Can GSdx be enabled to change to display's native resolution in fullscreen mode?
Let get this out of my head. When I toggle fullscreen, it means I'm rendering at my screen's resolution? (1366x768)

While in window mode I'm doing 1920x1080?
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Sponsored links

well i just tested it and NO !
Both are doing whatever internal resolution you're inputting on GSDX stretched/downscaled to whatever size the fullscreen or window are.
Alright. Thanks for clearing that up.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
DaMan: thanks for the tip. I tried it and it helps to make use of high resolutions in the desktop. However, some programs like photo and sound editors are still difficult to use for my taste. Also, I have a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP and in XP larger DPI is not very well done specially if you use a custom theme and/or visual style. And to be honest, I'm already used to the 1366x768 resolution on 16:9 screens (and 1440x900 on 16:10 ones) for working and browsing. As I said before, most emulators features an option to set the resolution to be used in fullscreen mode. I thought I wasn't supposed to make changes in my desktop environment. That's why I wish this feature could come back. I understand there are problems to do that, but from the post linked by KrossX (thanks!), it's been more than two years since the feature was removed. Perhaps there's any improvement nowadays?

miseru99: so that option is a bug in the GSdx interface. Thanks for the information. Should I report it in the "Bug reporting" forum or will the programmers read this thread by any chance?

Isamu: if you have a 1080p display but don't have this high resolution set in your desktop environment, so no, PCSX2 is not running in 1080p, but rather in the resolution you have in your desktop. I'm talking about the video mode used in fullscreen, not the internal rendering resolution, which can be set from "native" to "6x" or "custom". This is what indeed makes games look better.
However, if your desktop is 720p, your display is 1080p and the internal resolution is greater than 720p then you'll be missing some pixels when in fullscreen. It would be better to use that command tool to switch to 1080p when running PCSX2.

Honestly, I think non-CRT displays should always be working at their native resolutions. If text seems too small or something, just change the DPI/Scaling to suit your needs and keep'em pixels while at it.
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]
(08-23-2012, 09:42 PM)KrossX Wrote: However, if your desktop is 720p, your display is 1080p and the internal resolution is greater than 720p then you'll be missing some pixels when in fullscreen. It would be better to use that command tool to switch to 1080p when running PCSX2.
Yeah, but that will happen if your display is 720p (HD definition), 1680x1050 or anything less than the internal resolution applied.

Quote:Honestly, I think non-CRT displays should always be working at their native resolutions. If text seems too small or something, just change the DPI/Scaling to suit your needs and keep'em pixels while at it.
I believe that the resolution one uses in the desktop environment to work, browse etc is a personal setting as so as happens with the background color or picture, volume level, speakers setup, brightness, contrast and color tone adjustments, touchpad sensitiveness (on laptops) etc.

I just hope the feature to set the output resolution in fullscreen mode was removed from GSdx because of the development stage the plugin was found at that time, not because developers thought everybody should start setting their display's to the native resolution for all uses. The first point is acceptable to me, the second, not.
(08-22-2012, 12:10 PM)miseru99 Wrote: GSdx shows the first time config screen as a bug;P I once made a patch to fix it(removing obsolete not-used parts), but it was completely ignored. Those options do absolutely nothing and are just a leftover from ancient GSdx builds which HAD fullscreen mode(opposite to new one which simply stretches the window).
Probably there are no plans of restoring the fullscreen mode, soo forget about those confusing ghost-options from first time config. Workarounds is all you can do for your problem.

Care to make a google code issue and/or a thread in the bug report forum with your patch? Thanks
[Image: newsig.jpg]
For those who have the same problem as me, here is the workaround as suggested by KrossX:

Download NirCmd (32bit or 64bit. I use the 32bit because the executable is smaller: 36kb).
Put the "nircmd.exe" file in the same folder you have the "pscx2.exe" file.
Now create a new text file (*.txt) and use the sintax like explained below:

nircmd.exe setdisplay width height bitdepth: this will run NirCmd and set the resolution and bitdepth to be displayed;
pcsx2.exe: starts PCSX2;
nircmd.exe setdisplay width height bitdepth: it will set the resolution and bitdepth when the program specified above is closed. Useful to return to the resolution you had set in your desktop prior to running PCSX2;

Here is the sintax I use:
Code:
nircmd.exe setdisplay 1600 900 32
pcsx2.exe
nircmd.exe setdisplay 1366 768 32

Save the *.txt file with the values you need, name the file and then change its extension to *.bat.
Put the *.bat file in your PCSX2 folder and run it.

Now PCSX2 can be optimally used without having to change the desktop properties at all. NirCmd sets the resolution really fast and without prompts like "Is your display working?" or "Do you want to keep the changes?". If needed, the *.bat file can be later edited by just right-clicking it -> Edit.

Thanks KrossX again for the help. Cool