CPU usage
For some reason when i use pcsx2 the framerate is always quite low (~20 or so) and the cpu usage hovers at around 40%. So this means that my cpu is 60% slacking off right? Is there a way to maximise usage of the cpu? My cpu is a Intel Pentium D with dual core (3.00 ghz each).

Sponsored links

that's the GPU, actually, your cpu always uses 100% (that is that cpu load GSdx is using)

pc specs and pcsx2 settings/plugins please?
It's depending on the game you're playing however a Pentium D really cant play many games at enjoyable speeds. Post your pcsx2 settings, the game you're trying to play and your graphics card so we can see if we can help you.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Oh, i'm trying to play final fantasy x. I have a nvidia geforce 9600 gt and my settings on pcsx2 for graphics are gsdx 890, renderer direct 3d9, pixel shader 3.0, no interlacing and resolution 1024x1024. Or should i use the zerogs plugin instead?
no, zerogs is really outdated. download a newer version from the gsdx thread (be careful, there is a revision that has a bug which delete memory cards O.o)
the real problem, sadly is still the cpu, try using newer versions (the betas)
My Laptop:
CPU: intel T4200 @ 2.0 ghz
GPU: Intel GMA X4500M
Ram: 3 Gb DDR2
SO: WinVista Home Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate x32
I downloaded the latest pcsx2 beta version and switched on all hacks i could find, and managed to increase fps to about 40 in the starting fmv. Is it like this only for videos, or for everything?
If it was FFX-2 i'd say yes but for FFX not so much, just see how it is ingame? :P
I get about 45-50 fps ingame, good enough so i don't have to keep bugging my friend to lend me his ps2, i can just borrow the ffx disc. Btw my cousin has an intel core 2 duo cpu (2x 3ghz) and the same graphics card as me, but he gets better framerates then me. But my cpu is also a 2x 3ghz double core, and in fact i have 1gb more of ram than him, How is it then that he can run pcsx2 better than me?
Problem is Core 2 Duo is a much better CPU than a Pentium D, your Pentium D 3GHz is about as good as a 1.8GHz core 2 duo maybe.
pretty much everything (baring a FEW videos) uses the same render, so it'll most likely be the same all the way though.