CPU usage drops to nearly 0%
Hmm. Try running GPU-Z and see if it can read the temps on your GPU, and if so what they are. Also note GPU usage % I suspected CPU throttling, maybe it's GPU throttling.

Remember an on die GPU like the Intel HD ones share TDP and power with the CPU. So it's hard to make both the CPU and GPU work at 100% load at the same time. This could be the issue.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

Ill check the temps again though I think they check out. Changing the subject if I may, I've had a battery warning for a while now, (telling me I need to replace my battery) and although I never play any games without being plugged in I was curious if a faulty batter or power cable could cause the problems I'm experiencing.
I just checked the GPU temps using msi afterburner and they don't go over 60 degrees while playing on pcsx2.

I'm sorry about the double post, it was a genuine mistake. Its like 5:45am and I'm exhausted.
It's possible if the power supply doesn't have enough power available then yes it could cause the issue. If the power supply lacks the power to both run the PC and charge the battery, some laptops switch to a low power state.

What was the GPU usage % while playing?
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Okay!

I checked the GPU usage and when I was playing (running around in-game) around it sat around 50% I think the lowest it went was 46% and the highest was 58%. However! When I picked up my first red orb (I'm playing Devil may cry 2 and the new item screen/picture always triggers the dreaded fps drop) the usage went up to a solid 99%!

Certainly doesn't seem normal for a item picture.
Well, if your GPU usage is hitting 99% then there is your slowdown. What resolution are you running at in GSdx config?
I've always played at x3 native,
So try native?
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I've already tried using native and x2 and the fps doesn't drop so dramatically. However this doesn't solve my issue I used to be able to play these games at x3 resolution with a stable 60fps. The laggy periods I speak of are not normal fps drops.
Then it's almost certainly your power supply. That's the variable that has changed.