Can't boot MDS files with 1.4.0
My problem is that I can no longer run my games which are in MDS-format. Actually there are .mds, .i00 and .i01 files for each game.

I’ve played these very same games before so I’m sure that files are fine. I then remembered I had updated from PCSX2 1.2.1 to 1.4.0 a while ago. I haven't actually used this latest version after updating. I downloaded version 1.2.1 and every file is working!

So my question is can I somehow make these files work with 1.4.0? Is there something wrong with my settings or is this feature removed from latest version? While it’s not a huge problem I’d naturally prefer using the latest version and more importantly I’d only like to use one version.

Backstory here is that I used to rip all of my discs and transfer the files to PS2 with HDLoader software. Couple of years ago I decided to start only using PCSX2 so I’d no longer need to have PS2 in my living room. So what I did then was that I connected PS2 to PC and copied the game files to my PC hard drive through local network.

All my games from that time are in this weird .mds format. I don’t remember the reasoning behind this thing anymore. Later I’ve ripped other discs to .iso format and all of those work fine with the latest PCSX2 also.

I actually went and ripped some of my discs again to .iso format and those work fine. However one disc refuses to work probably because it seems to be in terrible condition even though I tend to take good care of my discs. One of these previous rips is also modified with language patch which I can’t find anywhere so I’d pretty much need need to use at least some of my existing rips.

If I try to load .mds file (these are all 1kB files by the way) with 1.4.0 I get this error:

CDVD plugin failed to open. Your computer may have insufficient resourced or incompatible hardware/drivers

Tried switching CDVD plugin. Didn’t help.

If I boot .i00 file (aroung 4gb in size), PCSX2 crashed completely with generic Windows error. Last thing I see in console is Opening CDVD.

I guess another solution would be to convert these existing rips to .iso format but I don’t know how. Tried to mount these with Daemon Tools but I get error which basically tells me that files are unsupported or corrupted. Even still I’m curious why 1.4.0 no longer accepts these files?

I also tried the latest dev build but I get same results as with stable 1.4.0.

Sponsored links

Interesting, are you up to the task to track down the regression build ?

All 1.3.1 builds with download links are included in the txt attachment.

Attached Files
.txt   1.3.1 Builds.txt (Size: 89,17 KB / Downloads: 219)
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
use the pcsx2 internal loader if you have MDS or BIN format file...and not via plug-in based CDVD.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Thanks for trying to help!

(12-12-2017, 01:23 AM)smartstrike Wrote: use the pcsx2 internal loader if you have MDS or BIN format file...and not via plug-in based CDVD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the internal loader working when I run my game like this:

1. CDVD > Iso (selected)
2. CDVD > Iso selector > Browse to my file
3. System > Boot CDVD (full) or (fast) - both lead to same result

This is what I've always done. Please let me know if something need to be changed.

(12-12-2017, 12:19 AM)lightningterror Wrote: Interesting, are you up to the task to track down the regression build ?

All 1.3.1 builds with download links are included in the txt attachment.

I tried the first and last version in this list on I get the same error. Maybe we should start tracking from version 1.2.1 onwards? Do you happen to have similar list for those versions?

I used all default settings and plugins. Basically didn't change anything besides bios location folder.
It's because you're using Linuziso plugin

Try using the is loader in the "file" drop down menu
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-12-2017, 02:36 PM)jesalvein Wrote: It's because you're using Linuziso plugin

Try using the is loader in the "file" drop down menu

Could you please give specific path?

I can't even see drop down menu called file. Listed in the main window are System, CDVD, Config, Misc, Debug
[Image: 1513084694-snap-screen-20171212141742.png]
then perform a fast boot or a full boot
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-12-2017, 03:18 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [Image: 1513084694-snap-screen-20171212141742.png]
then perform a fast boot or a full boot

This is exactly what I tried to explain in my previous post.

Done all this but it doesn't work with more recent versions.
How are you running the games with 1.2.0
Are you using the CDVD=>Iso and then select the image or you are using a plugin

There are couple of things I would think without reading your post

1.With pcsx2 1.2.0 you first mounted the image(for example with Daemon Tools or something else)and then used CDVD=>Plugin(Gigahertz selected as CDVD plugin)
2.With pcsx2 1.2.0 you used CDVD=>Plugin(Linuzappz Iso selected as CDVD pluging)and select the image when you use fast or full boot
I checked and with 1.2.1 I'm running the game in similar fashion as suggested in screenshot above. Honestly I haven't even paid attention to that plugin setting before. Iso has always been selected by default and I've never touched it.

I've not used Daemon tools. These old weird files don't even mount with Daemon tools for some reason Laugh

To clarify, if I select 1kb MDS file I get that "insufficient resources" error with 1.2.1 also. However when I select the 4gig *.i00 file the game boots fine. This results in PCSX2 crashing with more recent versions.