Can GSDX use multi-pass shaders ?
It doesn't as far as I know, but to me that's like asking if it supports printouts and pdf export of screenshots. I don't see an apparent use-case for it. It's a feature you can have but a feature without a use-case makes me wonder why anyone would ask for that feature.

Do you have an example of useful geometry or tesselation shader injection?

Sponsored links

(05-26-2014, 07:53 PM)bigpet Wrote: It doesn't as far as I know, but to me that's like asking if it supports printouts and pdf export of screenshots. I don't see an apparent use-case for it. It's a feature you can have but a feature without a use-case makes me wonder why anyone would ask for that feature.

Do you have an example of useful geometry or tesselation shader injection?

They can be used for tesselation for example.
tesselation doesn't work with the stuff the ps2 renders. lookup how tesselation works. you need normal maps or basicly normals to define the shape of the tesselated output. neither is being delivered by the ps2. you can't deform it. you can tesselate only flat triangles but it's pointless to do so, cause they are flat. maybe a hack would be to tesselate a batched fullscreen quad and apply the depth buffer as base for normal calculation in the domain shader - this is an idea that i just had, it's a kinda deferred tesselation pass - but it's barely controlable to make it look good for everything. and you gonna get issues with smearing or you could skip the tesselation and raymarch the scene to death to catch some displacements. this is some heavy sh*t. Laugh
(05-26-2014, 08:50 PM)dabore Wrote: tesselation doesn't work with the stuff the ps2 renders. lookup how tesselation works. you need normal maps or basicly normals to define the shape of the tesselated output. neither is being delivered by the ps2. you can't deform it. you can tesselate only flat triangles but it's pointless to do so, cause they are flat. maybe a hack would be to tesselate a batched fullscreen quad and apply the depth buffer as base for normal calculation in the domain shader - this is an idea that i just had, it's a kinda deferred tesselation pass - but it's barely controlable to make it look good for everything. and you gonna get issues with smearing or you could skip the tesselation and raymarch the scene to death to catch some displacements. this is some heavy sh*t. Laugh

So its possible but hard to implement but how about Parallax Occlusion mapping/Displacement mapping.
(05-26-2014, 09:10 PM)Monochrome100 Wrote: So its possible but hard to implement but how about Parallax Occlusion mapping/Displacement mapping.

Laugh why ask about every fu*king buzzword feature? read how that sh*t is implemented and how it works. it's the same stuff. does the ps2 deliver heightmaps? no. displacement maps? no. where you gonna get the textures from for that effects to render? they are not there. the only thing there is the possible depth buffer. a generic cheap real "fake" SSAO shader is possible if the game uses that depth buffer and you catch a good depth formula, but that's about it what can be done and maybe look good.

can we end this now? Biggrin
(05-26-2014, 09:27 PM)dabore Wrote: Laugh why ask about every fu*king buzzword feature? read how that sh*t is implemented and how it works. it's the same stuff. does the ps2 deliver heightmaps? no. displacement maps? no. where you gonna get the textures from for that effects to render? they are not there. the only thing there is the possible depth buffer. a generic cheap real "fake" SSAO shader is possible if the game uses that depth buffer and you catch a good depth formula, but that's about it what can be done and maybe look good.

can we end this now? Biggrin

So it would needs texture replacement first for these two.
Laugh for sure. how you gonna find the exact texture you wanna replace? file name is not working. dvd resource hacking for additional textures... neeeiiiitttthhher. you have any ideas howto do it?