Can my old computer run any games at all, or should I fiddle more with the configs?
I'm really sorry guys for making another thread like this, but I've read many of the posts and threads without finding the answer I was looking for.

I have an old computer, but after reading threads like "Can my PC run this fast" or the official config guide, it seems like that my computer should be able to run games; not triple the original speed, but at least at a fairly playable speed.

Here's my computer specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
Nvidia GTS 250 1GB
2GB of RAM
Windows XP SP3

The games that I've tried are these:

- Cars (ran close to full-speed with many slowdowns while using a lot of speedhacks.)
- Ultimate Spider-Man (needed software mode to display anything, and ran at like 15-20 fps, completely unplayable.)
- The Urbz (ran at 35-37 fps, turning on a lot of speedhacks made it run at 40, still unplayable though.)
- MGS3 (had some graphical problems, some textures and effects were not visible unless using software mode, and on hardware mode it was running at close to full speed but with many slowdowns.)
- 007 Everything or Nothing (had to use a lot of speedhacks to get it to be somewhat playable, then some graphical problems appeared that I had to fix using skipdraw, but often had major slowdowns.)
- Viewtiful Joe (was running at like 20 fps, tweaked everything, didn't improve one bit.)
- Killer 7 (amazingly this ran at full speed, then I multiplied the native resolution to 4x, even then it ran at full speed, without even one slowdown.)
- Rule of Rose (used software mode to see all the effects like noise grain, but the game was running half-the full speed.)

This is probably not important, but I'm running the games using my PS2 discs. Sometimes the emulator stops for a second for the discs to load, but I don't think that affects the performance as I mean it.

I have some other games lying in front of me too, and I can test them too if it's needed. I have Silent Hill 3 and 4, Burnout Revenge, The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, Sims 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, Harry Potter and the Goblet, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Persona 3 and 4 and some more.

Sponsored links

Yeah but forget the demanding games, and you can overclock your cpu to 3,6ghz easily.
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
Corsair K95 RGB / Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Bose Companion 2 Serie III
Old JRPG fan, experienced mmo player, PC hardware expert
It can though... I wouldn't expect many to run could you let me know what motherboard you have
Motherboard: SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz @ 4.8ghz 1.41 v
GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 @ 1866
If you already tested many games why do you still ask? Or to reformulate: What is your question?

The two obvious problems you currently have are: WinXP-> Dx9 limitation and DVD instead of iso. The first problem will be harder to solve due to 2gb RAM but creating iso's will be easy and should give you some performance increase...
(04-25-2015, 12:28 AM)desertofunknown Wrote: It can though... I wouldn't expect many to run could you let me know what motherboard you have

Asus P5B
FFX should run and 2x or atlest it did when i had similar build, but this 5+ years go when pcsx2 was less demanding
(04-25-2015, 12:52 AM)babalon Wrote: Asus P5B

I suggest upgrading to Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 $70~ and pairing it with a 660ti which you can get for round $125 on ebay if you cant afford a 660ti i would suggest the nvidia 660
(04-25-2015, 01:39 AM)desertofunknown Wrote: I suggest upgrading to Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 $70~ and pairing it with a 660ti which you can get for round $125 on ebay if you cant afford a 660ti i would suggest the nvidia 660

I wouldn't recommend a C2Q anymore. It's pointless for PCSX2 and most games. Honestly, I would get a new rig if I were considering an upgrade.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
I agree with Nobbs. It is about time to put that old girl out to pasture. Giving it a new CPU is like giving a 80 year old man a new heart.. Defeats the purpose.
MOBO - GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM - 32 Gigs DDR4
HDD - To many to note. NVEM, SSD and HDD
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
OS- Windows 10

(04-25-2015, 01:50 AM)JobeStroud Wrote: I agree with Nobbs. It is about time to put that old girl out to pasture. Giving it a new CPU is like giving a 80 year old man a new heart.. Defeats the purpose.

True... though in his situation it would be the cheapest short term option... if he has the budget to make a new build that would be best in the long term