Can someone tell me where I'm bottlenecking?
I know there are tons of topics on FFXII, but after a couple days of googling and searching here I can't seem to find an answer to my specific problem, so any help would be much appreciated.

My problem is that I can run FFXIII very well using the latest PCSX2 beta and the plugins it comes with. It's quite amazing how far you can turn up the resolution on this game! But despite the resolution I set it at (very high or very low), I get about a 10-15 fps drop in the towns or when I come across treasure chests in the field. I found that by trying an older GSdx plugin I can eliminate the fps slowdown in the field, but the town issue is still present (Rabanastre and the camp on the Giza Plains especially). Here are some of my pc specs

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 32-bit, Windows 7
GeForce GTX260

I've messed with the settings and tried some of the speed hacks, but nothing solves the slowdowns in the areas I've listed above. I was wondering if I am bottlenecking somewhere or what. I am reading from an ISO file that I made from the disc.

In the areas mentioned, the FPS can go to about 40, and the EE is at about 75% and GS at 35%. I'm using the Direct3d 10 hardware setting (have tried 9 as well, same problems)

Even if I switch to native resolution, the framerate does not change. This is what really confuses me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored links

Its your CPU most likely.
Its your cpu clock, overclock to 3.2Ghz and you will be good. I had to go over 3Ghz on my i7 to get full speeds in bazzar/camp on the Giza Plains in FF12.
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.36v Cogage Arrow
Ram: 3x2GB OCZ Gold 1690 9-9-8-24 1.65v
GPU: MSI GTX580 Lightning @ 970/2200 1.09v+MSI GTX460 Hawk PhysX
HDD: Corsair Force GT 120, 2x F4 320GB Raid 0,F4 2TB, WD-G 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850 80 PLUS SILVER Modular
Case: Antec 1200 EVGA Mod
(01-09-2011, 08:12 PM)vdgamer Wrote: Its your cpu clock, overclock to 3.2Ghz and you will be good. I had to go over 3Ghz on my i7 to get full speeds in bazzar/camp on the Giza Plains in FF12.

Forgive my ignorance - I've never overclocked, could you tell me how to do it and if it will hurt anything? I've got a Dell XPS420 but have put in the GTX 260 and a 750 watt power supply if that says anything....
overclocking will not hurt your cpu, overclocking is normal thing nowdays, but first you have to check if your bios is unlocked for overclocking since your pc is factory manufactured(they lock bios most of the time), restart pc and press delete key or one of the F keys(it should tell you what to press to enter bios at startup sceen), in bios check if you can change multiplier and fsb values and vcore voltage, if you can than you have capability to overclock exit bios without saving dont change anything until you know what your doing, basics are multiplier x fsb= core speed, you can only overclock so high on stock voltage and its different for every cpu so you will have to try and see if you need to raise voltage to reach 3.2Ghz, i would strongly suggest to go to http://www.overclockers.com/forums/ and register than post detailed cpu specs and ask for help overclocking it, you will get the best advice there, i have never overclocked cpu like yours so i cant tell you the specifics like how much voltage you need to reach 3.2Ghz and best fsb and multiplies settings, just remember that giving too much voltage to cpu will shorten its life or kill it so first check maximum vcore voltage allowed for your cpu model, besides that theres no way you can hurt cpu by overclocking, well you have to keep your temps within reasonable range too, but if you ask for help on http://www.overclockers.com/forums/ you will get all the info you need and they have guides put together for specific cpus.
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.36v Cogage Arrow
Ram: 3x2GB OCZ Gold 1690 9-9-8-24 1.65v
GPU: MSI GTX580 Lightning @ 970/2200 1.09v+MSI GTX460 Hawk PhysX
HDD: Corsair Force GT 120, 2x F4 320GB Raid 0,F4 2TB, WD-G 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850 80 PLUS SILVER Modular
Case: Antec 1200 EVGA Mod