand why you would think that,
but usually not the case.

Your instinct to obtain the highest clockrate is a good one,
but there is a point where they basically just OC'd it for you. Wink

(03-12-2012, 08:15 PM)FenceMan Wrote: So the GPU is responsible if I run at higher than native resolution?

Well, it does always depend.

If your GPU is relatively weak,
it can be responsible for slow performance even at native res.

Your's is pretty good,
so should not be a bottleneck by the time you get down to native. Smile
(03-12-2012, 06:16 PM)rama Wrote: GT4 is so demanding that it doesn't even run that well on my overclocked Intel chip..
You can check if it's your GPU though by testing the game in native resolution.
Really? my humble laptop plays it full speed with my specks and using just MTVU hack + the 3 recommended ones at 1200x1200
http://imagebin.org/203130
The Image came out blurry, but it doesnt play blurry Smile

Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
Perhaps rama is more familiar with the PITA the game has always been,
and not how well it could be made to run now.
(you are using MTVU with a quad, as opposed to his dual)
(03-13-2012, 12:41 AM)Rezard Wrote: Perhaps rama is more familiar with the PITA the game has always been,
and not how well it could be made to run now.
(you are using MTVU with a quad, as opposed to his dual)
Ahh ..yes that makes sense, he probably doesnt have much time to actually play games, what with all those svn`s he keeps pumping out Smile
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
In defense of moving up to the 980 in a way. It is likely that you will get a higher overclock on that chip not to mention DDR3 support (from the CPU not the motherboard) as long as your motherboard supports the 980.

The Phenom II 940 is a C2 stepping chip DDR2 support only it is a first generation Phenom II chip the Phenom II 980 is a refined and last generation Phenom II chip using the C3 stepping the likelyness that this chip will overclock better is much higher than the original chips like the one you currently have not to mention you will have access to the AM3+ motherboards and DDR3 for things like USB3 and maybe Piledriver later this year.
(03-13-2012, 05:15 AM)caqde Wrote: In defense of moving up to the 980 in a way. It is likely that you will get a higher overclock on that chip not to mention DDR3 support (from the CPU not the motherboard) as long as your motherboard supports the 980.

The Phenom II 940 is a C2 stepping chip DDR2 support only it is a first generation Phenom II chip the Phenom II 980 is a refined and last generation Phenom II chip using the C3 stepping the likelyness that this chip will overclock better is much higher than the original chips like the one you currently have not to mention you will have access to the AM3+ motherboards and DDR3 for things like USB3 and maybe Piledriver later this year.

Motherboard is a Biostar ta790gx a2+, final opinions please, should I (can I) upgrade the CPU to the 980 or what would be my price range for a good machine that can run pcsx2 well (while still maintaining my current very good performance on dolphin, nulldc, and my other emu's)??

Or do I just keep what I have (can run my other favorite games so far like Fire Pro Wrestling Returns and King of Colosseum II at 3x resolution and full speed, going to try FFX and God of War 2 later)??