Can my computer run PCSX2?
RAM: 4GB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60 GHZ
Windows 7 64 Bit

I know very little of computers. If it helps I am mainly interested in RPGs

Xenosaga Trilogy, Dark Cloud Series, Dragon Quest VIII, Wild Arms Series etc

if more info is needed just let me know I can provide

Sponsored links

It won't be enough for the games you mentioned, sorry. you should consider getting a better pc.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
What kind of upgrades would I need to run it smoothly? How much faster should the ram, and processor be?
you would at least need any processor with Single thread performance more than 1400 to get a decent gameplay experience.

refer to this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

the following list sorts the processors from the power of order high to low on how it performs on single threaded applications. this will give you a rough understanding on the raw power needed to play games through pcsx2. Smile

// Thanks for the split. Mr. Moderator.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(04-25-2015, 06:05 PM)PS2Fan1988 Wrote: What kind of upgrades would I need to run it smoothly? How much faster should the ram, and processor be?

ram is fine. Get a good processor and a desktop one. A desktop i5 or i7 is good. I recommand i5 4690k.
[Image: lhljdGn.png]
My Steam Profile
Intel i7 8086k @ 4.0 ghz | Nvidia Gtx 980ti 6GB | Corsair Vengence pro 16gb DDR4 | WD Blue 1tb + Black 2tb hdd | Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD | Windows 10 pro

Your RAM isn't the issue. It's the CPU.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu...40+1.60GHz&id=851

If you take a look at that link, you'll see it has an STP (Single Thread Performance) of 872.
You need at least 1500~1600+ there to run most games at 60 FPS.

Recommended CPUs if you have a fairly decent budget are Intel Core i5-4670k, 4690k, etc. Or you can go with the G3258 which is fairly cheap but has quite an amazing performance for PCSX2. (up to par with i5s).

[Edit] Buncha ninja posts!
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
Thank you all for your replies. One last question is are these processors something I can buy and add on to an existing laptop, or what are some popular models withing the 300-750 dollar range (flexible) that can meet or exceed these requirements?
A little over your budget but, something like this will be pretty great for pcsx2.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP60-LEOPARD-4...B00N1YPR8C
- Refraction
upgrading notebooks cpu/gpu wise can be really complicated. Most notebooks use optimization with regard to cooling and power consumption. Putting another cpu inside could probably corrupt this concept: your battery will be drained very fast or your notebook will not even boot and it can get very hot. Many chips are as well soldered to the mainboard.

Adding RAM or changing the HDD might be possible in many cases but I would really not suggest to invest time in a cpu/gpu upgrade.

Keep in mind that a notebook that handles pcsx2 nicely costs twice in comparison to a stationary pc.
You would need to invest ~$400 for the performance and another ~$400 for portability. -> cheapest pc: $400, cheapest notebook ~$800